The Castle of Crossed Destinies (Picador Books)

by Italo Calvino | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 033025586X Global Overview for this book
Registered by Danielle23 of Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on 4/23/2011
Journal Entry 1 by Danielle23 from Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Saturday, April 23, 2011
The Castle of Crossed Destinies (Italian: Il castello dei destini incrociati) is a 1973 novel by Italo Calvino that details a meeting among travelers (with homage to Geoffrey Chaucer) who are inexplicably unable to speak after traveling through a forest. The characters in the novel recount their tales via Tarot cards, which are reconstructed by the narrator. The novel is in two parts, each using a different style Tarot deck. The first part was published alone in 1969 as Tarocchi: Il mazzo visconteo di Bergamo e New York (Tarots: The Visconti Pack in Bergamo and New York). The second part, with the header "The Tavern of Crossed Destinies", features the Tarot of Marseilles.

The novel is an exploration of how meaning is created, whether that be written via words (by the author, via the book, since the characters in the book cannot speak to each other) or by images (the tarot cards — considered prophetic to some and are themselves open to many symbolic interpretations). It is, as often in Calvino's works, multi-layered, and several levels of interpretations and readings are possible, based on the relationships between author-narrator-characters-reader.

Journal Entry 2 by Danielle23 at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Saturday, April 23, 2011
Wow, this was such an interesting book which explored a writing style I had never seen before. Each page is as interesting as the one before and each illustration adds so much detail. This book definately uses visual aids as a great resource and had me gripped from page one.

I'm now going to send this book on a bookring as it is on the 1001 list and a great addition.

bookowl1000 (UK) EU posting
Nakipa (Portugal) Intl posting
marko167 (Spain) Intl posting
okyrhoe (Greece) Intl posting
LittleDacshund (Bulgaria) EU posting
salvami (Ireland) EU posting (Near the end)
LilyKlip (Germany) Intl posting

Simson-Shilitoe (GER) Intl posting (Near the end)
cat207 (Australia) Intl posting

Back to me

Journal Entry 3 by Danielle23 at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Friday, April 29, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (4/30/2011 UTC) at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom

Off to bookowl1000 to start the Bookring. Thank you to all who have joined and I hope you all enjoy the book xx

Journal Entry 4 by bookowl1000 at Chepstow, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, May 05, 2011
Arrived safely this morning. Thank you.

Journal Entry 5 by bookowl1000 at Chepstow, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, May 08, 2011
This is a strange little book with an interesting concept.

It is a bit like the Canterbury Tales through Tarot. I can't say that I enjoyed reading it, but it was intriguing. I can picture in my head the author obsessively studying the cards, looking for stories. The classic stories, for example Hamlet told through the cards layout, shows how you can see anything you chose to when looking at something. I did find the novelty wore off after a while and I think that if it was a thick book I would have probably given up before the end.

What I like about the 1001 list, is that it causes me to read books that I would not normally pick up...thanks for sending it my way.

Journal Entry 6 by Caroley at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, May 15, 2011
Received yesterday thanks.

I'm just going to finish my current book and then I'll start this one straight away.

Journal Entry 7 by Caroley at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Friday, May 27, 2011
I quite liked the idea of this book but I struggled with the actual reading of it. I found some of it to be a bit dry which is a shame as I really wanted to like it.

Thanks for the opportunity to read it though. I've just PMd the next person and will get it on its way asap.

Journal Entry 8 by Caroley at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, May 28, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (5/28/2011 UTC) at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom

Sent on its way via 2nd class post. Enjoy :)

Journal Entry 9 by BGQ-488500 at Birchington, Kent United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 31, 2011
Arrived this morning with a great big boot mark on the back of the packet - thanks Royal Mail! The book was fine though, and I'm looking forward to reading it =]

Thank you to Danielle23 for sharing, and Caroley for passing it on.

Journal Entry 10 by BGQ-488500 at Birchington, Kent United Kingdom on Sunday, June 12, 2011
Hmmm! It was interesting, no doubt about that. I liked the concept and I quite enjoyed reading it, though one part ('I also try to tell my tale') was very heavy going. Having an interest in the tarot myself probably helped me to enjoy this more, as I liked the way the author coaxed whole stories out of a few cards.

All in all, a good 1001 read - thanks for sharing it! I'll post it on to mafarrimond tomorrow.

Journal Entry 11 by BGQ-488500 at Birchington, Kent United Kingdom on Monday, June 13, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (6/13/2011 UTC) at Birchington, Kent United Kingdom

Posted along to mafarrimond today. Enjoy! =]

Journal Entry 12 by mafarrimond at Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, June 18, 2011
The book has arrived safely. It sounds very interesting.

Journal Entry 13 by mafarrimond at Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 29, 2011
An interesting way to tell your story - I will have to try it.

Journal Entry 14 by mafarrimond at Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, June 30, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (6/30/2011 UTC) at Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom

Posted to brunton11.

Journal Entry 15 by wingbrunton11wing at Salford, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Sunday, July 03, 2011
Arrived yesterday. Sounds interesting - I have one bookray in front of this one so had better get reading!

Journal Entry 16 by wingbrunton11wing at Salford, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Friday, July 22, 2011
Again an interesting concept and just about the right length. A breath of fresh air after some of the heavy going 1001 books I've read lately!

Will get this posted on to kingfan30 tomorrow.

Journal Entry 17 by kingfan30 at Corby Glen, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Monday, July 25, 2011
Book has arrived safe and sound, it certainly looks interesting, thanks for sharing x

9 Aug 11 - Well a book told through tarot cards was always going to be an interesting one. It is an unusual concept, the fact that no one can talk and the cards tell the story, in theory everyone there would read them differently and maybe that would have made a more interesting read, the same cards read from different perspectives. I am not sure if I would have followed it better if I knew a bit more about tarot cards, I felt sometimes the cards pictured did not always follow the story.

I think the author summed it up nicely just four chapters in 'I have no idea how many if us managed to decipher the tale somehow, without getting lost among all those low cards, cups and coins, that popped up just when we were most eager for a clear exposition of the facts.' Well if he does not know, I am blowed if I am supposed to!

Journal Entry 18 by kingfan30 at Bourne, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (8/30/2011 UTC) at Bourne, Lincolnshire United Kingdom

On its way to the next reader.

Journal Entry 19 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Friday, September 09, 2011
Arrived safely in my mailbox today. It looks like an interesting read. For now it has a place on my TBR-shelf.

Thanks for sending, kingfan30, love the the bookplates you included!

Journal Entry 20 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Sunday, October 09, 2011
This book is marked 'started-not-finished'. I just couldn't get into it: not in the stories, in the style of writing.
I will not rate it, since I did not really read it. I've contacted Nakipa for her address, as soon as I have it, the book will continue its journey.

Journal Entry 21 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Wednesday, October 12, 2011
Partially my 'fault', partially not: I just could not get through this book. I gave it a try, more than once, but did not even reach the end of the first chapter.
I'm unfamiliar with tarot (that's the fault part) and I just do not have the right frame of mind to dig that out and try to read the book for the third time.

Journal Entry 22 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (10/13/2011 UTC) at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands

On its way to the next reader: nakipa in Portugal.

Journal Entry 23 by wingNakipawing at Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Sunday, January 08, 2012
Just arrived home and I'm so sorry for the delay of the ring. I'm gonna take a couple of days to read it and send the book along asap!

Journal Entry 24 by wingNakipawing at -- Not specified --, Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Sunday, January 22, 2012
I can't! I tried but I can't read it through the end. It's fairly well written but I just couldn't help falling asleep a couple of times and when that happens I know I will not manage to read it. Maybe in a couple of years. PMing the next reader and post it along as soon as I have an address.

Journal Entry 25 by wingNakipawing at Barcelona, Barcelona Spain on Monday, January 30, 2012

Released 8 yrs ago (1/30/2012 UTC) at Barcelona, Barcelona Spain

Posting to one of my favorite cities, Barcelona. I hope you enjoy!

Journal Entry 26 by marko167 at Sant Pere de Ribes, Barcelona Spain on Thursday, February 16, 2012
Arrived safe and sound. Have one book to read before I start this one, so will hopefully be not long on MTBR.