Recent Book Activity
The Woman Who Died a Lot (Thursday Next #7)
Wees onzichtbaar DL
The Best of Saki
If Beale Street Could Talk
The Kite Runner
The Floating World
Poems of Henry Lawson
Dagen en nachten in Sarajevo - Dagboeknotities en brieven 1992-1995
Ik mis alleen de HEMA
Een man uit Singapore
A Death in Summer
The Water-Method Man (Ballantine Reader's Circle)
Tales of a Korean Grandmother
|4 weeks||all time|
|released in the wild||0||1,148|
|controlled releases caught||0||145|
|new member referrals||0||7|
In short, I'm a sociable, bookwormy Dutch-English translator with too many ideas and not enough time, married, 3 children, 3 cats & many spiders. Many books, much dust and a wildlife-friendly garden. Englishwoman who loves living in the Netherlands and networking with expats and Dutch friends. I review my books on Goodreads and share them through BookCrossing.
Best book journeys on my shelf::
Probably the best ever was a book I picked up from a shelf in Nijmegen (NL), Hello Bunny Alice by Laura Wilson. I read it (not that keen) then put back there. It then reappeared sometime later when it was found by an active Canadian BookCrosser in a secondhand bookshop in Nepal, of all places! She sent it to a Dutch BookCrosser living in Canada who released it on a bus on the way to a radio interview about BookCrossing. Unfortunately nobody journalled it after this, but maybe one day it will resurface.
Skin Tight by Carl Hiassen came to me from a Dutch BC friend and I released it a BC meeting in nearby Oss. It then reappeared several months later in a trekking hut in Austria where it was the only book in English. The person who journalled it planned to release it in Lisbon (Portugal).
Challenges for 2018:
1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die Challenge
666 for 2018 (6 Books, 6 Countries, 6 Continents)
Reduce Mount TBR Challenge
Ultimate Read and Release Challenge
BOOKS READ IN 2018:
AUGUST 2018 - Ultimate Challenge Theme - Clothing, Fashion
34. A Fine Balance - Rohinton Mistry. 603pp. (India, Partition, history). TBR since 2012.
33. What [HAT] Came Before He Shot Her - Elizabeth George. 736pp. (UK, psychological). TBR since 2009.
JULY 2018 - Ultimate Challenge Theme - Verbs
32. Wild: From LOST to FOUND on the Pacific Crest Trail - Cheryl STRAYED. 315pp. (USA, hiking). TBR since April 2018. RABCK from Naamakarhut (Finland).
31. If Beale Street Could TALK - James Baldwin. 143pp. (USA, racism). TBR since 2010. Released in Switzerland.
30. The Kite RUNNER - Khaled Hosseini. 324pp. (Afghanistan, Pakistan). TBR since 2005. Released in Switzerland.
29. The FLOATING World - Cynthia Kadohata. 208pp. (USA, Japan, immigration). TBR since May 2008. Released in Switzerland.
JUNE 2018 - Ultimate Challenge Theme - Sounds, hearing
28. The Cellist of Sarajevo - Steven Galloway. ?pp. (Bosnia & Herzogovina). TBR since Dec. 2017.
27. De lach van Birgui [The laugh in Birgui] - Hans Taal. 200pp? (Mali). TBR since 2010).
26. Homegoing - Yaa Gyasi. 305pp. (Ghana, USA, slavery, families). TBR since
MAY 2018 - Ultimate Challenge Theme - Gardening, plants
25. Veronika Decides to Die - Paulo Coelho. 210pp. (Brazil, Slovenia (setting), mental health, 1001). TBR since June 2014.
24. The Rose Labyrinth - Titania Hardie. 592pp. (France, myth). TBR since June 2010 (different copy).
23. Lincoln in the Bardo - George Saunders. 343pp. (USA, historical/fantasy). TBR since 2017.
APRIL 2018 - Ultimate Challenge Theme - Numbers, maths, scientists, computers
22. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? - Philip K. Dick. 214pp. (USA, sci fi, 1001). TBR since Jan. 2013.
21. A Tale for the Time Being - Ruth Ozeki. 422pp. (Japan, Canada). TBR since 2017.
20. Het leven uit een dag [A Life of One Day] - A.F.Th. van der Heijden. 191pp. (Netherlands, sci fi). TBR since March 2012.
19. Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury. 227pp. (USA, dystopia, sci fi, 1001). TBR since Dec. 2017.
18. The Circle - Dave Eggars. 493pp. (USA, social media). TBR since Oct. 2017.
17. Slaughterhouse-Five - Kurt Vonnegut. 275pp. (Germany, USA, 1001). TBR since July 2016.
16. Het bestand [The File] - Arnon Grunberg. 200pp. (Sci fi). TBR since Nov. 2017.
MARCH 2018 - Ultimate Challenge Theme - Colours
15. Dagboek van een geisha [Memoirs of a Geisha] - Arthur Golden. 463pp. (Japan, 1001). TBR since May 2010.
14. Black Swan Green - David Mitchell. 371pp. (England, coming of age). TBR since Oct. 2011.
13. Een Afrikaan op Groenland [An African in Greenland] - Tété-Michel Kpomassie. 300pp. (Togo, Greenland). TBR since July 2014.
12. The Power and the Glory - Graham Greene. 216pp. (Mexico). TBR since April 2008.
11. La Belle Sauvage - Philip Pullman. 560pp. (England, fantasy). TBR since 2017.
10. Northern Lights (His Dark Materials) - Philip Pullman. 397pp. (England, fantasy). TBR since 2010.
9. The Sheltering Sky - Paul Bowles. 368pp. (Algeria). TBR since Nov. 2017.
8. The Woman Who Died a Lot - Jasper Fforde. 380pp. (Humour, fantasy). TBR since 2017.
7. Christine Falls - Benjamin Black. 390pp. (Ireland, crime). TBR since Aug. 2010.
FEBRUARY 2018 - Ultimate Challenge Theme - By air or by sea
6. Wide Sargasso Sea - Jean Rhys. 190pp. (Dominica, 1001). TBR since Aug. 2014.
5. The Book of Dave - Will Self. 477pp. (England, dystopian). TBR since Dec. 2017.
4. The Buried Giant - Kazuo Ishiguro. 384pp. (England/Japan, myth, memory). TBR since Dec. 2017.
JANUARY 2018 - Ultimate Challenge Theme - Home, Architecture, Moving
3. Blindness - José Saramago. 309pp. (Portugal, post-modern, dystopian, 1001). TBR since March 2016. 8*
2. The Murder Room - P.D. James. 371pp. (England, crime). TBR since 2010. 8*
1. The Rosie Project - Graeme Simsion. 327pp. (Australia, autism). TBR since Dec. 2017.
Challenges for 2017:
1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die Challenge
666 for 2017 (6 Books, 6 Countries, 6 Continents)
Reduce Mount TBR Challenge
Belle's Library Victorian Reading Challenge - www.belleslibrary.com
BOOKS READ IN 2017:
XX Max Havelaar of de koffieveilingen der Nederlandsche Handel-Maatschappij - Multatuli. 272pp. (Indonesia, colonialism, 1820, 1001)
XX In het spoor van de panamahoed - Tom Miller. 288pp? (Ecuador, travel). Reading since May 2015. Only a few pages left.
XX Americanah - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. 477pp. (Nigeria, USA, race, immigration). Reading since Feb. 2016 (book club).
XX The Orenda - Joseph Boyden. 448pp. (Canada, first nations). Reading since May 2016 (book club).
XX Now We Are Past It - Allison Vale. 160pp. (Aging, humour). TBR since July 2016.
XX Citizen: An American Lyric - Claudia Rankine. 169pp. (USA, poetry, race). Reading since Dec. 2016 (book club).
DECEMBER 2017 - Ultimate Challenge Theme – First names
XX Started: Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell - Susanna Clarke. 1006pp. (UK, fantasy).
NOVEMBER 2017 - Ultimate Challenge Theme – Double letters
18. The Underground Railroad - Colson Whitehead. 306pp. (USA, slavery). TBR since 2017 (book club). To review / write JE.
OCTOBER 2017 - Ultimate Challenge Theme - Time
XX What Language Do I Dream In? - Elena Lappin. 288pp. (Czech, Russia, UK, Israel, bilingualism). Reading since Oct. 2017 (book club).
SEPTEMBER 2017 - Ultimate Challenge Theme - Mail
XX Started: De Postbode van Neruda (The Postman) - Antonio Skármeta. 125pp. (Chile). TBR since May 2015.
17. My Name is Lucy Barton - Elizabeth Strout. 193pp. (USA, mother-daughter). TBR since July 2017 (book club).
AUGUST 2017 - Ultimate Challenge Theme – Books & BookCrossing
XX Started: Notes from an Even Smaller Island - Neil Humphreys. ?pp. (Singapore, humour, expat). TBR since Aug. 2017.
JULY 2017 - Ultimate Challenge Theme - Senses
JUNE 2017 - Ultimate Challenge Theme - Family
XX Restarted: Midnight’s Children - Salman Rushdie. 463pp. (India, 1001). TBR since ?
16. Life After Life - Kate Atkinson. 632pp. (UK, reincarnation). Library book. TBR since 2015.
MAY 2017 - Ultimate Challenge Theme – Royalty & aristocracy
15. Two Serious Ladies - Jane Auer Bowles. 234pp. (USA, Panama). TBR since July 2014. To review / write JE.
14. All the Light We Cannot See - Anthony Doerr. 531pp. (France, WWI). TBR since 2017 (book club). To review / write JE.
APRIL 2017 - Ultimate Challenge Theme - Directions
XX Started: Heimwee naar de jungle [lit. Homesick towards the jungle] = The Lost Steps - Alejo Carpentier. 318pp. (Cuban author, set in the Amazon, 1001). TBR since May 2015. Halfway through.
13. Het huis achter de heuvel [lit. The house behind the hill] = Portraits in an Album - Jenny Glanfield. 552pp. (England). TBR since Sept. 2011. To review / write JE.
12. De hemel leek nabij (A Sky, So Close) - Betool Khedairi. 283pp. (Iraq, England, breast cancer). TBR since April 2015. To review / write JE.
11. H is for Hawk - Helen Macdonald. 300pp. (England, memoir, nature, grief). Library book. TBR since 2017 (book club).
MARCH 2017 - Ultimate Challenge Theme – Earth, wind, fire, water
10. De stenen getuigen (The Stones Cry Out) - Hikaru Okuizumi. 142pp. (Japan, WWII, guilt). TBR since March 2010.
9. By Night the Mountain Burns - Juan Tomás Ávila Laurel. 288pp. (Equatorial Guinea/Annobón). TBR since 2017 (book club). To review / write JE.
8. Death in the Andes - Mario Vargas Llosa . 322pp. (Peru, myth, crime). TBR since 2017 (book club).
7. The Heat of the Day - Elizabeth Bowen. 372pp. (England, WWII, 1001). TBR since March 2014. To review / write JE.
6. Oorlog en terpentijn [War and Turpentine] - Stefan Hermans. 336pp. (Belgium, WWI, biography). TBR since December 2016. To review / write JE.
FEBRUARY 2017 - Ultimate Challenge Theme – Food & Drink
XX Started: A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens. 489pp. (France, England, 1001). TBR since 1990.
5. Charlotte Gray - Sebastian Faulks. 497pp. (England, France, WWII, resistance). TBR since Nov. 2012. To review / write JE.
4. Ik was twaalf en ik fietste naar school [I was twelve and I was cycling to school] - Sabine Dardenne. 220pp. (Belgium, true crime, autobiography). TBR since 2012?
JANUARY 2017 - Ultimate Challenge Theme - New, Cleaning, New Year
3. Nieuwe buren [New Neighbours] - Saskia Noort. 278pp. (Netherlands, crime). TBR since Sept. 2011.
2. The Hotel New Hampshire - John Irving. 428pp. (USA, humour). TBR since ? To review / write JE.
1. Atomised (Elementary Particles) - Michel Houllebecq. 379pp. (France, USA, 1970s?, 1001). TBR since July 2014. To review / write JE.
BOOKS READ IN 2016:
DECEMBER 2016 - Ultimate Challenge Theme - Architecture
29. The House of Mirth - Edith Wharton. 289pp. (USA, 1920s, 1001). TBR since July 2016.
NOVEMBER 2016 - Ultimate Challenge Theme - Music
28. Rock & Roll bij Frieda Vindevogel - J.M.H. Berckmans. 92pp. (Belgium, short stories, schizophrenia). TBR since July 2015.
27. Jazz - Toni Morrison. 235pp. (USA, 1920s, 1001). TBR since July 2015.
26. Praagse Dixieland - Jan Stavinoha. 153pp.(Czech Rep., short stories). TBR since March 2014.
OCTOBER 2016 - Ultimate Challenge Theme - School, writing, etc.
25. Kitchens of the Great Midwest - J. Ryan Nadal. (USA, food). TBR since 2016 (book club). 15/06
24. Opruimen! - Marie Kondo. ???pp. Library book. TBR since 2016.
SEPTEMBER 2016 - Ultimate Challenge Theme - Animals
23. To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee. ???pp. (USA, childhood, racism, courtroom, 1001). TBR since 2008.
22. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings - Maya Angelou. 246pp. (USA, childhood, racism, autobiography, 1001). TBR since 2015.
21. Cat's Eye - Margaret Atwood. 443pp. (Canada, bullying, friendship, 1001). TBR since 2011.
20. Pets: de beste dierenverhalen in en om het huis - Midas Dekkers [ Pets: the best animal stories]. 256pp. (NL, pets and other animals). TBR since 2015.
AUGUST 2016 - Ultimate Challenge Theme - Occupations
19. Midwives - Chris Bohjalian. 312pp. (USA, mother/daughter, courtroom).TBR since 2015.
18. De dag dat de keizer hoffelijk mijn tranen droogt - Kenzaburo Oë. 147pp. (Japan, WWII, historical). TBR since 2016.
17. Getting Rid of Matthew - Jane Fallon. 410pp. (UK, humour, relationships). TBR since 2014.
16. The Bad Mother's Handbook - Kate Long. 350pp. (UK, humour, families). TBR since 2015.
15. Neuromancer - William Gibson. 320pp. (Japan, USA, sci fi, thriller, 1001). TBR since 2014.
14. The Last Precinct - Patricia Cornwell. 565pp. (USA, crime, thriller). TBR since 2014.
JUNE/JULY 2016 - Ultimate Challenge Theme - Numbers/Crime
13. One for the Money - Janet Evanovich. 287pp. (USA, humour, crime). TBR since 2014.
12. 11.22.63. - Stephen King. 740pp. (USA, time travel, alternate history). TBR since 2015.
11. Afkes tiental - Nienke van Hichtum. 152pp. (Netherlands, children's, historical). TBR since 2012.
MAY 2016 - Ultimate Challenge Theme - ?
10. The Miniaturist - Jessie Burton. 400pp. (Netherlands, historical). TBR since 2015.
APRIL 2016 - Ultimate Challenge Theme - Gardens
9. Knielen op een bed violen - Jan Siebelink. (Netherlands, religion, gardening). TBR since 2015.
8. Het Nieuwe Land - Eva Vriend. 304pp. (Netherlands, society, agriculture). TBR since 2014.
MARCH 2016 - Ultimate Challenge Theme - Travel
7. Leaving Tangier - Tahar Ben Jelloun. 372pp. (Morocco, Spain, immigration). TBR since 2010.
6. Een huis in Toscane - Frances Mayes. 304pp. (Italy, travel, food). TBR since 2012.
5. Heimwee naar Siberië - Per Petterson. 256pp. (Denmark). TBR since 2010.
FEBRUARY 2016 - Ultimate Challenge Theme - Food
4. Catering to Nobody - Diane Mott Davidson. 301pp. (USA, humour, crime). TBR since 2014.
3. Skin Tight - Carl Hiaasen. 470pp. (USA, humour, crime). TBR since 2014.
JANUARY 2016 - Ultimate Challenge Theme - Colours
2. The Crimson Petal and the White - Michel Faber. 835pp. (UK, Victorian). TBR since 2015.
1. Smell of Apples - Mark Behr. 200pp. (South Africa, apartheid, racism, child abuse). TBR since 2013.
BOOKS READ IN 2015:
NOVEMBER/DECEMBER 2015 (Ultimate Challenge Themes - Agriculture)
39. Parable of the Sower - Octavia Butler. ??pp. (USA, 1001). TBR since ?
38. The Moonstone - Wilkie Collins. 525pp. (UK, crime, 1001). TBR since 2010.
37. Oradour: Massacre and Aftermath - Robin Mackness. 260pp. (France, WWII). TBR since 1990.
OCTOBER 2015 (Ultimate Challenge Theme - Food & Drink):
36. Het bittere kruid - Marga Minco. 90pp. (Netherlands, WWII, Jews). TBR since 2014.
35. Dinner at the Homesick Resaurant - Anne Tyler. 303pp. (USA, relationships). TBR since July 2014.
34. Blackberry Wine - Joanne Harris. 334pp. (UK, France, expat). TBR since 2012.
33. Apple Pie: an American Story - John T. Edge. 162pp. (Food, USA). TBR since July 2014.
SEPTEMBER 2015 (Ultimate Challenge Theme - Children & Play):
32. The Talented Mr. Ripley - Patricia Highsmith. pp. (France, Italy, 1001). TBR since March 2015 (wishlist RABCK from Chucklesthescot).
31. Remarkable Creatures - Tracy Chevalier. ?pp. (UK, Historical). TBR since April 2014 (wishlist RABCK from Phoenix-Flight).
30. The Beautiful Mrs. Seidenman - Andrzey Szczypiorski. 200pp. (Poland, WWII). TBR since Sept. 2012.
AUGUST 2015 (Ultimate Challenge Theme - Travel?):
29. Atonement - Ian McEwan. 372pp. (UK). TBR since 2010.
28. Terug op de plaats die ik nooit heb verlaten - Tobias Schiff. ?pp. (Poland, WWII, Auscq). TBR since 2010.
27. The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry - Rachel Joyce. ??pp. (UK).
26. The Piano Tuner - Daniel Mason. ??pp. (Ireland?). TBR since 2010.
JULY 2015 (Ultimate Challenge Theme - ?):
25. The Unbearable Lightness of Being - Milan Kundera. ??pp. (Czechoslovakia, 1001). TBR since July 2014.
24. It's Not Me, It's You = Jon Richardson. ?pp. (UK).
JUNE 2015 (Ultimate Challenge Theme - Water):
23. Vlek in het meer - Jan van der Vegt. 164pp. (Ireland). TBR since 2009. Gave up after 54 pages.
MAY 2015 (Ultimate Challenge Theme - Travel):
22. In het spoor van de panamahoed [The Panama Hat Trail] - Tom Miller. 262pp. (Ecuador, travel). TBR since 2012.
21. The Motorcycle Diaries - Ernesto 'Che' Guevara.165pp. (Argenina, Chile, Peru, Colombia, Venezuela, Brazil, Paraguay). TBR since 2013.
20. One of Our Thursdays is Missing (Thursday Next #6) - Jasper Fforde. 400pp. (Fantasy, Humour). TBR since 2014.
APRIL 2015 (Ultimate Challenge Theme - Communication):
19. Whispers in the Sand - Barbara Erskine. 399pp. (Egypt, mystery). TBR since 2009.
18. Inkheart - Cornelia Funke. 543pp. (Fantasy, books, teen). Reread.
17. First Among Sequels (Thursday Next #5) - Jasper Fforde. 400pp. (Fantasy, , books, humour). TBR since 2014.
16. Ask Again Later - Jill A. Davis. 246pp. (USA, humour?, breast cancer). TBR since 2010.
15. The Lake of Dead Languages - Carol Goodman. 436pp. (USA, thriller, gothic). TBR since Dec. 2011 (RABCK).
14. The Shipping News - Annie Proulx. 355pp. (USA, Newfoundland, 1001). TBR since 2010.
13. Something Rotten (Thursday Next #4) - Jasper Fforde. ??pp. (Fantasy, Humour). TBR since 2014 (spiral).
MARCH 2015 (Ultimate Challenge Theme - Size):
12. The Well of Lost Plots (Thursday Next #3) - Jasper Fforde. 364pp. (Fantasy, Humour). TBR since 2014 (spiral).
11. De ijsdragers - Anna Enquist. 92pp? (Sweden?). TBR since Jan 2009.
FEBRUARY 2015 (Ultimate Challenge Theme - Weather):
10. Waiting for Snow in Havana - Carlos Eire. 402pp. (Cuba, USA, immigrants, autobiography). TBR since June 2014.
9. The Right Attitude to Rain - Alexander McCall Smith. 251pp. (Scotland, Humour). TBR since 2010.
8. Brazzaville Beach - William Boyd. 398pp. (Africa, Congo, chimpanzees). TBR since Sept. 2011.
7. Sneeuwstorm en amandelgeur - C. Läckberg. 159pp. (Sweden, detective)
JANUARY 2015 (Ultimate Challenge Theme - Diaries):
6. The Thief of Time - Terry Pratchett 430pp. (Fantasy, DEATH as character)
5. De jongen in het Achterhuis [The Boy in the Annexe] - Sharon Dogar (library book). 320pp. (Netherlands, WWII, Jews in hiding)
4. Het Achterhuis, Dagboekbrieven 12 juni 1942 - 1 augustus 1944 (Anne Frank's Diary) - Anne Frank (own copy). ??pp. (Netherlands, WWII, Jews in hiding)
3. The Book Thief - Markus Zusak. 554pp. (Germany, WWII, Jews in hiding, anti-Nazi, Death as character). TBR since
2. The Best of Saki - Saki (H.H. Munro). ??pp. (short stories, 1920s, 1930s?). TBR since ?
1. The Coffee Trader - David Lis. 384pp. (Amsterdam, C17th). TBR since 2014.
BOOKS READ IN 2014:
XX. Midnight's Children - Salman Rushdie. 463pp. (India, 1001)
XX. Chuapi punchapi tutayace: verhalen over Indianen - various. 125pp. TBR since March 2010. (South America)
XX. De dinoman en het muziekmeisje - Ginette Wieken. 158pp. TBR since May 2013.
XX. Burger's Dochter - Nadine Gordimer. ??pp. TBR since ?
XX. Noem me bij jouw naam - Andre Acimen. ??pp. TBR since June 2013.
DECEMBER 2014 (Ultimate Challenge Theme - People & Professions):
61. Lost in a Good Book - Jasper Fforde. 372pp. (UK, Thursday Next, humour, fantasy). TBR since March 2014.
60. Fear of Flying - Erica Jong. 311pp. (1001, Germany, Austria, France, psychoanalysts, feminism, 1970s). TBR since 1986.
NOVEMBER 2014 (Ultimate Challenge Theme - Things That Fly):
59. Een vlucht regenwulpen - Maarten 't Hart. 163pp. (NL, relationships, coming-of-age). TBR since Nov. 2014.
58. Hoot - Carl Hiaasen. 304pp. (Teens, USA, humour, environment). TBR since 2012.
57. The Falcon's Malteser - Anthony Horowitz. 217pp. (Children, humour, detective). TBR since 2012.
OCTOBER 2014 (Ultimate Challenge Theme - Time & Space):
56. Het verhaal van een middag - Willem van Toorn. 157pp. (Italy, WWII, coming of age). TBR since Dec. 2010.
55. Heden ik - Renate Dorrestein. 207pp. (NL, illness, MS). TBR since 2012.
54. Het jaar van Julia - Sheila Norton. 220pp. (Humour, chicklit, turning 50)
53. My America - Aimee Bender. ?pp (e-book)
52. Right on Time - Pauline McLynn. ??pp. (Humour?, Ireland)
SEPTEMBER 2014 (Ultimate Challenge Theme - Clothing & Jewellery):
51. The Golden Notebook - Doris Lessing. 638pp. (Society, UK, 1950s/1960s)
50. Empire of the Ants - Bernard Werber. 340pp. (Thriller, ants)
AUGUST 2014 (Ultimate Challenge Theme - Royalty, Castles, etc.):
49. King Rat - James Clavell. 320pp. TBR since 2008. (Singapore, WWII, POW camp)
48. De bavianenkoning - Anton Quintana. 167pp. TBR since 2010. (Kenya)
47. The Realm of Shells - Sonia Overall. 326pp. TBR since July 2013. (UK, Margate)
46. The Spider King's Daughter - Chibundu Onuzo. 288pp. TBR since April 2013. (Nigeria)
45. The Bridge on the Drina - Ivo Andric. 314pp. TBR since Aug. 2013. (1001, History, Bosnia)
44. The Bear / The Grizzly King - James Oliver Curwood.. 192pp. (Canada, bears)
43. The Other Boleyn Girl - Philippa Gregory.. 529pp. TBR since 2010. (History, royalty, UK)
42. The Hare With Amber Eyes: A Hidden Inheritance - Edmund de Waal. 354pp. TBR since April 2012. (History, art, Vienna, Paris, Japan)
41. The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing - Melissa Bank. 274pp.
JULY 2014 (Ultimate Challenge Theme - Arts & Crafts):
40. The Fault in Our Stars - John Green. ??pp. Own book.
JUNE 2014 (Ultimate Challenge Theme - Emotions):
39. Good Bones - Margaret Atwood. 153pp. TBR since Feb. 2010. (Short stories, feminism, humour)
MAY 2014 (Ultimate Challenge Theme - Architecture):
38. The God of Small Things - Arundhati Roy. 340pp. TBR since July 2012. (1001, India)
37. The Temple of My Familiar - Alice Walker. 417pp. TBR since 2012. (1001, Folk memory, African American / Indigenous experience, families)
36. The Road - Cormac McCarthy. 306pp. TBR since March 2014 (Apocolypse survivors, relationships)
35. A Small Person Far Away - Judith Kerr. 232pp. TBR since Jan. 2011 (Autobiography, family relationships, Berlin).
34. The Pillars of Hercules: A Grand Tour of the Mediterranean - Paul Theroux. 523pp. TBR since 2011. (Travel, Southern Europe, Northern Africa)
33. Open House - Elizabeth Berg. 241pp. TBR since April 2013. (USA, romance, midlife crisis)
APRIL 2014 (Ultimate Challenge Theme - Ready, Set, Action! ):
32. Killing Me Softly - Nicci French. 359pp. TBR since 2010. (UK, thriller, relationships)
31. Keeping It Real (Quantum Gravity #1) - Justina Robson. 333pp. TBR since July 2013. (Fantasy)
30. Timoleon Vieta Come Home: A Sentimental Journey - Dan Rhodes. 305pp. TBR since Sept. 2012. (Italy)
29. Nights at the Circus - Angela Carter. 295pp. TBR since March 2014. (Fantasy, UK, Russia)
28. Hide & Seek - Clare Sambrook. 282pp. TBR since Oct. 2011. (UK, family drama, child disappearance)
27. Letterhonger - Susan Smit. 256pp. TBR since April 2014. (NL, writing, columns)
26. Post-Mortem - Patricia Cornwell. 327pp. TBR since July 2012. (USA, crime)
25. Living With Max - Sandy Lewis. 255pp. TBR since 2012. (UK, Down's Syndrome, autobiography)
24. The Memory Keeper's Daughter - Kim Edwards. 401pp. TBR since June 2010. (USA, Down's Syndrome)
23. The Kalahari Typing School for Men - Alexander McCall Smith. 210pp. TBR since Oct. 2011. (Botswana)
22. Brixton Beach - Roma Tearne. 408pp. TBR since 2011. (Sri Lanka, UK, immigration)
MARCH 2014 (Ultimate Challenge Theme - Places):
21. Weg van Nederland - Nilgun Yerli 62pp. TBR since 2008. (NL, Turkey, immigration, repatriation)
20. Stanley - Koos van Zomeren. 62pp. TBR since 2009. (NL, dogs)
19. The Sea, The Sea - Iris Murdoch. 152pp. TBR since June 2011. (UK, 1001)
18. Ethan Frome - Edith Wharton. 150pp. TBR since May 2012. (USA, New England, 1001)
17. The Bookseller of Kabul - Asne Seierstad. 276pp. TBR since April 2012.
16. In alle staten: het Amerika van Max Westerman - Max Westerman. 270pp. TBR since 2013.
15. De gezongen aarde (The Songlines) - Bruce Chatwin. 308pp. TBR since June 2010. (Australia)
14. Sporen in de woestijn: met kamelen door Australie - Robyn Davidson. 312pp. TBR since June 2009. (Australia)
13. A Town Like Alice - Nevil Shute. ??pp. TBR since 2010. (1001, UK, Malaya, Australia)
12. 'Tis: A Memoir - Frank McCourt. 385pp. TBR since April 2010. (USA, New York)
FEBRUARY 2014 (Ultimate Challenge Theme - Olympics):
11. The Adventures of Augie March - Saul Bellow. 617pp. TBR since January 2010. (USA, Mexico, Chicago)
10. The Kid Who Climbed Everest - Bear Grylls. ??pp. TBR since Sept. 2011. (Himalayas, autobiography, travel)
9. Tranen van liefde: dagboek van een weduwnaar - Tim Overdiek. 309pp. TBR since 2012 (ring)? (NL, autobiography, grief)
8. The Life You Want - Emily Barr. 404pp. TBR since Oct. 2011. (UK, India, adoption)
7. Last Orders - Graham Swift. 295pp. TBR since July 2011. (UK, London/Margate, friendship, Booker Prize)
6. The Chosen - Chaim Potok. 288pp. TBR since June 2010. (USA, Brooklyn, Judaism, friendship)
JANUARY 2014 (Ultimate Challenge Theme - Family):
5. Hanna's Daughters - Marianne Fredriksson. 360pp. TBR since April 2013. (Sweden, families)
4. The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat - Oliver Sacks. ??pp. TBR since Feb. 2011. (Non-fiction, neurology)
3. Het weeskind - R. Feenstra. 64pp. TBR since June 2009.
2. All in the Best Possible Taste: Growing Up Watching Telly in the Eighties. ??pp. TBR since Jan. 2014. (Non-fiction, TV, UK)
1. Vijf foto's van mijn vrouw - Agnes Desarthe. 222pp. TBR since March 2013. (France)
BOOKS READ IN 2013 - Total pages read 16,690 (64.2% of my goal of 26,000):
DECEMBER 2013 (Ultimate Challenge Theme - Noise or Silence):
58. Tejo, de lotgevallen van een geemancipeerde man - Koos Meinderts, Harrie Jekkers. 100pp. TBR since Oct. 2008.
57. De laatste knal & andere feestverhalen - Godfried Bomans. 157pp. TBR since January 2009.
56. The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake - Aimee Bender. 324pp. TBR since August 2012.
NOVEMBER 2013 (Ultimate Challenge Theme - Modes & Means of Transport):
55. The Princess Bride - William Goldman. 398pp. TBR since April 2012.
54. At Swim Two Birds - Flann O'Brien. 247pp. TBR since April 2012.
53. Batman Can't Fly - David Hines. 85pp. TBR since April 2013.
OCTOBER 2013 (Ultimate Challenge Theme - Otherworldly):
52. Possession: A Romance - A.S. Byatt. 511pp. TBR since Dec. 2010.
51. Anderland - Paul Biegel. 95pp. TBR since August 2008.
50. The Time-Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger. 519pp. TBR since 2011.
49. Ergens - Gabrielle Zevin. 285pp. TBR since 2011.
48. The Last Unicorn - Peter S. Beagle. 294pp. TBR since May 2012.
47. Timequake - Kurt Vonnegut. 250pp. TBR since June 2011.
46. Elidor - Alan Garner. 160pp. TBR since Oct. 2013.
SEPTEMBER 2013 (Ultimate Challenge Theme - Animals):
45. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Ken Kesey. 283 pp. TBR since ?
44. Night Train to Lisbon - Pascal Mercier. 436pp. TBR since July 2011.
43. White Oleander - Janet Fitch. 446pp. TBR since April 2012.
AUGUST 2013 (Ultimate Challenge Theme - Summer Activities):
42. The Inheritance of Loss - Kiran Desai. 324pp. TBR since Oct. 2011
41. Een hotel op het dak van de wereld: vijf jaar in Tibet. 283pp. TBR since 2010
JULY 2013 (Ultimate Challenge Theme - Minerals):
40. The Eyre Affair - Jasper Fforde. 274pp. TBR since April 2012.
39. Tuinen van overvloed: permacultuur als inspiratie voor een duurzaam leven op aarde - Fransje de Waard. 240pp. Library book.
JUNE 2013 (Ultimate Challenge Theme - Family, Love):
38. De glazen zee: voorgeschiedenis ter verdediging - Evelien Paull. 168pp. TBR since Oct. 2009.
37. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values - Robert M. Pirsig. 540pp. TBR since May 2009.
MAY 2013 (Ultimate Challenge Theme - Colours):
36. De afvallers XXL - Yneke Vocking. 176pp. Library book.
35. Jouw personal health coach - Yneke Vocking. 187pp. Library book.
34. Hypocrite in a Pouffy White Dress - Susan Jane Gilman. 368pp. TBR since April 2012.
33. Stop What You're Doing and Read This! - Various. 190pp. TBR since 18th May 2013. ;-)
32. Mr. Pip - Lloyd Jones. 240pp. TBR since May 2011.
31. Goede gaven - Hannah Green / Joanne Greenberg. 180pp. TBR since Oct. 2009.
30. The Undutchables - Colin White, Laurie Boucke. 250pp. TBR since March 2009.
APRIL 2013 (Ultimate Challenge Theme - Land, Sea, Sky):
29. Carry Me Down - M.J. Hyland. 336pp. TBR since April 2012.
28. Avontuur in Mensenland (Mr. Moon's Last Case) - Brian Patten. 144pp. TBR since May 2009.
27. Stasiland - Anna Funder. 282pp. TBR since Dec. 2011.
26. Mevrouw mijn moeder - Yvonne Keuls. 264pp. TBR since April 2013.
25. The Pirates! In an Adventure With Scientists - Gideon Defoe. 144pp. TBR since May 2009.
24. Laat me niet alleen - Renate Dorrestein. 62pp.
MARCH 2013 (Ultimate Challenge Theme - Food & Drink):
23. Holy Fools - Joanne Harris. 384pp. TBR since Jan. 2011.
22. Marco Polo - Gwenneth Stokes. 82pp. (China, History, Travel). TBR since June 2009.
21. Making History - Stephen Fry. 572pp. (Alternative reality, humour). TBR since June 2011.
20. The Little Friend - Donna Tartt. 555pp. (USA, mystery). TBR since Oct. 2009.
19. Het leven is vurrukkulluk - Remco Campert. 170pp. (Netherlands, 1960s). TBR since Jan. 2012.
18. The Observations - Jane Harris. 521pp. (Scotland, gothic, mystery). TBR since Oct. 2009.
FEBRUARY 2013 (Ultimate Challenge Theme - Music, Musical Instruments):
17. No Full Stops in India - Mark Tully. 336pp. (India, politics, culture). TBR since Oct. 2010 (Two Worlds VBB).
16. Elvis, Jesus and Me - Emer McCourt. 212pp. (Belfast, growing up, teens). TBR since Oct. 2012.
15. Oostzee-journaal - Willem Ellenbroek, Henk Raaff. 324pp. (Travel, Scandinavia, Baltic). TBR since May 2008. [193 pages in 2013.]
14. 'Lena Lijstje' - Francien Oomen. 110pp. (Teens). Library book.
13. James Galway: An Autobiography - James Galway. 203pp. (Belfast, flute). TBR since April 2008.
12. Morality Play - Barry Unsworth. 188pp. (UK, Middle Ages, Theatre, Crime). TBR since May 2008.
11. An Equal Music - Vikram Seth. 484pp. (UK, Musicians, Relationships). TBR since 2012.
10. A Little Twist of Texas - Linda Raven Moore. 172pp. (USA, Motorcycles, Travel, BookCrossing, Markeroni). TBR since April 2012.
9. The Song of Names - Norman Lebrecht. 311pp. (UK, Violinist). TBR since Oct. 2011.
JANUARY 2013 (Ultimate Challenge Theme - Numbers, Maths & Money):
2824 pages read in January.
8. De nacht achterna; vlucht over Afrika [West With the Night] - Beryl Markham. 342pp. (Travel, Autobiography, Kenya, Aviation, 1920s / 1930s). TBR since 2008.
8. The Last Continent - Terry Pratchett. 412pp. (Discworld, fantasy). TBR since Sept. 2010.
7. Een vrouw in oorlog (Inside the Gestapo) - Helene Moszkiewiez. 254pp. (Belgium, Resistance, WWII). TBR since Sept. 2008.
6. De eenzaamheid van de priemgetallen - Paolo Giordano. 318pp. (Italy, bullying, isolation). TBR since 2010.
5. Letters to Alice on First Reading Jane Austen - Fay Weldon. 155pp. (Literature, Writing, Reading, Jane Austen). TBR since October 2009.
4. The Divide - Nicholas Evans. 438pp. (USA, crime). TBR since April 2008.
3. An End to Running - Lynne Reid Banks. 284pp. (UK / Israel, relationships, early 1960s, kibbutz). TBR since July 2008.
2. Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Extraordinary Journey to Promote Peace... One School at a Time - Greg Mortenson, David Oliver Relin. 338pp. (Pakistan / Afghanistan / USA, foreign aid, biography). TBR since Oct. 2011.
1. If Only It Were True - Marc Levy. 283pp. (USA, romance, ghosts). TBR since 2010.
BOOKS READ IN 2012:
READING NOW (or unfinished) - status at end of 2012:
xx. Het huis van de moskee - Kader Abdolah. Library book for Nijmegen Book Club. Shelved for now. On page 200.
xx. Centennial - James Michener. 1100pp. (USA, historical, The West). TBR since 2008. On page 763.
xx. Max Havelaar - Multatuli. 272pp. (Indonesia, colonialism, 1001). TBR since Sept. 2008. On page 82.
DECEMBER (Ultimate Challenge theme - Food & Drink)
65. Sink Reflections - Marla Cilley - The FlyLady. 223pp. (Self-help, Decluttering). TBR since May 2009.
64. Oeroeg (Forever a Stranger) - Hella S. Haasse. 111 pp. (1001, Indonesia, colonialism, racism). TBR since 2010.
63. The Breast - Philip Roth. 89pp. (USA, surreal, 1001). TBR since May 2012.
62. Moll Flanders - Daniel Defoe. 376pp. (UK / USA, C17th, London, poverty, 1001). TBR since June 2009.
NOVEMBER (Ultimate Challenge theme - Hobbies)
61. Op andere voeten - Elisabeth Keesing. 139pp. (NL, survivor guilt, Holocaust, Japanese camps). TBR since Oct. 2009.
60. How to Make an American Quilt - Whitney Otto. 179pp. (USA, women's history). TBR since June 2008.
59. Uncle Tom's Cabin - Harriet Beecher Stowe. 448pp. Own copy. (USA, slavery, 1852). TBR since 2008. English review for Dutch copy.
58. Hard Times - Charles Dickens. 277pp. (UK, utilitarianism, 1854, 1001). TBR since Jan. 2009.
57. The Scarlet Letter - Nathaniel Hawthorne. 173pp. (USA, set C17th, pub.1850, 1001). TBR since 2012.
56. Around the World in Eighty Days - Jules Verne. 245pp. (Adventure, 1870s, 1001). TBR since Sept. 2011.
OCTOBER (Ultimate Challenge theme - Celebrations)
55. The Robber Bride - Margaret Atwood.. 528pp. (Canada, 1001). TBR since 2011.
54. Bed - David Whitehouse. 295pp. (UK, obesity). TBR since Sept. 2012.
53. Taal is zeg maar echt mijn ding - Paulien Cornelisse. 212pp. (Dutch language, slang, humour). TBR since Sept. 2012.
52. En we gaan nog niet naar huis: gastarbeiderskinderen over hun jeugd - Sladjana Labovic. 176pp. (Netherlands, immigration). TBR since June 2012.
51. The Grass is Singing - Doris Lessing. 206pp. (Zimbabwe, 1001). TBR since May 2012.
SEPTEMBER (Ultimate Challenge theme - School, Papers, Books)
50. The Corrections - Jonathan Franzen. 568pp. (1001 book). TBR since April 2010.
49. Karel Deugd - Hans Henkes. 118pp. (Children's, emotions, anger, bullying). TBR since Sept. 2011.
48. Twenty Years A-Growing - Maurice O'Sullivan. 298pp. (Autobiography, Ireland, historical). TBR since April 2010.
47. Een schoolreis met verrassingen - Rie Warmerdam. 160pp. (Children's, school). TBR since Oct. 2009.
AUGUST (Ultimate Challenge theme - Clothes, Shoes, Jewellery)
46. Papavera: de ring van de kruisridder [Papavera: The Crusader's Ring] - E.W. Heine. 350pp. (Teen, historical). TBR since June 2009.
45. Small Island - Andrea Levy. 530pp. (Jamaica / UK, immigration, 1001). TBR since 2010.
44. The Secret Life of a Slummy Mummy - Fiona Neill. 420pp. (UK, motherhood, humour). TBR since 2011.
43. Flowers for Mrs Harris (or Mrs 'Arris Goes to Paris - Paul Gallico. 118pp. (Paris, Fashion, 1001).
42. Legacy - James Michener. 174pp. (USA, historical, US constitution).
JULY (Ultimate Challenge theme - Olympics, Sports, Pastimes):
41. The Daughter of Time - Josephine Tey. 187pp. (UK, historical mystery, Richard III). TBR since 1990.
40. Heartburn - Nora Ephron. 179pp. (USA, humour, divorce).
39. Virgin Earth - Philippa Gregory. 576pp. (UK / USA, historical, English Civil War).
38. Drowning Ruth - Christina Schwarz. 276pp. (USA, Wisconsin, mystery, families). TBR since July 2009 (Castricum).
JUNE (Ultimate Challenge theme - Numbers):
37. De zeven dagen van de mens - Adboel Hakiem Kasiem. 196pp. (Egypt, village life, festivals, Islam). TBR since Feb. 2011.
36. Nog eenmaal mijn moeder zien: als slavinnen verkocht door hun vader - Zana Muhsen, Andrew Crofts. 223pp. (Yemen, autobiography, kidnap, oppression). TBR since Jan. 2011.
35. Een onzichtbaar teken van mezelf - Aimee Bender. 223pp. (USA). TBR since 2010.
34. One Day - David Nicholls. 435pp. (UK, relationships). TBR since April 2012.
33. Een varken in het paleis - Tessa de Loo. 264pp. (Albania, Greece, travel). TBR since March 2010.
32. Nineteen Minutes - Jodie Picoult. 579pp. (USA, school shootings, bullying). TBR since 2009.
MAY (Ultimate Challenge theme - The Natural World):
31. We Need to Talk About Kevin - Lionel Shriver. 468pp. (USA, school shootings, mental health). TBR since July 2011.
30. Feet of Clay: Her Epic Walk Across Australia - Ffyona Campbell. 277pp. (Australia, travel). TBR since April 2010.
29. Blue Highways: A Journey Into America - William Least Heat Moon. 426pp. (USA, travel). TBR since 2011.
28. Keeping Mum: A Wartime Childhood - Brian Thompson. 258pp. (UK, WWII, autobiography). TBR since April 2009. YouTube film of Brian Thompson
27. The Water's Lovely - Ruth Rendell. 409pp. (England, psychological). TBR since Jan. 2010.
26. Zwellend fruit - Peter Verhelst. 143pp. (Greek legends, fairy tales, post-modern?, poetic). TBR since Feb. 2010 (Soloo's VBB).
APRIL (Ultimate Challenge theme - Architecture and Engineering):
25. De sariwinkel - Rupa Bajwa. 261pp. (India, Amritsar). TBR since Feb. 2010 (Soloo's VBB).
24. De glazen brug - Marga Minco. 95pp. (Netherlands, WWII, Jews in hiding). TBR since March 2010.
23. The Woman Who Walked into Doors - Roddy Doyle. 226pp. (Ireland, Dublin, violence). TBR since Feb. 2011.
22. Feet of Clay - Terry Pratchett. 415pp. (Fantasy, Discworld). TBR since July 2011.
21. The Room of Lost Things - Stella Duffy.. 312pp. (UK, London). TBR since 2010.
20. The Potter's House - Rosie Thomas. 486pp. (Greece). TBR since Sept. 2010.
19. The Little House - Philippa Gregory. 368pp. (UK, psychological, families). TBR since Oct. 2009.
18. Nip the Buds, Shoot the Kids - Kenzaburo Oe. 189pp. (Japan, WWII, refugees). Bookring. TBR since ?
17. The International - Glenn Patterson. 317pp. Borrowed. Read for Nijmegen Book Club.
MARCH (Ultimate Challenge theme - Colours):
16. The White Tiger - Aravind Adiga. 336pp. (India).
15. De geur van roestig ijzer - Harm de Jonge. 97pp. (NL, teens).
14. De koperen tuin - Simon Vestdijk. 320pp. (NL, 1001 book). TBR since June 2010. Started 05/03/12.
13. Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee - Dee Brown. 419pp. (USA, First Nations, oppression). TBR since April 2010. Started 04/03/12.
FEBRUARY (Ultimate Challenge theme - Weather):
12. Snow Flower and the Secret Fan - Lisa See. 253pp. (China, tradition, women). TBR since 2010?
11. In Search of April Raintree - Beatrice Culleton Mosionier. 335pp. (Canada, First Nations, oppression). TBR since Sept. 2011.
10. What Do I Do When I Want to do Everything? - Barbara Sher. Own copy. 268pp. (Organisation, self-help). New - via Ik Geef Weg.
9. The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon. 505pp. (Barcelona, mystery). TBR since 2011.
8. Half of a Yellow Sun - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. 433pp. (Nigeria, Biafra, 1001). TBR since 2011.
JANUARY (Ultimate Challenge theme - Non-fiction, real settings / people):
7. Measuring the World - Daniel Kehlmann. 259pp. (Germany, Venezuela, Paraguay). 1001. TBR since 2010.
6. Dagboek uit Bagdad - Nuha Al-Radi. 64pp. (Iraq, Gulf War, autobiography). TBR since April 2009.
5. Jeanne d'Arc: De maagd van Orléans - M.J. Krueck von Poturzyn. 303pp. (France, historical fiction). TBR since June 2009.
4. Rigoberta Menchu - Elisabeth Burgos. 284pp. (Guatemala, native Indians, oppression). TBR since June 2010.
3. The China Voyage: A Pacific Quest by Bamboo Raft - Tim Severin. 337pp. (Vietnam, China, Japan, Pacific, expeditions). TBR since May 2008.
2. Anita and Me - Meera Syal. 328pp. (UK, British Asian, immigrant experience, semi-autobiographical). TBR since Oct. 2010.
1. Ergens in de verte - Youp van 't Hek. ??pp. (NL, observational humour). TBR since June 2009.
BOOKS READ IN 2011:
DECEMBER (Ultimate Challenge theme - Transport, Travel):
82. The Old Man and the Sea - Ernest Hemingway. 118pp. (Cuba, Fishing). TBR since Dec. 2010.
81. Tussen Orinoco en Amazone (In Trouble Again) - Redmond O'Hanlon. 403pp. (Venezuela, Exploring). TBR since March 2010.
80. A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian - Marina Lewycka. 324pp. (UK, Immigrants, Aging, Families). TBR since Oct. 2010.
NOVEMBER (Ultimate Challenge theme - Time & Space):
79. Endymion Spring - Matthew Skelton. Own copy in English. 442pp. (Teens, Historical, Magical, Books & Libraries, Germany, UK). TBR since 2009? To be reviewed on GoodReads in English. TBR
78. De tijd stopt niet voor muizen - Michael Hoeye. 270pp. (Children's Fantasy, Detectives). TBR since June 2009.
77. Durftevragen: de kracht van sociale overwaarde - Nils Roemen & Fanny Koerts. 109pp. (Inspiration, renewal, social media, networking, making the world a better place, social surplus).
76. Die nacht in Lissabon - E.M. Remarque. 250pp. (Germany, France, Portugal, WWII, Jews). TBR since June 2009.
75. If Not Now, When? - Primo Levi. 328pp. (Poland, Russia, WWII partisans, resistance). TBR since June 2010.
74. Night - Elie Wiesel. 120pp. (Biography, Holocaust, Rumania). TBR since May 2011.
73. Once - Morris Gleitzman. 150pp. (Children's 11+, Holocaust, Poland). TBR since 2010.
72. Een vriendin voor dag en nacht - Ton van Reen. 102pp. (Children's 10+, spooky). TBR since March 2009.
71. British as a Second Language - David Bennun. 309pp. Rec'd 10th Nov. 2010 from Annimanni (Two Worlds VBB).
OCTOBER (Ultimate Challenge theme - Halloween):
70. The Pumpkin Eater - Penelope Mortimer. 158pp. (Women, feminism, family life, UK).
69. A Place of Execution – Val McDermid. 404pp. (Crime, murder, UK). TBR since May 2008.
68. Odd One Out: The Maverick’s Guide to Adult ADD – How to Be Happy and Successful by Breaking the Rules. 162pp. (Mental Health, Self-Help). TBR since Oct. 2011.
67. Salem Falls – Jodi Picoult. 486pp. (Crime, sexual abuse, USA). TBR since Oct. 2009.
66. As If – Blake Morrison. 144pp. (True crime, murder, UK). TBR since Sept. 2011.
65. Bombs on Aunt Dainty - Judith Kerr. 335pp. (Autobiography, WWII, refugees, expats, London). TBR since June 2010.
64. Het magische spoor - Cliff McNish. 200pp. (Children / teens, Fantasy, magic, witches). TBR since Sept. 2008.
63. Een vaas voor de keizer, een schaal voor de meid - Mansfield Kirby. 70pp. (China / NL). TBR since Sept. 2008.
62. Het demonische schoolhoofd - Gillian Cross. 135pp. (Children, school, England). TBR since July 2011.
61. Sprookjes - Elsa Beskouw. 96pp. (Fairytales). TBR since 2000!
60. Zwerfkind - Libby Hathorn. 134pp. (Children, foster children, England). TBR since March 2009.
59. Vlaamse frieten, heilige koeien en groot applaus - Peter Hoogenboom. 256pp. TBR since 2008.
58. Het oploskind - Kirsten Boie. 139pp. (Teens, peer pressure, environment). TBR since March 2009.
SEPTEMBER (Ultimate Challenge theme - Favourite books):
57. Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life - Barbara Kingsolver. 352pp. (Sustainability, food industry, gardening, cookery). TBR since Sept. 2010.
56. Whistling for the Elephants - Sandi Toksvig. 300pp. (Strong women, growing up). TBR since 2010.
55. The Book of Proper Names - Amélie Nothomb. 126pp. (Teen, Anorexia, France). TBR since Aug. 2011.
54. Sushi for Beginners - Marian Keyes. 564pp. (Chicklit, relationships, Ireland). TBR since June 2010.
53. Kafka on the Shore - Haruki Murakami (own copy). 505pp. (Japan, magical realism). TBR since Sept. 2009.
52. The Sunday Philosophy Club - Alexander McCall Smith. 297pp. (Murder mystery, Scotland). TBR since 2010.
AUGUST (Ultimate Challenge theme - Summer, holidays, gardening):
51. Journey to the River Sea - Eva Ibbotson. 296pp. LyzzyBee’s ring, signed up Nov. 2010 (rec'd 14/06/11). Bookring.
50. Empire of the Sun - J.G. Ballard. 375pp. (China, WWII, 1001 book, Movie book). TBR since June 2010. 10 ***.
49. Not On the Label: What Really Goes into the Food on Your Plate - Felicity Lawrence. 236pp. (Food Industry). TBR since Aug. 2008.
48. On the Black Hill - Bruce Chatwin. 249pp. (Rural England). TBR since 2010.
47. Mr Rosenblum's List: or Friendly Guidance for the Aspiring Englishman - Natasha Solomons!!!. 324pp. (Rural England, Immigration). TBR since July 2011.
46. The Pilot's Wife - Anita Shreve. 293pp. (Mystery, Relationships, USA). TBR since April 2010.
JULY (Ultimate Challenge theme - Elements, Metals, Substances):
45. Want dit is mijn lichaam - Renate Dorrestein. 92pp? (Murder, NL). TBR since summer 2010.
44. Tilled Earth - Manjushree Thapa. 184pp. (Short stories, Nepal & diaspora). TBR since Feb. 2010
JUNE (Ultimate Challenge theme - Body Parts):
43. Het neusje van Peru - Martine Salomé. 168pp. TBR since June 2010
42. Kerewin - Keri Hulme. 783pp. (NZ, Maori, child abuse). TBR since Feb. 2009
41. Ik.nl: Wie wil je zijn op internet? - Carlijn Postma. 119pp. (Personal branding). Own copy.
40. Ja maar, wat als alles lukt? - Berthold Gunster. 273pp. (Motivation). Own copy
MAY (Ultimate Challenge theme - Movies, TV, Radio):
39. The Whale Rider - Witi Ihimaera. 168pp. (NZ, Maori, modern life / myth). TBR since March 2010
38. De schuilplaats (The Hiding Place) – Corrie ten Boom. 276pp. (Netherlands, WWII, Occupation, Jews, Movie Book). TBR since April 2010.
37. Chocolat: a novel - Joanne Harris, own copy. TBR since Sept. 2009. 306pp. (France, romance).
APRIL (Ultimate Challenge theme - Food & Drink):
36. De garnalenpelster – Nilgün Yerli. 178pp. (Teens, Turkey / Netherlands, Immigration). TBR since June 2010.
35. Het geheim van Mories Besjoer. 159pp. (Teens, mystery). TBR since Oct. 2009
34. De eilander – Cynthia Rylant. 60pp. (Children’s). TBR since March 2009.
33. Het Sixtijnse geheim. 283pp. (Mystery, Religion, Vatican). TBR since Aug. 2008.
32. Being Invisible - Thomas Berger. 262pp. (USA, humour?). TBR since Dec. 2008.
31. The Gargoyle - Andrew Davidson. 499pp. (Fantastical, Fairy-tale, Historical). Brilliant!!!
30. The Last Will and Testament of Senhor da Silva Araujo - Germano Almeida. 152pp. (Cape Verde)
29. Stanley Park - Timothy Taylor. 423pp. (Canada, Vancouver, Culinary tale). Canada Reads book.
MARCH (Ultimate challenge theme - Non-fiction):
28. The Reluctant Fundamentalist - Mohsin Hamid. 209pp. (Pakistan, 9/11). World Book Night book.
27. Koninkrijk in de wolken: mijn jaar in Bhutan - Britta Das. 303pp. (Bhutan, Developing World).
26. Sisyphus in de delta? Ontwikkelingssamenwerking in Bangladesh. 143pp. (Bangladesh, Developing World).
25. News from Tartary: A Journey from Peking to Kashmir - Peter Fleming. 389pp. (Travel, Silk Route, China, Turkistan, India).
24. Things My Mother Never Told Me - Blake Morrison. 338pp. (UK, Biography, WWII).
23. De pianoman - Bernlef. 89pp. (UK / NL, Based on true story).
22. A Life Stripped Bare: My Year Trying to Live Ethically - Leo Hickman. 343pp. (UK, Environment).
21. Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close - Jonathan Safran Foer. 326pp. (Grief, Love, 9/11). TBR since Sept. 2009.
20. Natascha Kampusch: het meisje in de kelder - Allan Hall, Michael Leidig. 285pp. (Austria, true crime).
19. White Cargo - Felicity Kendal. 319pp. (Autobiography, India, theatre). TBR since ?
FEBRUARY (Ultimate Challenge theme - Love):
18. Orlando - Virginia Woolf. 215pp. (Fantasy, England, feminism). 1001 book.
17. Rachels rokje – Charlotte Mutsaers. 319pp (abandoned after 55pp.) TBR since Dec. 2008.
16. De liefdesboom - Jos Vandeloo. 189pp. (Belgium, loneliness). TBR since March 2009.
15. Ik mis je, ik mis je – Peter Pohl, Kinna Gieth. 215pp. (Sweden, teens, twins, grieving). TBR since March 2009.
14. A Whiff of Scandal – Carole Matthews. 342pp. (England, chick-lit). TBR since May 2008.
13. Sally - Freya North. (Chicklit). TBR since June 2009. (Abandoned after 53pp.)
12. The Reader - Bernhard Schlink. 216pp. (Germany, Holocaust, second generation). 1001 book. TBR since June 2010.
11. All Because of You - Melissa Hill. 449pp. (Romance, chick-lit).
10. Nineteen Eighty-Four - George Orwell, 247pp. Own copy. (Dystopia, sci fi). 1001 book. TBR since long ago.
9. People of the Wolf - W. Michael Gear & Kathleen O'Neal Gear. 435pp. (Prehistoric Native Americans, Beringia = prehistoric landbridge between Siberia & North America). TBR since Sept. 2008.
JANUARY (Ultimate Challenge theme - Creatures):
8. Als broer en zus - René Appel. 90pp. (Thriller, NL). TBR since Aug. 2008.
7. Naar het sneeuwgebergte - Bart Vos. 259pp. (Travel, Irian Jaya = New Guinea). TBR since June 2009.
6. Het andere kind - Tom Gilling. 190pp. (Fantastical historical, Van Dieman’s Land =Tasmania). TBR since April 2009. Read 17/01 - 21/01/11.
5. Niemand weet waar ik ben - Julia Samuël, Elise G. Lengkeek. 253pp. (Autobiography, Africa, cancer). Rec’d 26th Nov. 2010. Read 15/01 - 17/01/11.
4. Archer's Goon - Diana Wynn Jones. 241pp. (Fantasy). Rec'd 13th Nov. 2010. Tsjara’s ring. Read 11/01 - 15/01/11.
3. De dochter - Jessica Durlacher. 239pp. (Netherlands, 2nd generation holocaust survivors). TBR since April 2009. 8 stars.
2. Crossing Paths - the Bookcrossing Novel - Debbie Robson. 598pp. Chamonix44’s ring. Rec’d 7th Dec. 2010. Finished 7th Jan. 2011. Read first 224 pages in 2010.
1. Het verhaal van de bamboesnijder - Pauline van de Ven. 223pp. (Japan, fairy tales).
RINGS, RAYS AND RABCKS:
N.B. I now only sign up for rings if it is something truly irresistible, and I only look on the bookring forum once in a blue moon to keep temptation at bay. If I do receive a bookring, I keep at on a separate shelf so it doesn't get lost! Rings are always at the top of my TBR pile.
RINGS / RAYS IN MY POSSESSION:
RINGS STARTED BY ME:
De avonturen van Beertje Paddington - Michael Bond. Sent to Ingootje (-> Dettie --> -Nika-). Back home & released to school.
De toevallige tourist - Anne Tyler. Sent to Ingootje (-> Dettie --> -Nika-). Back home & released to OBCZ Lux.
De schaduw van Skellig - David Almond. 189pp. (Teens, Fantasy, England). Ring: Janna2, koekiebak, anyrock, oehoeboeroe.
De bijenkoning - Mick Jackson. (WWII, Village life, UK). 226pp. Ring: Zipenzoep.
Everything is Illuminated - Jonathan Safran Foer. Niksu, Kiki66, Charly83, Oedde, Griote, eggs2805.
RESERVED FOR RINGS / BOXES:
The Floating World - Cynthia Kadohata For Two Worlds VBB
Crome Yellow - Aldous Huxley For 1001 Library.
CHALLENGES 2011: (2011???? It's now 2016!)
1. The Ultimate Challenge 2011 . Read & release books. Extra points for a monthly theme.
2. Reduce Mount TBR Challenge 2011 - challenge yourself to read a certain number of books on the To Be Read shelf, or which were in your possession before January 1st 2011: my goal is 75 this year, as my BookCrossing MountTBR is higher! See here.
3. SIY Challenge:
• 3 1001 books
• 3 thick books
• 9 books set in different countries (to fit the 6 countries, 6 continents, 6 books challenge)
• 6 of my TBR books which have been on my shelf the longest
• 3 non-fiction
4. Personal Read-My-Way-Round-the-World Challenge (see my map below)
5. 6 Books, 6 Countries, 6 Continents Reading Challenge. Started anew in 2011.
6. 2011 Pages Read Challenge. Goal 24,000.
7. The Movie Books Challenge
8. 1001 books challenge, http://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/6/417760/6656967.
WHERE I'VE TRAVELLED TO IN MY BOOKS 2012:
Add new map
I'm tracking which countries I've read about on the maps below. So far I've visited (not yet added to map):
PLACES READ ABOUT IN 2011:
2011 Europe: Netherlands, Germany, Sweden, Belgium, Austria, UK, Vatican City, France, Poland, Romania
2011 Africa: Mozambique, Cape Verde, Libya
2011 Asia: India, China, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Pakistan, Nepal, Japan, Turkey
2011 Australasia/Oceania: Tasmania (Australia), Irian Jaya (New Guinea) - politically part of Indonesia, but geographically part of Oceania, New Zealand
2011 North America: USA, Canada, Cuba
2011 South America: Brazil, Peru, Venezuela
MAP OF PLACES READ ABOUT IN 2011:
visited 32 states (14.2%)
Create your own visited map of The World or website vertaling duits?
Europe: England (18x), Netherlands (4x), France (2x), Germany (2x), Ireland, Italy, Scotland, Sweden, Ukraine
Africa: Botswana, Kenya (2x), South Africa (2x), (Kenya, Benin, Ethiopia, Nigeria, Rwanda), (Liberia, Sierra Leone), (Egypt, Sudan, Uganda), (Sudan, Ethiopia), (SA, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Nigeria)
Asia: Burma (= Myanmar), China, Israel, Malaysia
Australasia/Oceania: Australia 2, Marshall Islands
North America: Canada (3x), USA 16, Caribbean (St. Andrews), Hawaii, Falklands
South America: Mexico 2, Falklands
Europe: England, Scotland, Channel Islands (Guernsey), Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Georgia, Ireland, Italy, The Netherlands, Norway, Romania, Spain
Africa: Botswana, Congo, Ethiopa (fictionalised as Azania in 'Black Mischief'), Eritrea, Sudan
Asia: Afghanistan (2x), China, India (several times), Iran, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia
Australasia/Oceania: Australia (4x), New Guinea (politically part of Indonesia, but geographically part of Australasia/Oceania)
Americas: Argentina, Brazil? (The Lost World), Canada, Chile, USA, Venezuela
VISITED IN 2009, 2010 & 2011
visited 117 states (52%)
Create your own visited map of The World
WHICH US STATES I'VE TRAVELLED TO IN MY BOOKS
In 2011 I have read books set in
In 2010 I read books set in Alabama, California (2x), Hawaii, Illinois, Minnesota (2x), New York (3x), North Carolina, Pennsylvania (2x), Texas, Virginia.
In 2009 I read books set in California, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Missouri, New York and Tennessee.
chart.apis.google.com/chart?... width="440" height="220" >
visited 15 states (30%) - last updated 2nd Jan. 2011
Create your own visited map of The United States
1001 BOOKS TO BE READ:
☐ 1001 Nights
☐ Things Fall Apart - Chinua Achebe - Nigeria
☐ Aesop’s Fables – Aesop - Greece
☐ Lucky Jim - Kingsley Amis (BC)
☐ The Old Devils - Kingsley Amis (own copy) 1986
☐ I, Robot - Isaac Asimov - USA
☐ Another World - Pat Barker
☐ The Master and Margarita - Mikhail Bulgakov - Russia
☐ The Pilgrim’s Progress – John Bunyan
☐ The Lost Steps [Heimwee naar de jungle] - Alejo Carpentier - Cuba
☐ 2001: A Space Odyssey - Arthur C. Clarke - USA
☐ Veronika Decides to Die - Paulo Coelho - Brazil
☐ The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins - UK
☐ Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad - Poland
☐ Lord Jim – Joseph Conrad - Poland
☐ Don Quixote - Miguel de Cervantes – BC - Spain
☐ The Little Prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupery (own copy)
☐ Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? - Philip K. Dick
☐ David Copperfield – Charles Dickens – UK
☐ A Tale of Two Cities – Charles Dickens - UK
☐ Great Expectations - Charles Dickens - UK
☐ Out of Africa – Isak Dineson - Denmark
☐ The Three Musketeers – Alexandre Dumas - France
☐ Adam Bede - George Eliot - UK
☐ Middlemarch - George Eliot - UK
☐ The Mill on the Floss – George Eliot - UK
☐ Troubles - J.G. Farrell - UK
☐ Last of the Mohicans – James Fenimore Cooper - USA
☐ Madame Bovary - Gustave Flaubert - France
☐ The Magus - John Fowles - UK
☐ Memoirs of a Geisha – Arthur Golden - USA
☐ The Vicar of Wakefield - Oliver Goldsmith - UK
☐ Burger's Daughter - Nadine Gordimer - South Africa - half-read
☐ A Scots Quair (Sunset Song) - Lewis Grassic Gibbon
☐ The Power and the Glory - Graham Greene - UK
☐ The Quiet American - Graham Greene - UK
☐ Jude the Obscure – Thomas Hardy - UK
☐ The Mayor of Casterbridge - Thomas Hardy - UK
☐ The Woodlanders – Thomas Hardy - UK
☐ Return of the Native – Thomas Hardy - UK
☐ A Pale View of Hills - Kazuo Ishiguro - Japan
☐ Never Let Me Go – Kazuo Ishiguro - Japan
☐ Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro - Japan
☐ Fear of Flying - Erica Jong - USA - almost finished
☐ Ignorance - Milan Kundera
☐ Women in Love - D.H. Lawrence - UK
☐ If This Is a Man – Primo Levi - Italy
☐ A Fine Balance - Rohinton Mistry - India
☐ Beloved - Toni Morrison - USA
☐ Max Havelaar – Multatuli – Netherlands / Indonesia - still reading
☐ Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov - Russia
☐ Rituals (Rituelen) – Cees Nooteboom - Netherlands
☐ The Laws (De wetten) - Connie Palmen - Netherlands
☐ Remembrance of Things Past - Marcel Proust - France
☐ Wide Sargasso Sea - Jean Rhys
☐ Fury (Woede) – Salman Rushdie - UK
☐ Midnight's Children - Salman Rushdie - UK - half!
☐ Shame - Salman Rushdie - UK
☐ The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger
☐ There But For The - Ali Smith - UK
☐ Cancer Ward – Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn - Russia
☐ The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck - USA
☐ Gulliver’s Travels – Jonathan Swift - UK
☐ Vanity Fair - William Makepeace Thackeray - UK
☐ Rabbit Run - John Updike
☐ Slaughterhouse Five - Kurt Vonnegut - USA
☐ Fingersmith – Sarah Waters - UK
☐ The Invisible Man - H.G. Wells - UK
☐ The Time Machine - H.G. Wells - UK
☐ The War of the Worlds - H.G. Wells - UK
☐ The Age of Innocence - Edith Wharton - USA
1001 BOOKS ALREADY READ:
✓ I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings - Maya Angelou - USA
✓ Cat’s Eye – Margaret Atwood
✓ The Robber Bride - Margaret Atwood (own copy) 2012
✓ Uncle Tom's Cabin - Harriet Beecher Stowe (own copy) 2012
✓ The Adventures of Augie March – Saul Bellow
✓ The Heat of the Day - Elizabeth Bowen
✓ Possession: A Romance - A.S. Byatt – BC
✓ The Moonstone - Wilkie Collins (own copy)
✓ Moll Flanders - Daniel Defoe – BC 2012
✓ The Inheritance of Loss - Kiran Desai - India
✓ The Corrections – Jonathan Franzen - USA
✓ Neuromancer - William Gibson
✓ Forever a Stranger – Hella Haasse - Netherlands 2012
✓ Elementary Particles (Atomised) - Michel Houellebcq
✓ Fear of Flying - Erica Jong
✓ One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest – Ken Kesey - USA
✓ The Unbearable Lightness of Being - Milan Kundera
✓ The Golden Notebook – Doris Lessing - Zimbabwe
✓ Small Island – Andrea Levy – UK / Jamaica 2012
✓ The Sea, The Sea – Iris Murdoch - UK
✓ Pluck the Bud and Destroy the Offspring Kenzaburo Oe - Japan
✓ Vernon God Little - DBC Pierre - Australia
✓ The Shipping News - E. Annie Proulx - USA
✓ The Last World - Christoph Ransmayr - Austria
✓ The Breast - Philip Roth 2012
✓ The God of Small Things - Arundhati Roy - India
✓ The Reader - Bernhard Schlink - Germany
✓ A Town Like Alice – Nevil Shute – UK / Australia
✓ Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck
✓ The Beautiful Mrs Seidenman - Andrzej Szczypiorski - Poland
✓ Around the World in Eighty Days – Jules Verne - France 2012
✓ The Garden Where the Brass Band Played - Simon Vestdijk - Netherlands
✓ The Temple of My Familiar – Alice Walker - USA
✓ Ethan Frome - Edith Wharton - USA
✓ The House of Mirth - Edith Wharton - USA
✓ The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UK
✓ Orlando - Virginia Woolf - UK
Usual disclaimer: The books on my bookshelf which are listed as TBR do reflect my taste in reading. The rest, though, do not necessarily, as the majority come from the English club (www.icon-nijmegen.com), with generous donations from a number of fellow Bookcrossers in the Netherlands, especially Moem, Hema-verf and 061019alexandra who responded to my forum posts talking about setting up an English-language OBCZ by giving and sending me yet more English books. Most of these books have now been transferred to the ForeignExchange BCZ (http://www.bookcrossing.com/bookshelf/foreignexchange), which is currently a number of boxes in my back room which can be "borrowed" by members of ICON.
I am always happy to receive English books. PM me about anything on my shelf, and I will decide on an individual basis if it's time to let it go yet ;-) I use the status to mean the following:
AVL / Available = Please ask me about it
TBR / To be read = Waiting to be read by me. If you're interested, why not ask me to read it soon!
PC / Personal Collection = I'd like to keep this book, but you can always ask if I would lend it to you
RES / Reserved = Either it's waiting to be taken to an OBCZ or meeting, it's part of a ring, or I have to send it to somebody
TRAV / Travelling = No longer in my possession; it's either in the wild, or on its way to the next reader
Apparently I taught myself to read before I went to school, and I haven't stopped since. If there wasn't anything better to read, I'd read the label on the ketchup bottle or the cereal packet. My family always leaves me behind in museums and zoos, because I want to read all the information. Many's the time I've burnt the dinner because I'm reading my book instead of paying attention to the food - and that's assuming I could tear myself away from my book to cook in the first place.
It came as no surprise to my friends and family when I ruled out my original career choices of ballet dancer or opera singer as impractical, and decided to do a degreee in Library Studies. In my sandwich year, I worked at the library of the British Standards Institute, but since then I haven't pursued my chosen career formally. That doesn't mean to say that I haven't been able to indulge my love of books; our house is full to overflowing with them, & I'm often to be found staggering home under a load of books from the local library or a bookshop, especially when we visit England. I just can't resist.
And now I've discovered another way to share books - Bookcrossing. A couple of years ago, I read an article in a British newspaper, and loved the idea of releasing books into the wild, but I put the article into a filing tray, & it hasn't emerged since (filing isn't one of my hobbies!). Then, during a visit to a local hospital to have my daughter's hearing checked, I discovered a book "in the wild". It wasn't a book I wanted to read - it was an old and uninspiring book in French. But it did make me come and have a look at the Bookcrossing site, and the rest, as they say, is history. I'm hooked. I hope to register some of my own books & set them free at some point, but at the moment I've got more than enough to do. And this is why.... For a number of years I've belonged to an English-speaking Expat Club, Foreign Exchange (now called ICON) based in the Nijmegen region. At some time in the past, a number of boxes of English books were left at a cafe, & were initially brought out once a month so that our members could swap their books. Gradually, it came to a standstill, and the books were left to gather dust in a cafe attic (or was it a basement?!). In any case, they started to feel neglected, & nobody knew what was there. Sad. So I had the inspired idea (I think so, anyway) to register all those books as Bookcrossing books. Now all the ICON members (and anyone else who cares to look) can see what there is & send me a PM (Private Message) if they're interested in anything. At the moment all the books are in my back room (to the displeasure of my husband :-( , so I'm keen to start up a bookshelf somewhere (or several, preferably) so that people can swap books at will. All the books are now listed on the ForeignExchange bookshelf.
BOOKS READ IN 2010:
DECEMBER (Ultimate challenge theme - Mystery):
88. Crossing Paths - the Bookcrossing Novel - Debbie Robson. 598pp. Chamonix44’s ring. Rec’d 7th Dec. 2010.
87. Vernon God Little - DBC Pierre. 277pp. (1001 book, USA / Mexico, Texas). TBR since September 2009 -> ForeignExchange
86. Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck. 118pp. (1001 book, USA, California, 1930s). TBR since November 2009 -> ForeignExchange
85. The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde. 208pp. (1001 book). TBR since May 2008 -> ForeignExchange
84. No Man’s Land: A Personal Journey into Africa - John Heminway. 298pp. (Africa, travel). TBR since April 2010. -> Loveamystery.
83. Head Above Water - Buchi Emecheta. 243pp. (Autobiography, Nigeria, UK, feminism ). TBR since June 2010. -> Loveamystery.
NOVEMBER (Ultimate challenge theme - Series):
82. Joan Makes History - Kate Grenville. 285pp. (Australia, historical, women’s role). TBR since May 2008.
81. When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit - Judith Kerr. 192pp. (1930s, Germany, Switzerland, France, refugees). ApoloniaX’s ray.
80. John Dollar - Marianne Wiggins. 234pp. (Burma / Myanmar, Anderman Islands, 1918).
79. The Left Hand of Darkness - Ursula LeGuin. 256pp. (Sci-fi, future). SENT to Twinfather 26th Nov. 2010.
78. Simon's Night - Jon Hassler. 310pp. (Minnesota, ageing, humour). AVL.
77. Everything is Illuminated - Jonathan Safran Foer. 276pp. (Ukraine, Holocaust, WWII). Reserved for ring.
76. The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox - Maggie O'Farrell. 277pp. (Scotland, mental health, history). AVL.
75. A Civil Campaign: A Comedy of Biology and Manners (A Vorkosigan Adventure) - Lois McMasters Bujold. 534pp. (Romantic Sci Fi, Alternative History). AVL.
66. The Emerald Cloak - June Packwod. 256pp. (Fiction, Ireland, Canada, Historical). AVL.
65. The Cloning of Joanna May - Fay Weldon. 351pp. (Fiction, Relationships, England). AVL.
64. Psychics & Swords: the Amazing and Totally Plausible Adventures of Steve Walton - J.M. Naydol. 304pp. Rec'd 18th April 2010.
63. A Swiftly Tilting Planet - Madeleine L'Engle. Hayes13's ring. PM sent to Ana-b.
AUGUST (Ultimate challenge theme - Animals):
62. Dave Gorman’s Googlewhack Adventure - Dave Gorman. 343pp. (Humorous fact). -> Meeting Eindhoven.
60. The Pearl (simplified) - John Steinbeck, M.J. Paine. 69pp. (Fiction, Mexico). AVL.
58. Monkeewrench - P.J. Tracy. 404pp. (Techno-thriller, USA, Minnesota). Gripping! -> ForeignExchange.
56. Dances With Wolves - Michael Blake. 313pp. (Historical fiction, USA). AVL.
54. The Big Sleep - Raymond Chandler. 216pp. (Detective, USA, 1001 book). AVL.
53. A Wind in the Door - Madeleine L’Engle. 203pp. (Sci-fi). -> AnaB.
51. A Wrinkle in Time - Madeleine L’Engle. 190pp. (Sci-fi). -> AnaB.
JULY (Ultimate challenge theme - Summer Fun):
50. The Rector's Wife - Joanna Trollope. 284pp. (England, rural life). Expat Book Box -. Kathmeista.
49. Australië op blote voeten: mutant message downunder - Marlo Morgan. 195pp. (Fiction, Australia, aboriginals). -> Meeting Eindhoven.
48. Alone on a Wide Wide Sea - Michael Morpurgo. 313pp. (Teens, Australia, Tasmania, Falklands, sea travel). Wishlist RABCK from ApoloniaX. Vielen Dank! AVL.
47. Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe - Fanny Flagg. 403pp. -> Plinius.
46. What is the What - Dave Eggers . 475pp. (Biography / History, Sudan, Ethiopia). Plinius' ring. Rec’d July 7th 2010. -> Plinius.
JUNE (Ultimate challenge theme - Weapons):
45. To the Heart of the Nile. 470pp. (Biography, Africa, Egypt / Sudan / Uganda). TBR since June 2009. -> ForeignExchange.
44. The Camel Bookmobile - Masha Hamilton. 308pp. (Fiction, Africa, Kenya). TBR since Sept. 2009. AVL.
43. Ongebroken - Wangari Maathai. 417pp. (Autobiography, Kenya, Green Belt Movement).
42. Het koninkrijk van Sebah - Vamba Sherif. 316pp. (Africa, Netherlands, refugees, immigrants). Started June 8th. TBR since July 2008.
40. Say You're One of Them - Uwem Akpan. 292pp. (Africa: Kenya, Benin, Ethiopia, Nigeria, Rwanda, Short stories).
MAY (Ultimate challenge theme - Movies):
39. Een werewolf in de leeuwenkuil - Paul van Loon. ?pp. (Children’s, fantasy). Sent to z0nnebl0em.
38. The Secret Song - Michael Williams. 178pp. (South Africa, Karoo). AVL.
37. A Story Like the Wind - Laurens van der Post. 474pp. (Botswana, Kalahari). AVL.
36. Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell. 509pp. -> EvaCG.
35. Het beloofde land - Adriaan van Dis. 123pp. (South Africa, travel). Finished 4th May. SEND TO Audje.
APRIL (Ultimate challenge theme - Humour):
34. Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch - Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett. 412pp. (Humour, Fiction). -> Moriquen.
33. Daar komen de gekken - Kamran Nazeer. 128pp. (Autism). Hoisvolbuukske's ring. Rec'd 18th April 2010. Finished 25th April. Posted to -Nika- on June 8th.
32. Me Talk Pretty One Day - David Sedaris. 272pp. (Humour, New York / France). TBR since Jan. 2008. Posted to HunterRyu June 8th.
31. De wraak van de kangoeroe (sagen uit het moderne leven) - Peter Burger. ? pp. (Urban legends). Flashmob release Amsterdam ;-D The JE was lost in the site update
30. Spilling the Beans - Clarissa Dickson-Wright. 316pp. Starflash's ring. Rec'd 4th March 2010. Posted to Kobie03 (Newfoundland) on June 8th.
29. Mr Toppit - Charles Elton. 343pp. Sneeuws' ring. Rec'd 27th Feb 2010. SEND BACK TO SNEEUWS.
28. I'm Not Scared - Niccolo Ammaniti. 226pp. (Italy, Crime, 1978). Filmed. 1001 Book. Posted to Jozebedee June 8th.
MARCH (Ultimate challenge theme - Video Games):
27. Crome Yellow - Aldous Huxley. 174pp. (Britain, Society, 1920s). 1001 book.
26. Kinderen van Udim - Gila Almagor. 150pp. (Israel, jewish orphan village, 1953). Filmed as Under the Domin Tree. AVL.
25. The Consul's File - Paul Theroux. 202pp. (Malaysia, Expat life, 1970s). Reserved for Two Worlds VBB.
24. The Wrong Boy - Willy Russell. 507pp. Vekiki's ray. Sign up here. Rec'd 27th Feb 2010. Started 17th March. Finished 22nd March. PM sent to silvia-pco June 8th (Tsjara asked to be skipped)!!!!!!
23. The Thirteenth Tale. 456pp. Kerriou's/Imawinn2's ring (replacement). Rec'd 16th Feb. Finished 17th March. Posted to Penelopewanders 7th June. ***** Superb!
22. Verborgen gebreken - Renate Dorrestein. 238pp. (Family drama, thriller).
21. Korte metten - Renate Dorrestein. 143pp. (Feminist articles, humour). Signed -> Anyrock.
FEBRUARY (Ultimate challenge theme - Valentine's Day & Love):
20. The Other Side of the Story - Marian Keyes. 648pp. (London, Dublin, publishing, relationships) -> ForeignExchange
19. The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold. 372pp. (USA, Pennsylvania, afterlife). Reserved for friend.
18. Italian Shoes - Henning Mankell. 247pp. Yilla's ring.
17. Foreign Correspondence: A Pen Pal's Journey from Down Under to All Over - Geraldine Brooks. 210pp. (Australia, USA). Posted to LineP ☺
16. The History of Love - Nicole Krauss. 385pp. (Relationships, New York). Own copy. Finished 15th Feb. ***** Brilliant!
15. The Notebook - Nicholas Sparks. 213pp. (Romance, North Carolina). Started 9th Feb. Finished 11th Feb. -> ForeignExchange.
14. Silences of the Heart. (Emigration, families, Canada), 232pp. Loveamystery's Two Worlds Virtual Bookbox. Rec'd 23rd April '09. Started 4th Feb. Finished 9th Feb. -> Two Worlds VBB.
13. Friends Like These - Victoria Routledge. 374pp. Started 2nd Feb. Finished 4th Feb. -> friend.
12. Aardappelsalade per post - Lena Gorelik. 198pp. Dettie's ray. Rec'd 31st Dec. -> Antonettes ☺.
JANUARY (Ultimate challenge theme - Birthdays & Parties):
11. Open huis - Jill Mansell". 283pp. (UK, romance, humour, 1980s.) -> ?
10. Behaving Badly - Catherine Heath. 224pp. (UK, aging, families, 1980s). -> ForeignExchange.
9. De tuin van de samoerai - Gail Tsukiyama. 303pp. Zijdewerkster's ring. Rec'd 22nd Sept. Sent 29/01/10 -> Zijdewerkster. ☺
8. Hallo nachtvlinder! - Koos Meinderts. 94pp. (Teens, Netherlands).
7. Ruby fruit jungle. 206pp. (USA, Pennsylvania, ?).
6. Rode rozen en tortilla's (Like Water for Chocolate) - Laura Esquival. 236pp. (Mexico, Love, Magic, Relationships, 1001 book). ***** Wonderful - get the DVD!
5. Transit - Hella S. Haasse. 92pp. ?
4. Weerborstels - A.F.Th. van der Heijden. 94pp. ?
3. Sushi & Chardonnay - Yoyo van Gemerde. Last in ray! ?
2. Alias Grace - Margaret Atwood. 420pp. (Canada, True Crime, Historical, 1001 book). Last in ray. Soloo's VBB.
1. De schaduw van Skellig - David Almond. 189pp. (Teens, Fantasy, England). -> Ring