American Born Chinese

by Gene Luen Yang | Graphic Novels |
Registered by wingKateKintailwing of Burke, Virginia USA on 4/12/2011
Journal Entry 1 by wingKateKintailwing from Burke, Virginia USA on Tuesday, April 12, 2011
Bought this from a charity book drive. I've been wanting to read a copy for a while now.

This was a very interesting mix of stories, which all come together in the end in a strange, sudden way. I actually really liked how it approached being Chinese in America. We get a normal main character, an insulting/embarrassing stereotype, and an ancient Chinese myth about fitting in vs. being who you are.

This book will be released at the 2011 BookCrossing Convention.

Journal Entry 3 by futurecat at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Thursday, April 21, 2011
Won in the graphic novels raffle at the DC convention.

^ ^
=+=
v

Journal Entry 4 by futurecat at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Sunday, April 24, 2011
Just what I needed to make a couple of days sick in bed (stupid FutureCat forgot about the whole "Christchurch's tap water is contaminated with sewerage, don't drink it" thing...) go faster. Loved the way the three stories came together to comment on what it means to be true to yourself and your culture.

^ ^
=+=
v

Journal Entry 5 by alkaline-kiwi at Auckland, Auckland Province New Zealand on Friday, May 20, 2011
Sent to me by the wonderful FutureCat after I mentioned I enjoyed graphic novels.

I started flicking through this earlier this evening and look forward to reading more of it.

Journal Entry 6 by alkaline-kiwi at Auckland, Auckland Province New Zealand on Friday, July 15, 2011
Saw this on the wishlist of an awesome comic artist/writer I know through twitter/facebook so decided to read it in time to hand it over at Auckland Zinefest (you can find his comic at http://www.roostertailscomic.com)

I really enjoyed this, loved the illustrations and how the stories all interconnected at the end. The stuff about the Transformers and the kids playing with their toys made me laugh (and I thought it was cute too) . I think out of all the stories I enjoyed the one of the Monkey King the most.

Journal Entry 7 by alkaline-kiwi at Passed by hand, A little surprise! -- Controlled Releases on Monday, November 21, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (7/15/2011 UTC) at Passed by hand, A little surprise! -- Controlled Releases

Given to Sam at Auckland Zinefest