Outlaw Lover (Black Lace)

by Saskia Hope | Women's Fiction |
Registered by okyrhoe of Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on 4/27/2011
Journal Entry 1 by okyrhoe from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Wednesday, April 27, 2011
A Black Lace edition (erotica by women authors).

The cover is a bit tattered, it's a copy I found used (but not abused) @ Bookmooch.com

From the back cover:
"The pirates live by rules that Fee Cambridge has never heard of.
Her home is an upper level, deluxe pleasuredome of technologically advanced comfort. Theirs is the harsh outer reaches of the decaying city, where lawlessness abounds in a sexual underworld. Bored with her predictable husband and pampered lifestyle, Fee is determined to sample life and lust on the wild side of town. Needy for the rugged sexuality of urban outlaws, she leads a double life of piracy and privilege. Will her taste for fevered adventure and shady activities plunge her too deeply into danger?"

Journal Entry 2 by okyrhoe at Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Wednesday, April 27, 2011
Contemporary erotica blending sci-fi with run-of-the-Mills&Boons pirate romance.

The books starts off fresh and contemporary, providing a variety of experiences as the heroine gradually develops a pansexual appetite, despite occasional regressions into sterotypes of the pulp romance genre.

If you can forgive the instances where Fee's femininity overrides credibility (she daringly breaks the law and several taboos, yet becomes emotional putty in the hands of a dominant male) the story manages to successfully blend the futuristic with the erotic.

Personally I would have preferred a more prominent sci-fi feel to the narrative; all it needed was a little linguistic creativity with made-up jargon to describe both the futuristic setting and the erotic scenes. Still, there are some nice touches where the characters comment on the personal and social. Even in a technological utopia, it is the primal instinct that fuels the human psyche.

Edit May 18, 2011:
One of my pet peeves is that mass paperback fiction is sometimes poorly proofread prior to publication, and I tend to notice typos/errors, probably more so when it's erotica.

Here's what the Black Lace Submission Guidelines say:

"Contrary to popular belief, it is not the editor’s primary function to correct mistakes of English. The editor is there to give advice on plot, characterisation, house style, series continuity, etc. Mistakes of spelling, grammar and punctuation are irritating, time-consuming, and therefore expensive to correct. They should, as far as possible, be the responsibility of the author. In any case, if a writer is unable to use English correctly, it is unlikely that she will have mastered the more refined techniques of writing."

I disagree with the above. I counted at least 7 typos / mispellings in this edition.

Journal Entry 3 by okyrhoe at Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Friday, April 29, 2011
BOOK RAY

Please PM if you are interested, and include
a) Your location
b) Where you are willing to post the book after you read it
(International, or only within N. America / Asia / Australia / Europe, etc.)

BookRay participants:
- penelopewanders
- Bloedengel
- Ossiefry
- laevina (in USA, posts intl. if needed) <-- book is here

~ ~ ~ ~ > Please make a journal entry when you receive the book.
~ ~ ~ ~ > Please read and pass on the book within two months of receipt. If you can't do this for any reason, please PM me to let me know.
~ ~ ~ ~ > When you are done reading, contact the next reader via PM for their address. Also make another journal entry (or edit your first one) to share your comments about the book.
Thanks everyone! I hope you enjoy this.

( forum post )

Journal Entry 4 by okyrhoe at bookray, By Post -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (5/18/2011 UTC) at bookray, By Post -- Controlled Releases

The bookray has started! On its way by post to penelopewanders. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 5 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Sunday, May 22, 2011
A few rings here at the same time, so this may have to enjoy the scenery here in the Alps for a bit until its turn comes around. Looks like fun - thanks for sending!

Journal Entry 6 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Sunday, June 26, 2011
Here as a ray. Not the best black lace I've ever read - maybe I'm growing out of them? Lots of encounters but no real empathy for any of the characters who all seem fairly one-dimensional and unpleasant. Janine is perhaps the only exception, at a pinch.

Journal Entry 7 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (6/28/2011 UTC) at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland

Headed to Belgium along with another ring... Enjoy! And thanks for making this available!

Journal Entry 8 by bloedengel at Turnhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Thursday, July 07, 2011
There's one ring that arrived before this one, but I'm really in the mood for erotic / romantic / pulpliterature, so I 'm thinking of delaying the other one and reading this first.
:-)
I'm a fast reader anyway so they'd probably get out of my house timely the both of them.

Thank you for sharing, already !

Journal Entry 9 by bloedengel at Turnhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Monday, July 25, 2011
I really liked the plot. I did get a bit 'bored' in the end, with all the erotica and all, but I guess that is the genre of the book :) It's a nice in-between-read, but I'm not digging up the rest of the series to read them all one right after the other, of to ossie now !

Journal Entry 10 by Ossiefry at Aljezur, Faro Portugal on Thursday, July 28, 2011
Book arrived safly!
Bloedengel thanks for the chocolate, I realy neaded it this morning! ;)

Journal Entry 11 by Ossiefry at Aljezur, Faro Portugal on Wednesday, August 03, 2011
I'm not really sure what to make of this book, overall I enjoyed it, but I found Fee a bit annoying. It's hard to imagine someone getting away with all that and never being caught. ;)

Sending a Pm to the next reader.

Journal Entry 12 by Ossiefry at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (8/3/2011 UTC) at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

On it's way to laevina. Enjoy. :)

Journal Entry 13 by laevina at Denver, Colorado USA on Thursday, August 25, 2011
I received the book today ~ thanks Ossiefry for sending it!

Journal Entry 14 by laevina at Denver, Colorado USA on Tuesday, March 06, 2012
Finally read this erotic book. The adventures of Fee started out pretty good for an sci-fi in the future romance, of sorts. She goes from one adventure to another - though she becomes really passive when with men.

A fun read - thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 15 by laevina at Denver, Colorado USA on Monday, October 29, 2012
Reserved for the Erotica/Steamy Bookbox

Journal Entry 16 by laevina at Denver, Colorado USA on Saturday, September 21, 2013
This book is ready for a new home!

Journal Entry 17 by laevina at Lighthouse Writers in Denver, Colorado USA on Thursday, September 24, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (9/25/2015 UTC) at Lighthouse Writers in Denver, Colorado USA

off into the wild . . .