Recent Book Activity
The Sisters Brothers
Mrs Harris Goes to Paris & Mrs Harris Goes to New York
Best Served Cold
Border Collies (Complete Pet Owner's Manual)
A Christmas Carol
The Bird King
George And Rue
Love Lives Here
The Last Kind Words Saloon: A Novel
Rural Voices YA Anthology
The Girl from the Channel Islands
A Complicated Kindness
Divided by Race, Language, and Education
The Unpleasantness at the Battle of Thornford
A Map of Glass
|4 weeks||all time|
|released in the wild||4||1,939|
|controlled releases caught||0||98|
|new member referrals||0||22|
The 2019 Canada Days release challenge is over. See the release and catch numbers on this chart.
The 2018 Canada Days release challenge had 11 Canadian and 8 non-Canadian participants and a total of 359 books released.
A new record was set for the Sesquicentennial Canada Days release challenge in 2017. A total of 1111 books were released during the 15 days of the challenge.
The 2016 Canada Days release challenge started on June 24 and finished on July 4. A total of 617 books were released. The 2015 Canada Days release challenge started on June 24 and finished on July 5. A total of 582 books were released.
The 2014 Canada Days release challenge started on June 21 and finished on July 1. A total of 572 books were released.
The 2013 Canada Days release challenge is over with 568 books released.
The 2012 Canada Days release challenge is over and we had a great year with 911 books released.
The 2011 Canada Day release challenge is over and 840 books were released.
The 2010 Canada Day release challenge is now over. Over 400 books have been released which is much less than previous years. But we all had fun which is the important thing.
The 2009 Canada Day release challenge was wonderful and 796 books were released.
The 2008 Canada Day release resulted in 687 books by Canadians or about Canada wild released in Canada and around the world.
The 2007 Canada Day release challenge was a huge success with 773 books wild released.
My 2006 Canada Day release challenge was a great success with 648 books wild released in Canada and around the world.
If you would like to suggest a trade I will gladly consider it but I may not agree especially if the book is hardcover.
I stumbled across this concept when I was searching for information on a book my book club read in April 2005 (The Secret Life of Bees). I read a lot and since joining BookCrossing I believe I am reading more. I had a lot of books in my personal library when I started but I have released most of them and have acquired more from library book sales, Goodwill, gifts and so on.
The picture is of my dog, Gypsy, who was put to sleep on June 28 2014. A Border Collie whom we adopted from the Humane Society in the spring of 1997, she was a sweet and loyal dog. After living without a pet in the house since the summer of 2018 we adopted an 8 week old Border Collie pup at the end of June 2019. Kootenay is now keeping us busy but giving us lots of licks and love.
May 9, 2021
Because I'm a bit of a stats freak I'm keeping track of my "wild" catches as opposed to the total catches which result from controlled releases as well as wild releases. I have now released 1778 books into the wild and 313 have been caught (a 17.6% catch rate). Of those 313 18 were caught by BXers who went looking for them, 4 were caught by a BXer who just stumbled on it, 19 were caught by a BXer from the OBCZ shelf, 114 were caught by new members, 3 were caught by old members who had been inactive and the rest were caught anonymously. Thirty-six wild releases that were re-released have been caught and journalled again and this one, this one, this one and this one have been caught three times.
1. To read all the books other BookCrossers have given me to the end of 2020, a total of 6 books. As of April 21 I have read two books
1. The Indian Clerk by David Leavitt, which judysh offered up at a Winnipeg meetup in February 2020
2. Love Lives Here by Amanda Knox, brought to an outdoors meetup in June 2020
2. To read or listen to 12 books from the 1001 Books to Read before you Die list. As of May 1 I have listened to two books and read four books.
1. Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis
2. Martin Chuzzlewit by Charles Dickens
3. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
4. The Book of Evidence by John Banville
5. Watchmen by Alan Moore
6. Mrs. 'Arris Goes to Paris by Paul Gallico
3. To read 2 books loaned to me, one in 2018 and one in 2020.
4. To read the 9 oldest books on my TBR list. As of March 1 I have read one book
1. Map of Glass by Jane Urquhart
5. To read the 11 books I received as gifts before December 31 2020. As of March 13 I have read 2.
1. All the Devils are Here by Louise Penny given to me by my wonderful husband on our 26th wedding anniversary.
2. On Fire by Naomi Klein
6. To read the 2 books on Mount TBR that appear on the CBC list of 100 Novels to make us Proud to be Canadian plus 2 more. As of April 24 I have read 1 book.
1. George & Rue by George Elliot Clarke