Gypsy Boy

by Mikey Walsh | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by inkognitoh of London, Greater London United Kingdom on 6/6/2011
Journal Entry 1 by inkognitoh from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, June 06, 2011
I ordered this book online the day after hearing the author interviewed on the Choices programme on BBC Radio 4. I don't recall ever having heard such honest and heartfelt and unapolagetic emotion from a man before. I have always been fascinated with Gypsies and their way of life/culture so I hope to learn a little more from this man's story.

Journal Entry 2 by inkognitoh at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, June 11, 2011
It didn't take me long to read this harrowing tale of survival. I was shocked at just exactly how violent the life of a young gypsy man could be and how unrewarding that of a gypsy girl might end up. It's safe to say I had romanticised the whole culture a lot more than I'd thought.

It didn't give me the spotlight on gypsy culture that I was looking for but it did give me an insight into one gay mans struggle to carve out a life for himself amid violence, sexual abuse and a culture so thoroughly opposed to homosexuality that they'd rather him dead than gay. There were some happy moments and Mikey himself is a triumph but it's not an easy read.

Journal Entry 3 by inkognitoh at Latitude Music Festival in Southwold, Suffolk United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (7/19/2011 UTC) at Latitude Music Festival in Southwold, Suffolk United Kingdom

Left outside the poetry tent on the first evening. I hope whoever finds the book enjoyed their festival and likes the story.