Suite Francaise

by Irene Nemirovsky | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by tashclayton of Camden, Greater London United Kingdom on 5/15/2011
Journal Entry 1 by tashclayton from Camden, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, May 15, 2011
Irene Nemirovsky was a Jew living in occupied France (after fleeing the Russian revolution as a child) when she decided to write a novel based on her experiences. Like Anne Frank, she too perished in Auschwitz. Unlike Anne Frank, it took sixty five years for the finished parts of her novel to be published. This copy also includes letters she wrote and notes she made on the next three parts for the novel which were never completed.

I bought this book at an open gardens in north yorkshire for the grand total of 50p!

.....

This is an amazingly fresh account of what life was like in Germal occupied France. I started it once and didn't get very far, but recently started it again and couldn't put it down. Irene describes a diverse group of characters who's lives sometimes entwine, and sometimes run separately. The different lives of the artistocrats, middle classes, the poor farmers, villages and urbanites all beautifully described.

The only sad point is that Irene never had the chance to finish the final book or books so we miss the opportunity to read the end of the stories. But then perhaps that's partly what brings home the senselessness of WW2.

Journal Entry 2 by wingokarihwing at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, April 23, 2012
Thank you so much tashclayton! The book arrived safely...

Journal Entry 3 by wingokarihwing at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, June 24, 2017
This book has been sitting on my bookshelf for the past 5 years and I finally got around to starting it. I got as far as p160 and I've had to stop... I can't read any more... I really tried but I struggled to get into this book.

I'm sure there'll be others that would enjoy this more than me so I will release this book soon.

Journal Entry 4 by wingokarihwing at Acton Town Station in Acton, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, July 08, 2017

Released 3 yrs ago (7/8/2017 UTC) at Acton Town Station in Acton, Greater London United Kingdom

Thank you for picking up this book! Please make a journal entry so that the book’s journey can be tracked (you can make a journal entry anonymously if you don't want to join). I hope that you enjoy the book and the Bookcrossing experience!

Left on the book exchange shelf.