Recent Book Activity
Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage
Serendipity: My Path through Life and Law
A Private Cathedral
The Geometry of Holding Hands
All the Devils Are Here
The Maltese Falcon
Small Beneath the Sky
The Return of the Soldier
Water Lily: A Novel of Mystery
The Law Of Love
Rural Voices YA Anthology
The Broken Man
The Sorrows of Young Werther
The Spy Who Came in from the Cold
A Dog's Way Home
|4 weeks||all time|
|released in the wild||1||1,925|
|controlled releases caught||0||98|
|new member referrals||0||22|
The 2019 Canada Days release challenge is over. See the release and catch numbers on this chart.
The 2018 Canada Days release challenge had 11 Canadian and 8 non-Canadian participants and a total of 359 books released.
A new record was set for the Sesquicentennial Canada Days release challenge in 2017. A total of 1111 books were released during the 15 days of the challenge.
The 2016 Canada Days release challenge started on June 24 and finished on July 4. A total of 617 books were released. The 2015 Canada Days release challenge started on June 24 and finished on July 5. A total of 582 books were released.
The 2014 Canada Days release challenge started on June 21 and finished on July 1. A total of 572 books were released.
The 2013 Canada Days release challenge is over with 568 books released.
The 2012 Canada Days release challenge is over and we had a great year with 911 books released.
The 2011 Canada Day release challenge is over and 840 books were released.
The 2010 Canada Day release challenge is now over. Over 400 books have been released which is much less than previous years. But we all had fun which is the important thing.
The 2009 Canada Day release challenge was wonderful and 796 books were released.
The 2008 Canada Day release resulted in 687 books by Canadians or about Canada wild released in Canada and around the world.
The 2007 Canada Day release challenge was a huge success with 773 books wild released.
My 2006 Canada Day release challenge was a great success with 648 books wild released in Canada and around the world.
If you would like to suggest a trade I will gladly consider it but I may not agree especially if the book is hardcover.
I stumbled across this concept when I was searching for information on a book my book club read in April 2005 (The Secret Life of Bees). I read a lot and since joining BookCrossing I believe I am reading more. I had a lot of books in my personal library when I started but I have released most of them and have acquired more from library book sales, Goodwill, gifts and so on.
The picture is of my dog, Gypsy, who was put to sleep on June 28 2014. A Border Collie whom we adopted from the Humane Society in the spring of 1997, she was a sweet and loyal dog. After living without a pet in the house since the summer of 2018 we adopted an 8 week old Border Collie pup at the end of June 2019. Kootenay is now keeping us busy but giving us lots of licks and love.
September 16, 2020
Because I'm a bit of a stats freak I'm keeping track of my "wild" catches as opposed to the total catches which result from controlled releases as well as wild releases. I have now released 1763 books into the wild and 311 have been caught (a 17.6% catch rate). Of those 311 18 were caught by BXers who went looking for them, 4 were caught by a BXer who just stumbled on it, 19 were caught by a BXer from the OBCZ shelf, 114 were caught by new members, 3 were caught by old members who had been inactive and the rest were caught anonymously. Thirty-six wild releases that were re-released have been caught and journalled again and this one, this one, this one and this one have been caught three times.
1. To read all the books other BookCrossers have given me to the end of 2019, a total of 5 books. As of June 12 I have read 3 books
1. Vinyl Cafe Unplugged by Stuart McLean brought to a Winnipeg BookCrossers meeting by judysh
2. Cannery Row by John Steinbeck, brought to a Winnipeg BXing meetup by Matty
3. The Purchase by Linda Spalding, shared by Pooker3 at a BXing meeting in October 2019
2. To read or listen to 13 books from the 1001 Books to Read before you Die list. As of September 19 I have read 7 books and listened to 2.
1. The Purloined Letter by Edgar Allan Poe
2. Life and Death of Harriet Frean by May Sinclair
3. Fingersmith by Sarah Waters
4. Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin
5. Cannery Row by John Steinbeck
6. Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison
7. The Fan Man by William Kotzwinkle
8. The Return of the Soldier by Rebecca West
9. The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark
3. To read 4 books loaned to me in 2018 and 2019. As of August 13 I have read 3 books.
1. Black Berry, Sweet Juice by Lawrence Hill loaned to me by a former book club friend because we both love Hill's fiction
2. Home Fire by Kamila Shamsie, loaned to me by my sister-in-law
3. The Chaperone by Laura Moriarty, lent to me by my sister
4. To read the 8 oldest books on my TBR list. As of July 28 I have read 5 books.
1. Fingersmith by Sarah Waters purchased by me on May 3 2010.
2. The Princes of Ireland by Edward Rutherfurd, which my sister passed on to me in February 2010.
3. Race Against Time by Stephen Lewis, which I bought at a conference where Lewis was the keynote speaker in 2010.
4. The K Handshape by Maureen Jennings which I purchased at a library book sale in 2010
5. Water Lily by Susanna Jones which I purchased at Aqua Books in 2010
5. To read the 11 books I received as gifts before December 31 2018. As of May 2 I have read 5.
1. The Quarter by Naguib Mahfouz, a LibraryThing Early Reader book
2. Blacklight Blue by Peter May, a gift from my husband
3. The Long Call by Ann Cleeves, another gift from my husband.
4. Coral Reef Views by Vicky Delaney, sent by the publisher for a LibraryThing Early Reader win.
5. Spindle and Dagger by J. Anderson Coats, also obtained through LibraryThing's Early Reader program.
6. To read the 4 books on Mount TBR that appear on the CBC list of 100 Novels to make us Proud to be Canadian. As of June 21 I have read 3 books:
1. Barney's Version by Mordecai Richler
2. How to Make Love to a Negro by Dany Laferriere
3. Cereus Blooms at Night by Shani Mootoo