In the Company of Cheerful Ladies (No 1 Ladies Detective Agency 6)

by Alexander McCall Smith | Mystery & Thrillers |
ISBN: 034911742x Global Overview for this book
Registered by bookowl1000 of Foshan, Guangdong China on 6/27/2011
Journal Entry 1 by bookowl1000 from Foshan, Guangdong China on Monday, June 27, 2011
Have you ever held a book and wondered where it had been before you came to own it, or where it will end up once you have finished with it? Well, welcome to the world of bookcrossing.

If you have accidentally stumbled across this book it would make someone very happy if you add a journal entry to tell those who had the book before you where you found it. You can remain anonymous if you want to, though if you create a screen name you will be able to get notification each time someone else journals this book.

When you have finished please release the book (and make a journal entry stating where you left it) to let it continue on its journey.

Following this book on its travels can be very fun.

Journal Entry 2 by bookowl1000 at Chepstow, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, June 27, 2011
"Precious Ramotswe, that cheerful Botswanan private investigator of 'traditional build', is well-known to millions across the world through the best-selling No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency series. Those who have been following her exploits in five previously published novels will soon be able to savour the next instalment, in which, as usual, circumstances are never as straightforward as they seem and events take a more than unexpected turn. Precious Ramotswe, is now married to Mr J.L.B. Matekoni, of Tlokweng Road Speedy Motors. The Agency is busy, but Mma Ramotswe cannot ignore the plea which is made to her by a woman who comes to her with a tale of particular misfortune. Unfortunately, her attempts to help are interrupted by a close encounter between her tiny white van and a bicycle, and by a spectacular disagreement between her assistant, Mma Makutsi, and one of the apprentices at the garage. This apprentice has found a fancy girlfriend who drives a large silver Mercedes-Benz. How can he be rescued from his folly? And as for Mma Makutsi, she has found a dancing class, and a man who may not be able to dance very well but who admires her greatly." www.fantasticfiction.co.uk

Journal Entry 3 by bookowl1000 at Chepstow, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, June 27, 2011
This book is replacing one that went missing

Journal Entry 4 by bookowl1000 at Chepstow, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, June 27, 2011
I have decided to share these books as a book spiral as I consider it a shame that such a delightful series just sits on my shelf unread by others.

1. The No.1 Ladies Detective Agency
11. The Double Comfort Safari Club
12. The Saturday Big Tent Party
13. The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection

They are all paperbacks of the same size: 12.5cm x 19.5cm x 1.5cm, 231g

I list my bookrings at The Bookring Directory!

Journal Entry 5 by bookowl1000 at Foshan, Guangdong China on Saturday, September 17, 2011
I list my bookrings at The Bookring Directory!

This book spiral is in the process of being organised and is open to new members.

1. When you receive the book please make a journal entry to let everyone know that it has arrived safely.

2. Read the book as quick as you can (within 4 weeks if possible). Please put it ahead of any other books, except other bookrings/rays that arrived first. If you need more time that is ok so long as you keep me informed, though a person who holds up a book without explanation may be left out for the remaining books.

3. Please make a journal entry to let everyone know what you thought of the book.

4. When you are nearing the end of the book, pm the next person on the list for their address. Try to avoid sending the book unless he/she has passed on the previous book. Ideally, no one person should be in possession of more than one book at a time as that is ow the previous ring became stalled.

5. Make a journal entry when you have posted the book to show that it is travelling.

Participants so far: The order may change as new members join.

So far it is looking like this:

Ring open to new members who can fit the mailing order
NMReader US (US only)
sunfi US (Itnl) - withdrawn from spiral
Jonniboi - UK (UK)
wal-89 UK (UK/EUR)
Appelsiini Finland (Itnl)
lunatum Finland (Itnl)
greenbadger UK (Itnl)

Journal Entry 6 by bookowl1000 at Ringwood, Hampshire United Kingdom on Sunday, October 16, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (10/1/2011 UTC) at Ringwood, Hampshire United Kingdom

Book was left behind in the UK when I went to China - my mum posted it for me.

Journal Entry 7 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Tuesday, November 15, 2011
It has arrived. I have a few books to read before it

Journal Entry 8 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Monday, January 02, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (12/29/2011 UTC) at Herndon, Virginia USA

I mailed before I left SD

Journal Entry 9 by Jonniboi at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, January 05, 2012
just got this through the post, I have a few bookrings/rays to read before hand, but I'll try and get through them as soon as possible.

NOTE: I still have "The Full Cupboard of life", I will be sending it soon, I'm currently low on money, but I promise I'll send it as soon as I can, I'm sorry if I'm holding the spiral up :)

Journal Entry 10 by Jonniboi at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, February 18, 2012
I really enjoyed this book, and it didn't take me long at all to read it, unlike the previous books. I think I liked this book the most due to it focusing more on the detective side of things, however I'm a bit miffed that the pumpkin placer was never found... Sometimes it's a good thing as it proves not all things in life can be explained, but at the end of the day they're detectives and should have been able to find out who it was right from the start. However it may follow up in the other books, or maybe it is explained and I totally didn't recognise it....

I also liked the fact that while I was reading I came across a quote I quoted for my university course "A life without stories would be no life at all. Stories bound us, did they not, one to another, the living to the dead, people to animals, people to the land." I used it during my personal statement, without realising it was in this actual book, all I knew was that Alexander McCall Smith had written it. But I was just reading along and it jumped out at me, and I got all excited :)

I like the new person Mr Polopetsi. It's an interesting name, and he's a great additional character. :) Loved this book and cannot wait for the next one, though I'm in no hurry to receive as I have far too many books to deal with at the moment :) Will send out eartly March, and if not, before March it's a promise :)

Journal Entry 11 by Jonniboi at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, March 15, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (3/15/2012 UTC) at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom

Sent this book off, it's now in the post! On it's way to wal-89 :)

Journal Entry 12 by wal-89 at Bradford, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, March 26, 2012
Got this book in the post a few days ago. Thanks for sending, I am going to start it today having just finished The Full Cupboard of Life.

Journal Entry 13 by wal-89 at Congleton, Cheshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 09, 2012
I really enjoy reading this series. It gives me a break from hard reading and I can pick up the story easily from the previous book in the series. This one was better than the last one, but I do miss the detective parts to the story, digging up the truth, which these seem to be lacking. Still looking forward to continuing with the series. Thanks so much for sharing bookowl1000, and thanks for sending Jonniboi.

Journal Entry 14 by wal-89 at by post, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (5/9/2012 UTC) at by post, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Posted at the post office today :)

Journal Entry 15 by Appelsiini at Lempäälä, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Tuesday, May 15, 2012
This one arrived today together with vol. 5. Thanks for sending! :)

Journal Entry 16 by Appelsiini at Lempäälä, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Sunday, June 17, 2012
I just came back from my little pre-holiday and this surely was good holiday readin! :) I think I liked this better than the previous one, this time Mma Ramotswe had again something interesting going on in her detective agency. And I also liked Mr Polopetsi, it's quite refreshing to have some new people around! :)

Journal Entry 17 by Appelsiini at Lempäälä, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (7/3/2012 UTC) at Lempäälä, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

On it's way!

Journal Entry 18 by lunatum at Savukoski, Lappi / Lappland Finland on Friday, July 06, 2012
The book arrived today, thanks. I have quite many rings/rays in my bookshelf, but I'm last one in almost every ring. I'll read couple of books before this one.

Journal Entry 19 by lunatum at Savukoski, Lappi / Lappland Finland on Sunday, July 29, 2012
I just love these books! I liked thus better than previous book. It was nice than new characters was introduced and I'm really looking forward to read the next book.

Journal Entry 20 by lunatum at Savukoski, Lappi / Lappland Finland on Sunday, July 29, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (7/29/2012 UTC) at Savukoski, Lappi / Lappland Finland

I sent the book forward.

Journal Entry 21 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 01, 2012
Received from lunatum for the book ring, thank you!

Once more an enjoyable read. Mma Ramotswe's collision with a cyclist leads to the employment of Mr Polopetsi, Mma Makutsi meets the shy Phuti Radiphuti, Charlie is rescued from an entanglement and we finally meet Note Mokoti. I was left thinking that this was half a book though with all the loose ends untied - who broke into the house on Zebra Drive, will they catch the Zimbabwean thief and what will happen about the shebeen? I hope these will be cleared up in the next episode.

Journal Entry 22 by winggreenbadgerwing at Kings Langley, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, August 30, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (8/30/2012 UTC) at Kings Langley, Hertfordshire United Kingdom

Posted back to bookowl1000 in China. Thank you very much for organising this ring!

Journal Entry 23 by bookowl1000 at Foshan, Guangdong China on Tuesday, September 18, 2012
Book is back in China...I am amazed at how quick the journey was.