Joined Sunday, November 18, 2007
Home page moriquensbookshelf.webs.com/
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious."
If you like any of the books on my AVL shelf, please feel free to contact me! If you would like to surprise me (thank you) with a book from my wishlist (thank you, thank you), I am on RABCK.com! :D
Let me introduce myself:
I am a teacher from Belgium. I can teach Dutch, English and History, although I've also taught Technology ... don't ask.
I have very few hobbies apart from reading and travelling! And even those hobbies I can't practise as much as I would like to. Teaching does tend to take up a lot of your time and energy. :D I also love music. I like a lot of different music, but my favourite kinds of music are rock and metal.
I've lived together with my boyfriend in my hometown of Antwerp for five years and we have recently moved to a small village, where life moves at a different speed altogether. In 2013 and 2016 I became the proud mother of our two girls and I must admit that since then reading and bookcrossing has taken a bit of a backseat, but I'm still trying to do both as much as I can.
I am usually a rather upbeat and optimistic person, except once a month I become slightly evil ... (So I've been told!) ;)
What do I read?
Well, basically anything that I find interesting. I like all things magical, so you can always please me with some fantasy. I'm also a big history fan, so any historic novel is good. Books that contain a certain amount of humour are always a big hit with me! But in trying to define what you like to read, you always exclude what you don't like. (D'uh) And I try to exclude as little as possible. (Except chicklit/womens fiction ... I'm not a fan of that at all!)
Most books I have at home will never be registered. (So that is why my shelf doesn't really reflect my taste.) But on the other hand I will never keep a BC book, if I like it so much that I actually want to own it, I'll put it on my Christmas or Birthday list.
My permanent collection
The books that are listed in my permanent collection are books for in my classroom. I have a small classroom library with which I hope to get my pupils interested in books and reading. The aim is to create the automatic response to grab a book when they are finished with their work or test. And with many of them it seems to work! If you have any Dutch novels for teens (ages 12 to 16) I would be very interested in them. Easy Readers (beginner or elementary level) in English and French are also welcome!
My 'extra' bookshelf:
Less important information like which challenges I'm participating in, which books I've read in 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013, lists of caught and found books can be found on what I call my 'extra' bookshelf. In order to declutter this one. You can find it here.
Books read in 2017:
1. Red Rose, White Rose by Joanna Hickson
2. Toen niemand iets te doen had door Toon Tellegen
3. Septemberlichten door Carlos Ruiz Zafon
4. The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson
5. Carpe Jugulum by Terry Pratchett
6. Toevluchtsoord door Lydia Verbeeck
7. Spreeuwenjong door Lydia Verbeeck
8. Duivelsgesel door Lydia Verbeeck
9. Zeven minuten na middernacht door Patrick Ness
10. A Game of Ghosts by John Connolly
11. De magiërs door Lev Grossman
12. The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry
13. Een zoon van het circus door John Irving
14. Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Pearl, and Orfeo by J.R.R. Tolkien
15. The lady and the unicorn by Tracy Chevalier
16. En toen schiep God Kevin door Bart Debbaut
Books read in 2018:
1. Dreaming the Bull (Boudica 2) by Manda Scott
2. The Magdalene Scrolls by Barbara Wood
3. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
4. De wraak van Baudelaire door Bob Van Laerhoven
5. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
6. The Whisperers by John Connolly
7. Dreaming the Hound (Boudica 3) by Manda Scott
8. The Queen of Subtleties by Suzannah Dunn --> Reading now!
Rings/Rays I started: (If you want to join in, please feel free to PM me!)
- De Trein der Traagheid door Johan Daisne [Ring: Closed]
- De ordening door Kees van Beijnum [Ring: Closed]
- Psychics and Swords: The Amazing and Totally Plausible Adventures of Steve Walton by J.M. Naydol [Ray]
- Huppel en Sy Maats by W.O. Kuhne [Ray]