Made in the U.S.A.

by Billie Letts | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 044652901x Global Overview for this book
Registered by Karenlea of Glendale, California USA on 5/10/2011
Journal Entry 1 by Karenlea from Glendale, California USA on Tuesday, May 10, 2011
I have read all of Billie Letts' novels and was excited to find a copy of her latest, "Made In The U.S.A." on sales at Barnes and Noble. If it hadn't been such a quick read, I probably would not have bothered. The story follows eleven year old Fate and his fifteen year old sister, Lutie, as they try to make a life for themselves and escape fostercare in the aftermath of their parent's death.

The story has way too many twists and turns. The plot moves forward and an unrealistic, too quick pace. The part of the story that takes place in Vegas, reads like an after school special. The kids seem to have either terrible things happen to them or great strokes of luck, that just come across as silly. Many of the plot points wrap up in such an easy way that it just doesn't ring true. The story feels trite and dishonest. However, I kept reading it, because much of the first half was salacious and kind of entertaining. I also love anything that has to do with a circus!