Practical Jean

by Trevor Cole | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingPooker3wing of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 5/7/2011
Journal Entry 1 by wingPooker3wing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Saturday, May 07, 2011
I received this book for Christmas and read it a couple of months ago. I have a plan for it, so am registering it now and will do a little review in a bit.

Journal Entry 2 by wingPooker3wing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Tuesday, June 07, 2011
I have to say I was a little unsettled when I read Trevor Cole's opening sentences to this book:

" You might think this is a rather horrible and depraved sort of story. But that's because you're a nice person."

Oh, oh. I've already figured out I am NOT a nice person. I've read both of Trevor Cole's previous novels and really, the people in those books are not so nice either. I recognize not nice. Takes one to know one as they say. In fact, I remember specifically thinking as I read Norman Bray in the Performance of his Life, what a pompous self-centred ass! Norman, not the author. Worse, by the time I'd finished reading the novel, it had dawned on me that I WAS Norman Bray. So it was, as I say, a little discomforting as I read Practical Jean, wondering what nasty side of my character Trevor Cole was going to bring to light now.

I totally related to Jean. Having just been primary care giver so to speak for my partner's live-in elderly parent I could quite see Jean's point, kindness really, in wanting to spare her friends that whole aging and dying thing and the whole practicality of going out on high note, while at least some of the bloom was on the rose.

Now how Jean goes about helping her friends did seem to me to be a tad rash. Not the end result per se, but the speed and sometimes lack of due caution as time went on was worrisome. On the other hand, her friends would not have wanted her to put herself out, so while Jean does try to plan things out in advance, she does have to be clever and rely on some quick thinking at times. And, at least at first, she gets little recognition or thanks for all her hard work, much like the rest of her life really. Poor Jean.

Despite my saying poor Jean, the book is quite funny in its own wicked way. Indeed, it won the Leacock Medal this year. So read this book. You won't be sorry you did.

Journal Entry 3 by wingPooker3wing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (6/7/2011 UTC) at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

I'm sending Jean off on another frolic of her own. Off to Fernie B.C. she goes. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by AngieAbdou at Fernie, British Columbia Canada on Friday, June 10, 2011
This book, to my great surprise and delight, arrived in the mail yesterday (hard cover no less!). I've become friends with Trevor Cole on twitter and have heard great things about his (Leacock-Medal winning) new novel. I'm excited to read it!

Journal Entry 5 by AngieAbdou at Art Station in Fernie, British Columbia Canada on Thursday, July 21, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (7/21/2011 UTC) at Art Station in Fernie, British Columbia Canada

Crazy book (in the good way) -- too much shocking fun to hoard on my bookshelf ... I'm going to release it this weekend in hopes one of the aspiring writers at this year's Fernie Writers' Conference finds it.

Journal Entry 6 by AngieAbdou at Fernie, British Columbia Canada on Thursday, July 21, 2011
This book is fun, in a dark and shocking and some times outrageous way. I kept thinking Trevor Cole had written himself into the corner (what could he possibly do next?) but then he'd top himself every time. Wicked fun. I'm glad to see Practical Jean win the Leacock award for humour this year. Congrats, Trevor! Well deserved.