Clara and Mr. Tiffany: A Novel

by Susan Vreeland | Audiobooks |
Registered by indygo88 of Lafayette, Indiana USA on 2/13/2015
Journal Entry 1 by indygo88 from Lafayette, Indiana USA on Friday, February 13, 2015
"Against the unforgettable backdrop of New York near the turn of the twentieth century, from the Gilded Age world of formal balls and opera to the immigrant poverty of the Lower East Side, bestselling author Susan Vreeland again breathes life into a work of art in this extraordinary novel, which brings a woman once lost in the shadows into vivid color.

It’s 1893, and at the Chicago World’s Fair, Louis Comfort Tiffany makes his debut with a luminous exhibition of innovative stained-glass windows, which he hopes will honor his family business and earn him a place on the international artistic stage. But behind the scenes in his New York studio is the freethinking Clara Driscoll, head of his women’s division. Publicly unrecognized by Tiffany, Clara conceives of and designs nearly all of the iconic leaded-glass lamps for which he is long remembered.

Clara struggles with her desire for artistic recognition and the seemingly insurmountable challenges that she faces as a professional woman, which ultimately force her to protest against the company she has worked so hard to cultivate. She also yearns for love and companionship, and is devoted in different ways to five men, including Tiffany, who enforces to a strict policy: he does not hire married women, and any who do marry while under his employ must resign immediately. Eventually, like many women, Clara must decide what makes her happiest—the professional world of her hands or the personal world of her heart."

Acquired via PaperBackSwap. (Unabridged on 13 CDs; read by Kimberly Farr)

Journal Entry 2 by indygo88 at Lafayette, Indiana USA on Thursday, September 15, 2022
Louis Comfort Tiffany, later renowned for his Tiffany lampshades, first makes himself known as a creator of beautiful stained glass windows. Behind the scenes, a group of women are in charge of actually choosing the specific varieties of glass, matching them to the designer's artwork, and creating the finished product. Heading up the group of women is Clara Driscoll, widowed but determined to make her mark under Tiffany's watchful eye.

Well, I bailed on this one. I've read a few previous novels by Susan Vreeland and though her novels are generally slow-moving and filled with detail, I've enjoyed them for the most part. But I really couldn't make myself like Clara's character in this one and it this just dragged too slowly for me. I read this one on audio. When you find yourself persevering with a story just to get it over with so that you can start your next book, it's time to cut your losses and move on. So I did. Sorry, Ms. Vreeland. (I didn't realize, but she passed in 2017. R.I.P.) I still have a couple other of her audiobooks on my shelf, so I'm hoping I will enjoy them more than I did this one.

Journal Entry 3 by indygo88 at Lafayette, Indiana USA on Wednesday, April 5, 2023
Passing along in an audio bookbox!

Journal Entry 4 by wingKateKintailwing at Burke, Virginia USA on Friday, July 14, 2023
Taking this out of the audiobook box to enjoy. Thank you!

I loooooove other books by this author (and saw her speak once at the National Book Festival), so I'm super excited about this one!

Journal Entry 5 by wingKateKintailwing at Burke, Virginia USA on Sunday, June 16, 2024
This wasn't my favorite book by the author. But I did enjoy it more than the reviews I read hinted I would.

I learned so much about the Tiffany companies, the world's fair, and this talented group of women working in a men's industry. And I developed a lot of respect for the stained glass art form.

I could have done without the love story angle. The back summary mentions the different men the main character, Clara, loves. I could easily have skipped over them, especially the one that ended in such terrible mystery. But I still enjoyed the book as a whole and would highly recommend it.

Journal Entry 6 by wingKateKintailwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Sunday, June 16, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (6/16/2024 UTC) at Alexandria, Virginia USA

Bringing this to a BCinDC meeting so it can find a new reader. Enjoy!

Welcome to BookCrossing!

I hope you enjoy the book. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 7 by wing6of8wing at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, etc, Virginia USA on Tuesday, June 18, 2024
KateKintail brought quite a few audiobooks to the meet-up but there weren't really any takers. I brought this one home to try for myself first because I have enjoyed other books by the author. But it was momentarily in the stack for the ones to rehome without reading.