A Widow For One Year

by IRVING | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 0676971946 Global Overview for this book
Registered by Ri of Cincinnati, Ohio USA on 9/13/2003
Journal Entry 1 by Ri from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Saturday, September 13, 2003
I picked this up at a church book sale. Looked interesting, so I've added it to the TBR pile.

This one is reserved for piper1.

Journal Entry 2 by piper1 from Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA on Friday, December 03, 2004
Just received this in the mail from Ri as part of a trade - THANK YOU!!! Ever since I read A Prayer for Owen Meany, I've been a fan of John Irving's. I'm looking forward to read this book.

Thanks again, Ri. Contact me for a trade anytime.

Journal Entry 3 by piper1 from Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA on Thursday, March 02, 2006
Sorry I took so long to read this book, the 537 pages were daunting. But, I finally finished it. It is NOT as good as John Irving's "A Prayer for Owen Meany". But, to be fair, how could anything measure up to that masterpiece?

This was a very long book about the Cole family and the tradgies they suffered. There are many other characters in the book that touch the Cole's lives and Irving gives them full lives too. I like the author's style in which almost every chapter gives you a new insight to the character or a glimpse into another part of their lives.

The book is divided into 3 sections, 1958, 1990 & 1995. The main character is Ruth Cole, the daughter. The reader sees most of her life from 4yrs old to middle age.

It's an interesting read. But I'm glad I read Owen Meany first, because Widow for One Year wouldn't entice me to read more of John Irving.

Thanks, Ri for the book trade, sorry I took so long to read it.

Available for trade or RABCK

Journal Entry 4 by piper1 at Alverno College (details in notes) in Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA on Friday, April 16, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (4/19/2010 UTC) at Alverno College (details in notes) in Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Released into the wild at Alverno's library. Enjoy