People of the Book

by Geraldine Brooks | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 000728828X Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingsumakowing of Kuopio, Pohjois-Savo / Norra Savolax Finland on 4/15/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingsumakowing from Kuopio, Pohjois-Savo / Norra Savolax Finland on Saturday, April 15, 2017
Paperback. - Harper Perennial, 2008. - 371 pages

www.amazon.com (15.4.2017):

A novel from the author of ‘March’ and ‘Year of Wonders’ takes place in the aftermath of the Bosnian War, as a young book conservator arrives in Sarajevo to restore a lost treasure.

When Hannah Heath gets a call in the middle of the night in her Sydney home about a precious medieval manuscript which has been recovered from the smouldering ruins of wartorn Sarajevo, she knows she is on the brink of the experience of a lifetime. A renowned book conservator, she must now make her way to Bosnia to start work on restoring The Sarajevo Haggadah, a Jewish prayer book – to discover its secrets and piece together the story of its miraculous survival. But the trip will also set in motion a series of events that threaten to rock Hannah’s orderly life, including her encounter with Ozren Karamen, the young librarian who risked his life to save the book.

As meticulously researched as all of Brooks’s previous work, ‘People of the Book’ is a gripping and moving novel about war, art, love and survival.

Released 2 yrs ago (4/21/2017 UTC) at Bookcrossing Convention Oslo 2017 in St. Hanshaugen bydel, Oslo fylke Norway

Releasing this to the book buffet

Journal Entry 3 by FraukeRo at Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Monday, April 24, 2017
Couldn't resist the temptation at the convention in Oslo, so this book came home with me :-)

Journal Entry 4 by FraukeRo at Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Saturday, June 24, 2017
I really enjoyed this story, both with Hanna's "real" contemporary storyline and the imagined travels of the book (in the true spirit of bookcrossing :-D). Sad how much the different "people of the book" had to go through, but at the same time encouraging how they worked together knowingly and unknowingly throughout centuries to protect the book and precious work of art that could easily have been lost!

I liked the hints at how Australians would be suited for working with European heritage, on the one hand because they have (sometimes many different) European roots but on the other hand because they are neutral enough not to upset anyone in delicate political issues... I wonder if the author has had to explain these issues a lot?

Released 2 yrs ago (8/30/2017 UTC) at STF Göteborg City Hotell och vandrarhem in Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden

Coming with me for today's meet-up

Released 11 mos ago (4/25/2019 UTC) at Haus der Jugend - BC Convention 2019 in Mainz, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany

Brought with us from Gothenburg, Sweden to the Bookcrossing convention.

Journal Entry 7 by bookguide at Wijchen, Gelderland Netherlands on Wednesday, May 01, 2019
Selected from the table at the wonderful BC convention in Mainz to be added to my enormous Mount TBR.
I can't remember if this was on my BC wishlist or not; if not, it should have been because I've wanted to read this for years. Thank you for bringing it to the convention.