The Horse Boy: A Memoir of Healing

by Rupert Isaacson | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by sing-song of Calgary, Alberta Canada on 4/9/2011
Journal Entry 1 by sing-song from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, April 09, 2011
This was a powerful book about reaching into the world of an autistic child. After having taught a boy with Asbergers (in Autism spectrum), I was really cuaght up with the hope this story brought.

Product Description
When his son Rowan was diagnosed with autism, Rupert Isaacson was devastated, afraid he might never be able to communicate with his child. But when Isaacson, a lifelong horseman, rode their neighbor's horse with Rowan, Rowan improved immeasurably. He was struck with a crazy idea: why not take Rowan to Mongolia, the one place in the world where horses and shamanic healing intersected?

THE HORSE BOY is the dramatic and heartwarming story of that impossible adventure. In Mongolia, the family found undreamed of landscapes and people, unbearable setbacks, and advances beyond their wildest dreams. This is a deeply moving, truly one-of-a-kind story--of a family willing to go to the ends of the earth to help their son, and of a boy learning to connect with the world for the first time.

Journal Entry 2 by sing-song at Joshua Tree Café, Edmonton Trail in Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, April 09, 2011

Released 9 yrs ago (4/9/2011 UTC) at Joshua Tree Café, Edmonton Trail in Calgary, Alberta Canada

Released at April meeting.

Journal Entry 3 by fracula at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, April 10, 2011
I have a relative with Asberger's. Sing-song has highly recommended this book and I am delighted to add it to my Mount To Be Read.

Thanks!

Journal Entry 4 by fracula at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, October 18, 2011
I was totally engrossed in this book. These were such devoted parents to take such a journey, with all the challenges of an autistic son, across the world for healing.

This story is full of hope for those raising an autistic child. Would like to find the movie, to see the documented journey.

I have a next reader in mind for this treasure.

Journal Entry 5 by fracula at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, January 14, 2012

Released 8 yrs ago (1/14/2012 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Released at the January meet-up of Calgary Book-Crossers - Joshua Tree Café.

Journal Entry 6 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, January 15, 2012
Picked up at January get together

Journal Entry 7 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, July 21, 2013
This was one of the books I had also taken out on CD, read by the author Rupert Isaacson, to listen to when I got my laser eye surgery done. However, I only just got a chance to finish it.

It was amazing writing which allowed for a perfect window into their lives and their journey of healing in Mongolia. I also feel like I learned a lot about the different places they went and the different views and treatments relating to autism.

Thank you for this enlightening read!

Journal Entry 8 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, August 10, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (8/10/2013 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Passed on to another Book Crosser at get together

Journal Entry 9 by Crossing-Guard at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, August 12, 2013
Picked up at our August meet up. Adding to my really large TBR pile.

Journal Entry 10 by Crossing-Guard at Langdon, Alberta Canada on Saturday, May 10, 2014
Really interesting look at a family dealing with an autistic child and trying to find healing for their son. I have a whole new appreciation for parents dealing with a "difficult" child, especially the reaction to people when they are out in public. I couldn't believe the psychologist of all people having that kind of reaction, I guess more education is required! I am a big fan of getting healing from all different avenues as what have you got to loose, glad that this book found its way to me.

Journal Entry 11 by Crossing-Guard at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, May 10, 2014

Released 6 yrs ago (5/10/2014 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking this to Calgary's monthly "Western" themed meeting. I figured as there were lots of people on horses, that they live in Texas and have to travel "west" to get home that it fit the theme.

Journal Entry 12 by nada50 at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, May 10, 2014
Picked up at the May bookcrossing meetup

Journal Entry 13 by nada50 at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, August 16, 2014
Loved this book - the indepth view into the world of a family dealing with an autistic child. Also loved the Mongolian experience - my paternal grandmother came from Mongolia - so interested in the country & people. Now if only western medicine could embrace eastern healing, our lives would be so much healthier and richer.
On to the next reader on the list...

Journal Entry 14 by megami-no-ushi at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, September 13, 2014
Picked up at the September meeting!

Journal Entry 15 by megami-no-ushi at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, September 09, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (9/9/2017 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taken to the September meeting: Not my Cup of Tea. I started this one since it didn't seem to be calling me but I'd give it 50 pages. Instead I devoured it and am very glad I decided to at least give it a shot before bringing it back!

To the finder:

Journal Entry 16 by L-Marie at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, September 16, 2017
I haven't read this book yet

Journal Entry 17 by L-Marie at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, November 23, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (11/23/2017 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

This book was an amazing adventure with parents and an autistic child. The family goes to Mongolia to be with the Shamans who say they can help the child. They travel to Mongolia and have all kinds of ups and downs, but they make the obstacle laden trek. The autistic boy has a way with animals and they seem to understand him, especially a horse named Betsy. It's a wonderful adventure and I couldn't put the book down.

Journal Entry 18 by B-Lynn at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, December 13, 2017
To be read

Journal Entry 19 by B-Lynn at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, March 06, 2018

Released 2 yrs ago (3/6/2018 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

an interesting book on autism. certainly gives a different perspective.