A Time for Trolls : Fairy Tales from Norway

Registered by ixion of Alexandria, Virginia USA on 5/1/2011
Journal Entry 1 by ixion from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Sunday, May 01, 2011
Bought at the Duncan library book sale for release.

Journal Entry 2 by ixion at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Wednesday, July 09, 2014
I have been reading this book off and on again for about two years. While it isn't a tiny book, I managed to misplace it twice, find it, and then lose it again. I recently found it a third time when I moved. I took it on the metro and finally polished it off.

In the past I have read fairy tales and myths from Egypt, Greece, Rome and medieval Europe (mainly German and English). This is the first time I've read anything centered in Norway or scandanavia and it was interesting to peek into their culture.

Much as western Europeaners were fascinated by princesses in towers and dragons and knights, the Norweigan fairy tales had strong themes throughout. They were concentrated on peasant farmers looking to earn glory or in some cases just to get by. In a climate as cold as Norway, finding a new farm or herd to tend can be hitting the jackpot.

Many of the tales had Trolls as the villain. What was surprising is that they aren't the under the bridge trolls but rather multi-headed demons and giants. Many lived with their Troll mothers in large huts or caves. Many stories references 'kings' but more like local land vassals who could grant land or wealth or both. Many enchantments were broken by tearing the heads off of animals - to find the animals were in fact people who had been cursed.

Overall I enjoyed the book and the stories were quick reads. B. I'll bring it by the next BC in DC meeting - if it doesn't go then I will wild release.

Journal Entry 3 by ixion at Starbucks (Frontier Drive) in Springfield, Virginia USA on Friday, September 19, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (9/20/2014 UTC) at Starbucks (Frontier Drive) in Springfield, Virginia USA

Hi! You've picked up a special book. This book is registered at www.bookcrossing.com. Visit my web site and see who has read me and all the interesting places I've been. Leave a message for those who follow and pick up this book after you.

Journal Entry 4 by KateKintail at Burke, Virginia USA on Sunday, September 21, 2014
Picked this up at the BookCrossing meeting yesterday. I can't resist a strange fairy tale from another country. Some of these have amazing names.

Journal Entry 5 by KateKintail at Burke, Virginia USA on Saturday, January 07, 2017
I like reading fairy tales from other countries, which is why I picked this up at a BookCrossing meeting ages ago. It was an interesting mix of stories, though only a few of them actually had trolls in them. Most of the stories involved peasants or farmers, some of whom rise up to great wealth or power because of noble acts, but some of whom just use their cleverness to not die. I mean, some of them are facing trolls, after all!

Like most collections, there were some stories I enjoyed more than others. My favorite of the stories was "The Two Stepsisters" where two sisters set out on journeys. One is kind to those she meets along the way (milking the cow that begs her to do so, feeding hungry birds, etc.) and so she's able to escape a witch. The other sister... not so much and ends up having toads pouring out of her mouth. Let that be a lesson to you! "Askelad and the Silver Ducks" was an interesting one as well. Askelad steals a lot from a troll and each time the troll is angry and asks if he'll be back. Askelad says he might. The troll, who is pretty incompetent, gets angry and eats him all up. Except, as it turns out, he hasn't eaten Askelad at all but his own daughter. Don't you hate when that happens?

I truly enjoyed this glimpse at a culture and values and important messages as they're conveyed through folk/fairy tales.

Journal Entry 6 by KateKintail at Tysons Corner, Virginia USA on Saturday, March 25, 2017

Released 3 yrs ago (3/25/2017 UTC) at Tysons Corner, Virginia USA

Taking to the BCinDC meetup!

Journal Entry 7 by wingmelydiawing at Centreville, Virginia USA on Tuesday, April 11, 2017
Given to me to take to the 2017 BookCrossing Convention in Oslo, Norway. I read the title to my husband and he replied, "So it's about the internet?"

Released 3 yrs ago (4/21/2017 UTC) at Bookcrossing Convention Oslo 2017 in St. Hanshaugen bydel, Oslo fylke Norway

Taking to the convention!
Welcome to BookCrossing!

Journal Entry 9 by marsala at Oslo Sentrum, Oslo fylke Norway on Sunday, April 23, 2017
I guess this should be part of my Norwegian integration..

Love reading fairytales, so hopefully I will enjoy this book.

Released 3 yrs ago (6/26/2017 UTC) at Oslo Visitor Centre, Østbanehallen in Oslo Sentrum, Oslo fylke Norway

Released at the bookshelves in the Visit Oslo centre at Oslo Sentral