Reading In the Dark

by Seamus Deane | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by BookGroupMan of Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on 9/17/2003
Journal Entry 1 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 17, 2003
(9/11/06) This is both an unusual and a predictable book. It isn’t really about ‘Reading in the Dark’ (the title & subject of a small inconsequential chapter), nor is it a memoir, which I wrongly assumed. So I started out with some misconceptions.

But, as a fictional account* of growing up in Ireland it treads a lot of the familiar paths of Irish political, social & ‘hard knocks’ reality writing. Some of the storytelling is poignant and the way that the narrator (an unamed boy among many siblings and a complex extended Catholic family growing up in post-WWII Derry) pieces together his family history is interesting, if convoluted. However, I don’t really enjoy all the other Irish baggage, the (Celtic) antipathy towards the English and authority, the Catholic school/church culture, the ‘troubles’ and the painfully observed internecine feuds, the bitterness, dreariness and longevity of slights (real or percieved) & emnities. If this is the real nation wallowing in self-pity and anger – and I’m sure it isn’t – I’m surprised anyone ever stays on the island or has the energy to get on with their lives at all!

In the end we do find out what happened to Uncle Eddie, and the parts played by the narrator’s Mother, his maternal Grandfather, Crazy Joe, Sergeant Burke, Larry, McIlhenny etc. etc. But, you know what, I wasn’t really interested by then!

* I’ve since found out that a lot of it is autobiographical, including Deane’s family names! So maybe my criticism that it’s derivative is a bit harsh. In his own words, "Who's going to tell me where invention and memory separate? I can't tell the difference anymore."

Journal Entry 2 by BookGroupMan at Caffe Nero IP1 book-crossing zone in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, November 11, 2006

Released 12 yrs ago (11/11/2006 UTC) at Caffe Nero IP1 book-crossing zone in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom

Taking along to today's meet-up

Journal Entry 3 by winglelliewing from Trimley St Mary, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, November 11, 2006
Taken home from the meet-up. This was really just a trade Tony!

Journal Entry 4 by winglelliewing from Trimley St Mary, Suffolk United Kingdom on Sunday, March 30, 2008
I also assumed it was autobiographical and was unprepared for the way the book read. However its little chopped up chapters, really a string of anecdotes, proved perfect for reading in my coffee breaks at work :)

Not a bad book but not what I was expecting.

Journal Entry 5 by winglelliewing at Bookmooch in Trimley, Suffolk United Kingdom on Thursday, May 15, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (5/15/2008 UTC) at Bookmooch in Trimley, Suffolk United Kingdom

Journal Entry 6 by Vespa from Weymouth, Dorset United Kingdom on Monday, June 16, 2008
Got this via Bookmooch for my NSS Summer Solstice partner.

Journal Entry 7 by Tanamo from Hinckley, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Saturday, June 21, 2008
Received as part of my fabulous NSS Summer Solstice parcel. Thanks very much Vespa. You've done me proud.

Journal Entry 8 by Tanamo from Hinckley, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Monday, January 11, 2010
Finally finished this book which I've been reading rather in the way that I read short stories, i.e., interspersed with other things. I've always been fascinated by anything to do with Ireland and Irish people seem to crop up regularly in my life for good or ill. Like other readers I started out with misconceptions as I thought it might be a little too full of mawkish sentimentality. Fortunately, I was wrong.

Journal Entry 9 by Tanamo at Loughborough, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Saturday, January 30, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (1/30/2010 UTC) at Loughborough, Leicestershire United Kingdom

Taking to today's meet at Loughborough. If not taken at the meet up it will be wild released somewhere in Loughborough.

If you've found this book and you're new to this, welcome to bookcrossing! I hope you enjoy looking around the bookcrossing site. If you decide to join bookcrossing (it's free, so no reason not to if you're interested!) please feel free to list me (Tanamo) as the member who referred you. Even if you don't join I'd appreciate it if you'd leave a quick journal note so I can see where the book ended up - you can do it anonymously if you wish.

Journal Entry 10 by wingCross-patchwing from Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Saturday, January 30, 2010
Taken from the Loughborough meeting. Thank you Tanamo, I am intrigued.

Journal Entry 11 by wingCross-patchwing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, July 12, 2019
Being read.

Released 3 wks ago (7/28/2019 UTC) at Flutterbies9 Random BookBox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Adding to the Random BookBox.