Recent Book Activity
Birds Art Life: A Year of Observation
In Defense of Food
The Spy Who Came in from the Cold
A Better Man
The Long Call
Three Men in a Boat - (to Say Nothing of the Dog)
Past Reason Hated (An Inspector Banks Mystery)
Rather Be the Devil
Pirate Queen: The Legend of Grace O'Malley
The Taste of Rain
Blizzard's Garden Woodwork
Wide Sargasso Sea
|4 weeks||all time|
|released in the wild||4||1,853|
|controlled releases caught||0||91|
|new member referrals||0||22|
The 2018 Canada Days release challenge had 11 Canadian and 8 non-Canadian participants and a total of 359 books released.
A new record was set for the Sesquicentennial Canada Days release challenge in 2017. A total of 1111 books were released during the 15 days of the challenge.
The 2016 Canada Days release challenge started on June 24 and finished on July 4. A total of 617 books were released. The 2015 Canada Days release challenge started on June 24 and finished on July 5. A total of 582 books were released.
The 2014 Canada Days release challenge started on June 21 and finished on July 1. A total of 572 books were released.
The 2013 Canada Days release challenge is over with 568 books released.
The 2012 Canada Days release challenge is over and we had a great year with 911 books released.
The 2011 Canada Day release challenge is over and 840 books were released.
The 2010 Canada Day release challenge is now over. Over 400 books have been released which is much less than previous years. But we all had fun which is the important thing.
The 2009 Canada Day release challenge was wonderful and 796 books were released.
The 2008 Canada Day release resulted in 687 books by Canadians or about Canada wild released in Canada and around the world.
The 2007 Canada Day release challenge was a huge success with 773 books wild released.
My 2006 Canada Day release challenge was a great success with 648 books wild released in Canada and around the world.
If you would like to suggest a trade I will gladly consider it but I may not agree especially if the book is hardcover.
I stumbled across this concept when I was searching for information on a book my book club read in April 2005 (The Secret Life of Bees). I read a lot and since joining BookCrossing I believe I am reading more. I had a lot of books in my personal library when I started but I have released most of them and have acquired more from library book sales, Goodwill, gifts and so on.
The picture is of my dog, Gypsy, who was put to sleep on June 28 2014. A Border Collie whom we adopted from the Humane Society in the spring of 1997, she was a sweet and loyal dog. We are currently without a pet in the house as our 15 year old Lab cross, Davis, was put to sleep on July 27 2018.
October 5, 2019
Because I'm a bit of a stats freak I'm keeping track of my "wild" catches as opposed to the total catches which result from controlled releases as well as wild releases. I have now released 1698 books into the wild and 309 have been caught (a 18.2% catch rate). Of those 309 18 were caught by BXers who went looking for them, 4 were caught by a BXer who just stumbled on it, 19 were caught by a BXer from the OBCZ shelf, 114 were caught by new members, 3 were caught by old members who had been inactive and the rest were caught anonymously. Thirty-six wild releases that were re-released have been caught and journalled again and this one, this one, this one and this one have been caught three times.
1. To read all the books other BookCrossers have given me to the end of 2018, a total of 12 books. As of October 7 I have read 6 books.
1. A Rich Full Death by Michael Dibdin, brought to the local meetup by lonestranger
2. Missing Justice by Alafair Burke, offered in the Mystery VBB by Tribefan
3. The Angel of Darkness by Caleb Carr, also from the Mystery VBB from imuzak12
4. Queen of All the Dust Balls by Bill Richardson, brought to the local meetup by judysh
5. Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks brought to a Winnipeg meetup by Pooker3.
6. Birds Art Life by Kyo Maclear, another donation from Pooker3.
2. To read or listen to 12 books from the 1001 Books to Read before you Die list. As of August 19 I have listened to 1 book and read 7 books.
1. The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkein
2. The Diviners by Margaret Laurence
3. The Colour by Rose Tremain
4. Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys
5. Eva Trout by Elizabeth Bowen
6. Justine by Lawrence Durrell
7. In the First Circle by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
8. Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks
3. To read 4 books loaned to me in 2018. As of September 2 I have read 2 books.
1. The Butcher of Smithfield by Susanna Gregory, a loan from my sister.
2. The Bone Tree by Greg, Iles, a loan from my brother-in-law.
4. To read the 13 oldest books on my TBR list. As of August 23 I have read 3 books.
1. Beneath the Bleeding by Val McDermid was registered by me on March 24, 2009
2. Sacred Games by Vikram Chandra
3. A Darker Domain by Val McDermid
5. To read the 13 books I received as gifts before December 31 2018. As of July 10 I have read 5 books.
1. Kingdom of the Blind by Louise Penny, given to me by my wonderful husband.
2. The Music Shop by Rachel Joyce sent to me by Random House
3. The Travelling Cat Chronicles by Hiro Arikawa, a Christmas present from my sister and brother-in-law
4. The Devil's Dice by Roz Watkins, a gift from my husband
5. The Evening Chorus by Helen Humphreys, a gift from my sister-in-law and brother
6. To read the 5 books on Mount TBR that appear on the CBC list of 100 Novels to make us Proud to be Canadian. As of June 30 I have read 1 book.
1. Spin by Robert Charles Wilson