Recent Book Activity
The Bone Cage
The Hockey Sweater and Other Stories
Under the Ribs of Death
Rather Be the Devil
Let it Bleed
The Critic (The Enzo Files)
Pegasus in Space
Voices (Detective Erlendur)
Wide Sargasso Sea
The Old Man and the Sea (A Scribner Classic)
The Cunning Man
The Wolf and the Buffalo
|4 weeks||all time|
|released in the wild||0||1,793|
|controlled releases caught||0||85|
|new member referrals||0||21|
The 2017 Canada Days release challenge is over and a new record has been set. A total of 1111 books were released during the 15 days of the challenge.
The 2016 Canada Days release challenge started on June 24 and finished on July 4. A total of 617 books were released. The 2015 Canada Days release challenge started on June 24 and finished on July 5. A total of 582 books were released.
The 2014 Canada Days release challenge started on June 21 and finished on July 1. A total of 572 books were released.
The 2013 Canada Days release challenge is over with 568 books released.
The 2012 Canada Days release challenge is over and we had a great year with 911 books released.
The 2011 Canada Day release challenge is over and 840 books were released.
The 2010 Canada Day release challenge is now over. Over 400 books have been released which is much less than previous years. But we all had fun which is the important thing.
The 2009 Canada Day release challenge was wonderful and 796 books were released.
The 2008 Canada Day release resulted in 687 books by Canadians or about Canada wild released in Canada and around the world.
The 2007 Canada Day release challenge was a huge success with 773 books wild released.
My 2006 Canada Day release challenge was a great success with 648 books wild released in Canada and around the world.
If you would like to suggest a trade I will gladly consider it but I may not agree especially if the book is hardcover.
I stumbled across this concept when I was searching for information on a book my book club read in April 2005 (The Secret Life of Bees). I read a lot and since joining BookCrossing I believe I am reading more. I had a lot of books in my personal library when I started but I have released most of them and have acquired more from library book sales, Goodwill, gifts and so on.
The picture is of my dog, Gypsy, who was put to sleep on June 28 2014. A Border Collie whom we adopted from the Humane Society in the spring of 1997, she was a sweet and loyal dog. We are currently without a pet in the house as our 15 year old Lab cross, Davis, was put to sleep on July 27 2018.
September 30, 2018
Because I'm a bit of a stats freak I'm keeping track of my "wild" catches as opposed to the total catches which result from controlled releases as well as wild releases. I have now released 1645 books into the wild and 302 have been caught (a 18.3% catch rate). Of those 302 16 were caught by BXers who went looking for them, 4 were caught by a BXer who just stumbled on it, 19 were caught by a BXer from the OBCZ shelf, 111 were caught by new members, 3 were caught by old members who had been inactive and the rest were caught anonymously. Thirty-six wild releases that were re-released have been caught and journalled again and this one, this one, this one and this one have been caught three times.
1. To read all the books other BookCrossers have given me to the of 2017, a total of 8 books. As of November 8 I have read 7 books.
1. Miles, Mayhem and Mystery by Lois McMaster Bujold, passed on by JudySlump612.
2. Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout, brought from Germany by NorthernLights.
3. Get Shorty by Elmore Leonard sent by booklady331 from the Mystery VBB
4. Poldark's Cornwall by Winston Graham, which came from Pooker3
5. Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe, brought to Winnipeg by NorthernLights
6. The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway shared by Pooker3
7. Snow Country by Yasunari Kawabata, another gift from NorthernLights
2. To read or listen to 12 books from the 1001 Books to Read before you Die list. As of November 2 I have listened to two books and read 10 books so I have met my goal but I will be reading more this year.
1. Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
2. Oroonoko by Aphra Benn
3. The Tin Flute by Gabrielle Roy
4. Get Shorty by Elmore Leonard
5. Surfacing by Margaret Atwood
6. Under the Net by Iris Murdoch
7. The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo
8. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
9. Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe
10. The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway
11. H(A)PPY by Nicola Barker
12. Amongst Women by John McGahern
3. To read all the books by Ian Rankin that I have on my TBR pile, a total of 8 books. As of November 16 I have read six books.
1. Hide & Seek (Rebus #2)
2. Bleeding Hearts
3. The Black Book
4. Blood Hunt
5. Mortal Causes
6. Let it Bleed
4. To read all the books by Giles Blunt that I have on my TBR pile, a total of 4 books. As ofJune 25 I have read 2 books.
1. Blackfly Season
2. By the Time You Read This
5. To read all the Arnaldur Indridason books that I have on my TBR pile, a total of 4 books. As of October 25 I have read 2 books.
1. Jar City
6. To read all the books of which Anne McCaffrey is an author that are in my TBR pile, a total of 5 books. As of November 1 I have read 3 books.
1. To Ride Pegasus
2. Pegasus in Flight
3. Pegasus in Space
7.To read all the Robertson Davies books that I have on my TBR pile, a total of 4 books. As of October 5 I have finished all 4.
1. High Spirits
2. World of Wonders
3. The Merry Heart
4. The Cunning Man