A Wrinkle in Time

by Madeleine L'Engle | Children's Books |
Registered by Skylerdragon of Parkville, Missouri USA on 9/13/2003
Journal Entry 1 by Skylerdragon from Parkville, Missouri USA on Saturday, September 13, 2003
A Wrinkle In Time is one of those stories that never leave the reader. The characters, plot, setting, conflict and even theme of the story are penetrating and unforgettable. I love and adore Meg. She represents everything I want to be, yet somehow reflects every girl I have ever met in some way. She is extraordinary. Her stuborn, awkward tantrums, and her impatience and curiosity are some of her most subtle charms.
Charles Wallace is whimsical and brilliant. He is the perfect antithesis of Meg and actually helps to highlight Meg's charms, flaws, and overall character. Mrs. Whatsit, Mrs Who, and Mrs Which are great and probably contribute the comic relief in this fascinating tale of good versus evil. And Calvin. I like Calvin a lot too because of how happy he makes Meg. He allows Meg to see a side of herself that she isnt aware of without him.
L'Engle did an incridble job in all aspects of this story. The plot is exciting from begining to end, the settings are creative and magical throughout, and the overall mood of the story is incredible. I really think I will never forget this story. I am most fascinated however with her ability to weve the theme of good versus evil throughout the book. The story even echoes the salvation story and casts the reader into a struggle against thier own personal sins. I loved how subtly yet simply L'Engle did this.
My students for the most part really enjoyed this story! I'd like to try discussion groups with the story next year. I think this story opens and entire can of opportunity for the enthusiastic Comm Arts teacher. My students enjoyed it and I think that even the nonreaders liked the fun voices I used when we read it together.

I have to admit this is really one of the best books I have ever read in my life. I keep registering and releasing it because it really is an incredible story. Every child should read this book. I really should read the rest of the series too. Fantastic stuff. Listed below are my other journal entries:

here, and
here.

Journal Entry 2 by LillyAnnaNight from Liberty, Missouri USA on Monday, June 20, 2005
I'll read it soon! When I was little I loved this book. I hope it's as good now that I'm older.