The Last Fish Tale: The Fate of the Atlantic and Survival in Gloucester, America's Oldest Fishing Port and Most Original Town

by Mark Kurlansky | Nonfiction |
Registered by wingbooklady331wing of Cape Coral, Florida USA on 9/2/2010
Journal Entry 1 by wingbooklady331wing from Cape Coral, Florida USA on Friday, December 03, 2010
If you are new to BookCrossing and found this book and this site, Welcome!

Journal Entry 2 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Thursday, February 22, 2018
I discovered this author when I read the book Cod that I really enjoyed.
The author, in writing about the history of Gloucester, captures the feel of the city and its inhabitants. He begins with the discovery of the town, and progressing through the history up until the book was written. The author shows some the difficulties that have occurred over the past several centuries.

From the history of the city, the author addresses the reasons that fish stocks are declining and discusses the bitterness found between government regulators and the people who earn a living fishing.
In addition, the book compares similar towns in other countries to allow the reader to realize that this is a problem that exists throughout the world. He also examines the effect of tourism on the towns and the problems tourism can create in working fishing villages. This is something I have never thought of.

This book is a good general look at the history of Gloucester, as well as fish depletion.