The Weed that Strings the Hangman's Bag

by Alan Bradley | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by C_ of Krakow, Małopolskie Poland on 6/8/2011
Journal Entry 1 by C_ from Krakow, Małopolskie Poland on Wednesday, June 8, 2011
And another wonderful Flavia de Luce novel. I loved it just as much as the first one, maybe even a little better. I stumbled upon an Alan Bradley book in our little local library by accident and read "The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie" in German (so the book was called "Mord im Gurkenbeet"), now I can't wait to read the next part. I had some problems with the English descriptions of the chemical procedures and the substances but it was okay with a dictionary laying at hand :) As a whole the novel isn't very difficult to read (probably because it's a Young Readers book) for people whose mother tongue isn't English.
The story is told in a lovely and funny way, the atmosphere of the early 50s fits perfectly and the style gives the novel a little dark/mystic touch. I just LOVE Flavia. She's the kind of girl I would have dreamed of having as a friend when I was little :) Especially because I was really bad in my chemistry classes ;) It's so much fun to read of the highly intelligent girl's thoughts (not only about deadly poisons but also about the problems of having two bigger sisters and about solving murder cases) ;)

Journal Entry 2 by C_ at Oelsnitz (Vogtland), Sachsen Germany on Thursday, December 1, 2011

Released 12 yrs ago (12/1/2011 UTC) at Oelsnitz (Vogtland), Sachsen Germany

Flavia hat sich hinter dem 19. Türchen des Adventskalenders versteckt :) Ich hoffe, es gefällt dir!

Journal Entry 3 by entengrütze at Düsseldorf, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, December 19, 2011
oh, prima - von Flavia hab ich schon gehört...das hört sich witzig an, insofern bin ich echt gespannt. Vielen Dank!!!

update 19.03.2012: it took me a while to get into the story but after this, especially Flavia got me ;-) a nice setup of characters with Aunt Felicity, Flavia and her sisters, the vicar and his wife...it was a nice read

RES for poobah1

Journal Entry 4 by entengrütze at Düsseldorf, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, March 19, 2012

Released 12 yrs ago (3/19/2012 UTC) at Düsseldorf, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

so finally the book is travelling to Poobah1 who has it on her wishlist as a late birthday gift

Journal Entry 5 by Poobah1 at Lake Elmo, Minnesota USA on Sunday, March 25, 2012
What a lovely surprise! I had truly forgotten all about your generous offer, entengrutze. I thank you so much for sending it all the way over to the middle of the US. I'll read it and pass it along to another BookCrosser to continue its travels.

Cheers,