The Scent of Rain and Lightning: A Novel

by Nancy Pickard | Audiobooks |
Registered by indygo88 of Lafayette, Indiana USA on 6/5/2011
Journal Entry 1 by indygo88 from Lafayette, Indiana USA on Sunday, June 5, 2011
"One beautiful summer afternoon, Jody Linder receives shocking news: The man convicted of murdering her father is being released from prison and returning to the small town of Rose, Kansas. It has been twenty-three years since that stormy night when her father was shot and killed and her mother disappeared, presumed dead. Neither the protective embrace of Jody’s three uncles nor the safe haven of her grandparents’ ranch could erase the pain caused by Billy Crosby on that catastrophic night.

Now Billy Crosby is free, thanks to the efforts of his son, Collin, a lawyer who has spent most of his life trying to prove his father’s innocence. Despite their long history of carefully avoiding each other in such an insular community, Jody and Collin find that they share an exclusive sense of loss.

As Jody revisits old wounds, startling truths emerge about her family’s tragic past. But even through struggle and hardship, she still dares to hope for a better future—and maybe even love."

Received through PaperBackSwap.com (Unabridged on 8 CD's; read by Tavia Gilbert)

Journal Entry 2 by indygo88 at Lafayette, Indiana USA on Friday, November 9, 2012
My first read by Nancy Pickard, this was an enjoyable mystery/fiction that kept me guessing right up until the end. Though I did find portions somewhat unbelievable & a little bit farfetched (mostly near the end), this was overall a well-written and engrossing novel. I'm ready to go find myself a copy of The Virgin of Small Plains now!

Journal Entry 3 by indygo88 at Lafayette, Indiana USA on Friday, October 23, 2015
Off to booklady331 via audio VBB. Enjoy! :)

Journal Entry 4 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Thursday, October 29, 2015
The book arrived yesterday. Thank you for sharing it with me.

Journal Entry 5 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Thursday, February 25, 2016
Going to start listening to this book later today.

Journal Entry 6 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Friday, February 26, 2016

The Scent of Rain and Lightning by Nancy Pickard was one of the best novels I've read in a long time. The first couple of pages grabbed me--there was no reading half the book before I decided I liked it. Pickard writes in an easy style about people and life in Kansas, but it could be any rural/ranching setting. The characters were described so perfectly that I felt like I grew up with them. This is a murder mystery, but it's definitely not your typical who-done-it. The plot unfolds gently--no harsh, sharp twists and turns. It's also a love story and a story of a close-knit family. It has everything but nothing is contrived; it's all very natural and believable. I think the best way to describe the book is that it's a gentle, easy story about some ungentle events. I can understand why Pickard has received so many awards. This book is a MUST READ. I loved this book.

Journal Entry 7 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Saturday, February 27, 2016

Released 5 yrs ago (2/27/2016 UTC) at Cape Coral, Florida USA

KTM RABCK to a friend at work. We often enjoy the same books.

Back from my friend. Reserved for my CD audio VBB

Journal Entry 8 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Sunday, May 15, 2016

Released 5 yrs ago (5/15/2016 UTC) at Cape Coral, Florida USA

Enjoy! KTM RABCK for my CD VBB to azuki to enjoy

Journal Entry 9 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Wednesday, May 25, 2016
Arrived. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 10 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Saturday, December 10, 2016
A very engaging story from the first page till the very end. While there is murder involved, it's definitely not your standard crime mystery. The story is great because it's so focused on the human side of the characters. You really get to know them, and feel for them, whether you like them or not. Some of the plots are a little unlikely - like, really, they were so worried about Jody and made her move back to the ranch, then sent her out alone, knowing that there was a murderer with gun on the loose, hellbent on revenge on them? And the murderer, so meticulous in every way, would have forgotten about that crucial evidence? Also, the mystery was solved and wrapped up too quickly, as if the author runs out of pages. However, as I did not take this as a crime fiction, it didn't detract too much from the enjoyment.

Thanks for sharing this lovely book. I'll set this aside to send to Moody-Blue, after I finished listening to all the books she requested on the vbb.

Journal Entry 11 by Moody-Blue at Meers, Oklahoma USA on Friday, February 10, 2017
Looks good. Thanks!

Journal Entry 12 by Moody-Blue at Meers, Oklahoma USA on Thursday, June 1, 2017
Well, I either missed something early or just wasn't in the mood because this was a total snooze-fest for me. I didn't connect with the plot, didn't realize that there were multiple timelines (which is a hazard of audiobooks), and can't remember the name of a single character even though I just finished listening to it.

Still, I would probably recommend it to someone who likes murder mysteries and wants to try one set in a rural ranch/farming area.

Journal Entry 13 by Moody-Blue at Little Free Library - La Plaza Ct in Montrose, Colorado USA on Friday, September 4, 2020

Released 9 mos ago (9/3/2020 UTC) at Little Free Library - La Plaza Ct in Montrose, Colorado USA

This audiobook was an original inhabitant of my NEW Little Free Library, which was a birthday gift from my mother. Thanks for stopping by. I hope you enjoy your books. Please come again!