Masterpiece Comics

by R. Sikoryak | Graphic Novels |
Registered by erinacea of Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany on 5/14/2011
Journal Entry 1 by erinacea from Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany on Saturday, May 14, 2011
A present of my mother's to last year's birthday.

In this book, Sikoryak collects short comic format summaries of a sizable number of classic novels, with different comic styles for each story that is derived from similarly classic comics (though I hardly recognize any of them) and, as becomes clear on reading the (fake?) "letter to the editor" section, was in all cases specifically chosen via the criteria of comic and novel covering comparable topics. However, I've got to admit that I didn't understand many of the reasons, probably for the simple reason of not knowing the comic in question. In none of these explanations, does Sikoryak ever name either the original novel (they all get titles punning on the comic) or the original comic - instead, s/he only references them via the authors.

While I really like the idea, not only of presenting classics as comics, but also of doing so in a way that brings out their similarities, I just couldn't warm to the drawing style. The styles are markedly different, but all comics lacked a certain spirit - for example, I don't think the superman comics were ever this bland. Partly because of this, but also due to the concentration on the novels' key scenes, none of the comics dealing with novels that I didn't know yet inspired in me the wish to read the original one day. Quite the opposite, actually.
The example that springs to mind as particularly atrocious was "The Crypt of Brontë" (Wuthering Heights), not that that had ever been on my reading list, but I rather suspect that now it never will make it.

The comic I liked best, by far, was "Mephistofield", retelling Mephistopheles by means of the Garfield protagonists. (The explanation for this pairing was particularly telling:
"Jon Faustus is always bossing Mephistofield around, and yet Meph is really in control the whole time. What's going on here? - Apparently you've never had a cat.")

I also consider the "Dorian Gray" adaption rather well done, though the style wasn't really my cup of tea, either.

Journal Entry 2 by erinacea at Frankfurter Allee in Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany on Saturday, May 14, 2011

Released 9 yrs ago (5/14/2011 UTC) at Frankfurter Allee in Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany

On one of these stone benches, between Proskauer and Petersburger Straße (rightside, in this direction, and before the book-selling "Cafe Tasso".

Released on the occasion of the German version of the Free Comic Day 2011.

CONGRATULATIONS!

You've found a wandering book! Please leave a short (or not so short ;) ) journal entry, so I know that the book's well and safe in your hands. For example, you could write where you found it, how you like it, or what you are planning to do with it.

Thanks a lot!
erinacea

PS: While I enjoy writing these texts in English, there's no obligation for you to do the same. If you like, you could make an entry in German, or whatever your mothertongue may be.
(Einträge auf deutsch sind auch erlaubt. ;) )

Herzlich willkommen bei Bookcrossing!

Hier findest Du eine internationale Gemeinschaft von Buchliebhabern, in der Du (nicht nur) über Bücher diskutieren sowie Bücher tauschen und - natürlich - freilassen kannst.

Bitte hinterlasse einen kurzen (gern auch längeren ;) ) Eintrag, damit ich weiß, dass es diesem Buch gut geht. Du könntest z.B. schreiben, wo Du es gefunden hast, wie es Dir gefällt oder was Du damit vorhast.

Vielen Dank!
erinacea

Fürs erste hier ein paar interessante Links:
Häufig gestellte Fragen und ihre Antworten
Deutschsprachiges Diskussionsforum
Wo gibt es Bookcrossing-Bücher?