Dragon's Egg

by Robert L. Forward | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
ISBN: 9780450051975 Global Overview for this book
Registered by Lukerik of Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on 4/25/2011
Journal Entry 1 by Lukerik from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Monday, April 25, 2011
Grahame L Tate, one of life's great characters, died recently. He had a lot of stuff and his books were going to be thrown out. His family gave them to me when I told them about BookCrossing and I now have his Library here in my house. If you find this book I hope you enjoy it and that it finds a new home.

Journal Entry 2 by Lukerik at Heaton, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Saturday, October 22, 2011
If you are obsessed with plot and character then you need to read this novel. It has neither and still works. In concept it is what is technically termed, I believe, 'far-out'.

It's quietly and calmly written which works well with the technological aspects, though if I'm honest, I don't understand the science and in place of 'magnetic monopoles' or whatever I just read 'flux capacitor' and 'inverted tachion field'.

The lack of characterisation is caused by the sheer amount of time that passes. A cheela can barely come on stage before they're dead and during the latter sections so little time passes for the humans that you only see them for a few seconds at a time. The cheela are wonderfully conceived and you really get a sense of how physically weird they are. Love the way that inside they're just like us and how the development of their civilisation mirrors and comments on our own.

Yes, a thoroughly enjoyable novel. I love the bit with the black holes at the end. It's complete in itself but there's also a sequel called Starquake.

It anyone's interested there's a very loose Star Trek Voyager adaptation called The Egg.

Journal Entry 3 by Lukerik at Canongate Books OBCZ in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Released 9 yrs ago (11/21/2011 UTC) at Canongate Books OBCZ in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

I left this in in the bookcase along with the sequel: http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/10204670/

Journal Entry 4 by wingwildboarhunterwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, August 03, 2012
An old book...I met it at the Canongate Books OBCZ. Good luck! :-)

Journal Entry 5 by Apocalypticpeer at Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, May 13, 2013
Found at the Cannongate In Edinburgh. I love a good dragon and sci-if book so going to get stuck in!

Journal Entry 6 by Apocalypticpeer at Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, May 20, 2013
Well the book was not in fact about dragons! However, the sci if element made it up. Loved the ideas in this book although sometimes felt an astrology degree would have been helpful! Didn't put the book down and had a fantastic ending. I know there is a sequal but it didn't need one in my estimation. Well recommended to scifi fans.

Journal Entry 7 by Apocalypticpeer at Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Released 8 yrs ago (5/21/2013 UTC) at Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom

Sent to Oakland to eastbaybookmisr as was on his wishlist. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 8 by eastbaybookmisr at Oakland, California USA on Wednesday, May 29, 2013
"Caught" this in the mail today as an international Wishlist RABCK! Thank you!

1988 New English Library paperback of the 1980 tale. This was on my list of best modern sf debuts to read.

Edit May 15, 2021: This was pretty good, about short-lived critters on a neutron star, which seems a bit impossible. I enjoyed the supplement stuff at the end, complete with footnote references from sources published years in the future from now. Very clever. I did largely skim this for time, though. I currently have this ranked at #686 on my ranked list of best-read books lately.

Released 1 mo ago (5/16/2021 UTC) at Little Free Library at 4421 Worden Way in Oakland, California USA

... in the box.

Please look her up on Google, DuckDuckGo, and YouTube. You can also follow her on Facebook and Instagram, among other platforms.