Jane Austen: A Life

by Claire Tomalin | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by wingLeishaCamdenwing of Alna bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on 4/13/2011
Journal Entry 1 by wingLeishaCamdenwing from Alna bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Wednesday, April 13, 2011
Copied from amazon.co.uk:

The novels of Jane Austen depict a world of civility, reassuring stability and continuity, which generations of readers have supposed was the world she herself inhabited. Claire Tomalin's biography paints a surprisingly different picture of the Austen family and their Hampshire neighbours, and of Jane's progress through a difficult childhood, an unhappy love affair, her experiences as a poor relation and her decision to reject a marriage that would solve all her problems - except that of continuing as a writer. Both the woman and the novels are radically reassessed in this biography.

I love Jane Austen, but I feel like I know far too little about her as a person, all I know is the novels. I will remedy that by reading this book. :-)

This is a trade paperback edition from Penguin, published in 2000. The book was originally published in 1997; this is apparently a revised edition.

I bought this book at The Book Depository. Free shipping worldwide! :-D

Journal Entry 2 by Tanumine at Råholt, Akershus fylke Norway on Sunday, September 11, 2016
I think I've managed to use over a year getting through this book - but that is all because of me and has nothing to do with the book, I assure you ;-) I finished it today.

Like LeishaCamden writes; I too felt like I knew far too little about my favourite author. And when Leisha recommended this biography, of course I needed to read it too :-)

It's very well composed, and Tomalin has really done her research well. There is so much info! And footnotes ;-) There were passages I needed to reread several times to get all the details sorted. That might be the reason I've needed so much time getting through it :-)

I want to read this book again after some time. This is my first Austen biography, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone. I felt like I took part in her life and got to know her. And I appreciated Tomalin adding what happened after Jane's death as well.

Journal Entry 3 by Tanumine at Råholt, Akershus fylke Norway on Friday, April 21, 2017
Thank you for lending it to me! I enjoyed it :-)

Journal Entry 4 by wingLeishaCamdenwing at Alna bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Saturday, April 06, 2019
Yep, the book is back with me. :-) I think I'm keeping it.