American Rust

by Philipp Meyer | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by 4evagreen of Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom on 6/1/2020
Journal Entry 1 by 4evagreen from Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Monday, June 01, 2020
Received as a BookMooch.

Journal Entry 2 by 4evagreen at Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Thursday, October 08, 2020
“You ought to be able to grow up in a place and not have to get the hell out of it when you turn eighteen.”

American Rust is set in a small Pennsylvania steel town named Buell, a place that had been a wealthy steel town but since the closure of the mills is a place where jobs are scarce and foreclosures are on the rise, where older residents feel trapped and younger ones are eager to take wing and flee. Buell is the underbelly of the 'American Dream'.

I grew up in Cornwall, a beautiful part of the country but also one with limited job opportunities, so on leaving school moved away to find employment, as did many of my contemporaries, so can certainly appreciate with the tough choices made here, by those who chose to leave and those who opted to remain. There are certainly elements of Salinger within this book but I also saw a touch of Moby Dick's Ishmail in Isaac, a young man struggling to cope in an alien environment.

It seems strange to be reading this whilst there is a Presidential election going on in America. As an outsider I struggled to see the attraction of Trump the first time around but having read this I feel that I have a little more insight into the hopelessness that many in the country's so called 'Rust Belt' must have felt and how how they feel discarded by conventional politicians. Here we get glimpses into some of the town's local politics and it isn't particularly pleasant reading.

Overall a very enjoyable read that deserves to be on the 1001 list.

Journal Entry 3 by 4evagreen at Whaley Bridge, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Saturday, October 10, 2020

Released 8 mos ago (10/10/2020 UTC) at Whaley Bridge, Derbyshire United Kingdom

Spotted this on a Wishlist so going out to hopefully make a new friend. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by kingfan30 at -- Somewhere in Lincs, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Monday, October 12, 2020
Thank you so much for the book off my wish list