The White Masai

by Corinne Hofmann | Biographies & Memoirs | This book has not been rated.
ISBN: 1905147082 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingAzukiwing of Miami, Florida USA on 4/9/2011
Journal Entry 1 by wingAzukiwing from Miami, Florida USA on Saturday, April 9, 2011
The White Masai combines adventure and the pursuit of passion in a page-turning story of two star-crossed lovers from vastly different backgrounds. Corinne, a Swiss entrepreneur, meets Lketinga, a Samburu warrior, while on vacation in Mombasa on Kenya's glamorous coast. She fell so deeply in love that she uproots her life to move to Africa—not the romantic Africa of popular culture, but the Africa of the Masai, in the middle of the isolated bush, where five-foot-tall huts made from cow dung serve as homes. Undaunted by wild animals, hunger, and bouts with tropical diseases, she tries to forge a life with Lketinga. But slowly the dream starts to crumble when she can no longer ignore the chasm between their two vastly different cultures.

This is a really engaging tale. If you believe in reincarnation, Corinne's feelings must root from a past life. She is an amazingly strong woman.

The following contains spoiler:

It is sad that this story does not have a fairy tale ending. I wish so much it does. From newspaper advice columns, I know that there are controlling, jealous husbands everywhere, even if they don suits and ties instead of loinclothes. So you can't blame it on language barrier. At least, in terms of rotten husbands, Lketinga is far from the bottom of the rut. Nonetheless, I am deeply sadden that this great love could not end on happier terms, when it could have.

The story is really entertaining, although towards the end, the incidents somewhat gets repetitive: get grocery, car break down, domestic fight; that I almost long for the ending.

For anyone interested, I've found two websites about the Masai tribe, with photos which helps me trememdously in visualizing the people and the scenes:
www.maasai-association.org
And this site has a movie trailer for the movie: (I must say the actor is not as handsome as the Lketinga in my mind.)

Journal Entry 2 by wingAzukiwing at Passport to the World VBB, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, February 9, 2012

Released 10 yrs ago (2/9/2012 UTC) at Passport to the World VBB, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Friday, February 24, 2012
received in the mail. Thanks!

Journal Entry 4 by HoserLauren at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Saturday, July 5, 2014
My mom, AceofHearts, passed away from breast cancer on September 17, 2013. Aside from being one of the best people I know, she was an avid reader and took immense pleasure in Bookcrossing, her book club, and reading many great books. Unfortunately she didn't get around to reading this book.

We had similar tastes in books and would share them whenever we read something we enjoyed. This book sounds interesting so I'm going to keep it to read.

Journal Entry 5 by HoserLauren at Little Free Library - Summers Common in Burlington, Ontario Canada on Saturday, August 13, 2022

Released 1 mo ago (8/14/2022 UTC) at Little Free Library - Summers Common in Burlington, Ontario Canada

I've been doing some bookshelf cleaning and I've had this book for too long, time to share! I'll be giving these to someone to help populate a little free library in Mississauga. To the finder of this book: I hope you enjoy reading this book. Please keep it or set it free when you're done. If the book is of no interest to you, please release it into the wild for someone else to find and enjoy. I hope you will make a journal entry so its journey can be tracked and to let me know the book has been found. You can remain anonymous if you wish, but if you join BookCrossing, you are in for a great experience.