Cool Water

by Dianne Warren | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Kally93 of Brantford, Ontario Canada on 4/21/2011
Journal Entry 1 by Kally93 from Brantford, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, April 27, 2011
Couldnt resist buying this on sale.

Journal Entry 2 by Kally93 at Brantford, Ontario Canada on Sunday, June 12, 2011
I loved this book! I loved the stories about each of the characters that all lived in the same small town in Saskachawan. They each had separate stories yet they connected to each other sometimes only subtly. Your had to read carefully to see some of the connections, like a rooster or a fence being left open, or a boy telling a woman that the town "sucks", so she doesn't show up to a job interview being conducted by another character. The writing was excellent. You could almost feel the heat, the sand, the cool water, the night air.

Plan to send to the winner of the Canadian Literature RABCK sweeps.

Journal Entry 3 by Kally93 at RABCK, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada on Saturday, July 02, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (7/2/2011 UTC) at RABCK, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada

Hello and congratulations! You have not only found yourself a good book, but a whole community of booklovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world. I hope you'll stick around a bit and get to know BookCrossing --maybe even make a journal entry on this book. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (its free!) Feel free to read and keep this book, or to pass it on to a friend or even set it out "in the wild" for someone else to find like you did. If you do choose to join and journal, then you can watch the book as it travels- You'll be alerted by email each time someone makes another journal entry. It's all confidential (you're known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address), free, and spam-free.

Released for :
Canada Day Release Challenge
Finally mailed this today.

Journal Entry 4 by wingfraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, July 12, 2011
Wow, thank you kally93 for granting me a wishlist book for the International Canada Literature Sweepstakes! Cool Water looks like a great book.

It's totally going to make its way to the top of Mnt. TBR!!!

Journal Entry 5 by wingfraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, January 19, 2013
Took me 18 months to get to the book, but I am so glad I did!

I was describing this fictional town to my 92 year old dad, who came from Richmound Saskatchewan, a tiny village just West of the Great Sand Hills that play a big part of this story. This gave reading about the lives of the inhabitants of Juliet so much more meaningful.

Thanks to Kally93's review! I'd totally missed the connection between the young woman passing through with the applicant that didn't show for her interview! Sheesh.

Very well written book, which was winner of a 2010 Governor General's Award.

Thank you so much for sharing.

Journal Entry 6 by wingfraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, March 09, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (3/9/2013 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

I trust this book will find a new reader at the March meet-up of Calgary BookCrossers at the Joshua Tree Café.

Journal Entry 7 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, March 09, 2013
I picked this up today at our March meeting at the Joshua Tree Cafe. The bag was a bit heavy!!

Journal Entry 8 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, April 29, 2013
Parts of this book really depressed me, parts made me chuckle, parts made me think, I missed some of the connections, and I wish it hadn't ended where it did - felt like I wanted to know more about how the characters resolve their problems. Neat to see a story about those sand hills.

Journal Entry 9 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (5/11/2013 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Had a lovely lunch with crossingguardma to drop off some books for the May meeting as I am at a memorial service. These ones are either on the theme or they need to start circulating soon.

Journal Entry 10 by wingrureadingwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, May 12, 2013
Picked this up at the meetup.

Journal Entry 11 by wingrureadingwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, March 07, 2014
I llked following the connections of the characters in this story balanced with the historical background of the area. Some of the observations of the characters in the midst of their problems were thought-provoking; shedding a little light on some assumptions of small-town life.

Journal Entry 12 by wingrureadingwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, June 14, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (6/14/2014 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Took the book to the Calgary BC meetup today.

Journal Entry 13 by wingherchellewing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, June 15, 2014
I had just sat down at the table and waved at rureading at the other end of the table, when she brought this book over to me. I don't remember putting my name on this but it does look really good. I hope that it doesn't take too long to climb to the top of my TBR pile.

Journal Entry 14 by wingherchellewing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, March 22, 2015
It has been a wonderful experience having this book in my hands. I have been totally ingrossed ever since I opened the pages late last week. I stayed up reading a lot more than my usual 4 pages before I fell asleep. I got up early and read before going to work. I sat at the table reading, then kept on reading in bed. This morning, I woke up at 4:35 and kept on reading until I finished, then went back to bed.
I also missed the connection between the applicant and the boy who told her that the town sucked. Loved the characters, loved the setting, LOVED THE BOOK!
Thank you so much, for passing this book across the table, yet again!!

Journal Entry 15 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, April 14, 2015
Picked up at get together

Journal Entry 16 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, August 08, 2016
I'm still not quite sure what I think of this book as a whole. I liked the variety in the different characters and different stories which were followed, and it was interesting to see where the different people ended up intersecting and interacting with each other. It was a slower paced book which covered a very short period of time with some big changes in it. While I didn't find all the stories or characters my cup of tea, I did find them all realistic.

Thanks for the interesting read.

Journal Entry 17 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, June 10, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (6/10/2017 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taken to get together

Journal Entry 18 by BookyMcBooks at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, June 10, 2017
Picked up at the Calgary June BookCrossing meetup.