Now and Forever

by Ray Bradbury | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by mikime of Roma, Lazio Italy on 4/4/2011
Journal Entry 1 by mikime from Roma, Lazio Italy on Monday, April 04, 2011
From the back cover:
"Two bewitching new novellas from an incomparable talent.
In 'Somewhere a Band is Playing', newsman James Cardiff is lured through poetry and his fascination with a beautiful and enigmatic young woman to Summerton, Arizona, where no children play and the residents never seem to age. He sets out co uncover the town's msteries before the inevitable arrival of a ruthless destruction.
'Leviathan '99' reimagines Herman Melville's classic 'Moby Dick' as an interstellar adventure, transforming the great whale into a worlds-devouring comet. When astronaut Ishmael Jones joins the crew aboard the 'Cetus 7' he places his fate in the hands of a relentless madman. In the merciless void the crew will face a divine judgement and an 'enemy' wielding the most fearsome weapon of all... Time.
More than half a century into his career, Ray Bradbury continues to delight and astound with his grand visions, lyrical prose and provocative thought."

A great new book of one of the most fascinating and talented writers in the world, Ray Bradbury, the magician of words!

This was a gift from my birthday buddy, who loves Bradbury too! :) Thank you again, bekoh!

Journal Entry 2 by mikime at Roma, Lazio Italy on Thursday, April 21, 2011
This is going to be an international ring. I'm gathering participants at the moment.

----
BOOKRING

This ring is open and international. To join please send me a PM.
14 May 2011: the book is on its way to pedonebianco - FrancaB

The list so far:

pedonebianco - FrancaB (bc-italy- Milano-Italy / anywhere )
rodespringbal (bc.com- Belgium / Europe)
kiyoitsukikage (bc.com- UK / Europe)
Nell-Lu (bc.com- UK / anywhere)
mafarrimond (bc.com- UK / anywhere)
TomHl (bc.com- USA / anywhere)
Erishkigalwing (bc.com- USA / anywhere)
emmmersss (bc.com- USA / anywhere)
davemurray101 (bc.com- Australia/ anywhere)
madpocky (bc.com - Philippines / anywhere) <--- the book is here
bookowl1000 (bc.com- China / anywhere)
RonOren (bc.com- UK / anywhere)
..........

I'm trying to keep a geographical order that makes sense.

Usual rules:
0- wait for the previous person to ask for your address...when they do, reply!...then wait for the book to get to you....patiently wait.... finally:
1- write a journal entry when you receive it!
2- take your time to read it, but don't forget it on your shelf. Please let us know if you have problems and it's taking you longer than expected (say, longer than 1 month...).
3- ask for next person's address when you're about to finish it.
4- make another j.e. (NO release notes please!) when you've finished and are ready to send it, with your comments and ideas.

Enjoy the book!

I got it a few days ago while I was away.

Journal Entry 4 by rodespringbal at Moerbeke-Waas, Oost-Vlaanderen / Flandre Orientale Belgium on Friday, July 01, 2011
I got the book, will read it after finishing an other book

Journal Entry 5 by rodespringbal at Moerbeke-Waas, Oost-Vlaanderen / Flandre Orientale Belgium on Monday, July 18, 2011
Normally I'm into this genre but I struggled so much with this one. I didn't finished it. Tried to but couldn't. I wish the next person on the list happy readings and I hope that kiyoitsukikage will have better luck in finishing it.
Will ship this to the UK when I get the address.

Journal Entry 6 by rodespringbal at Moerbeke-Waas, Oost-Vlaanderen / Flandre Orientale Belgium on Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Released 9 yrs ago (7/20/2011 UTC) at Moerbeke-Waas, Oost-Vlaanderen / Flandre Orientale Belgium

went to the postoffice and the book is on it's way to the UK to meet with kiyoitsukikage

Journal Entry 7 by kiyoitsukikage at Brixton, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 27, 2011
It's arrived, thank you! will start as soon as I Finish previous ring.

Journal Entry 8 by kiyoitsukikage at Brixton, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, August 11, 2011

Released 9 yrs ago (8/11/2011 UTC) at Brixton, Greater London United Kingdom

I have to say I had the same experience as rodespringbal. I struggled through the first story and didn't manage to finish the other one.
Thanks for sharing!
The book is on the way to Nell-Lu.

Journal Entry 9 by Nell-Lu at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, August 15, 2011
This arrived at the weekend -- thanks to mikime for starting the bookring and kiyoitsukikage for passing it on to me. It'll be the next book I read.

Journal Entry 10 by Nell-Lu at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, August 20, 2011
These two stories are magical.

I enjoyed the gradual revealing -- and unravelling -- of Summerton's secrets. The tone of the piece is beautiful, as are the visual images (especially those sunflowers!).

I was uncertain about "Leviathan '99" at first -- Bradbury's introduction didn't sell me on it. But, it's a compelling piece. It's made me want to read Moby-Dick, which I've been avoiding all my life. Again, it's a very visual story, and one full of mystery and wonder.

Thanks, mikime, for sharing. I have mafarrimond's address and hope to get to the Post Office this morning to send this book on.

Journal Entry 11 by mafarrimond at Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, August 27, 2011
Received today from the post office. Next to be read.

Journal Entry 12 by mafarrimond at Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, October 24, 2011
Sorry that its taken longer to read this than planned. I actually enjoyed the first story a lot! I loved Ray Bradbury's evokative descriptions - wonderful.

I would love to hear the radio play of the second story. I imagine it would be quite something.

Journal Entry 13 by mafarrimond at Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (10/26/2011 UTC) at Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom

Posted on!

Journal Entry 14 by TomHl at Pewaukee, Wisconsin USA on Monday, October 31, 2011
The book has arrived in Pewaukee Wisconsin USA. Thanks to mafarrimond for the quick shipping, and thanks to mikime for organizing the bookring. I just finished The Man Who Awoke, and will start this one next.

Journal Entry 15 by TomHl at Pewaukee, Wisconsin USA on Friday, November 04, 2011
"Somewhere A Band Is Playing" - I think it takes a special frame of mind to read Bradbury's prose and absorb his imagery. Every sentence resonates with new associations, and conjures up patterns of meaning that shift as you read. Unfortunately, the richness of this experience can overwhelm the actual plot. In the case of this story, the plot comes down to a simple thing, but for those of us who have previously read almost all of Bradbury's writings, the pleasure is in the journey. I liked this story quite a bit.

'Leviathan '99" - This was an interesting exercise in the recasting of Herman Melville's Moby Dick into space. Interesting yes, but without the power of the original. It was definitely a dumbing down to essentially a screenplay designed to fit within a time budget. If this watered-down version tickled you, and you have the time, go read Moby Dick itself!

It was fun to see Wisconsin mentioned briefly in each story. No wonder, since Ray Bradbury was born not too far from here, just down in Waukegan, Illinois.

Journal Entry 16 by RayBradburyProj at Waukegan, Illinois USA on Tuesday, November 08, 2011
Today, this book visited Ray Bradbury Park in Waukegan Illinois USA. Ray Bradbury's 1920s childhood was spent in this neighborhood of Waukegan, and his fictional Green Town is here. The park is quite small, on a residential street and includes a footbridge across the creek at the bottom of the Waukegan Ravine. This is the ravine Bradbury imagined, when he wrote about Lavinia Nebbs walking Helen Greer home before her encounter with... the Lonely One... in Dandelion Wine. While I was there, I released two of Ray Bradbury's books in the park.

Dandelion Wine
Fahrenheit 451

Journal Entry 17 by TomHl at Pewaukee, Wisconsin USA on Tuesday, November 08, 2011
Today, I sent this book to Erishkigal in Salt Lake City, Utah, USA. First Class US Mail should take just a few days. It's been fun.

Journal Entry 18 by wingerishkigalwing at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Monday, November 14, 2011
The book has arrived safely in Salt Lake (it actually arrived Fri or Sat, but I'm having computer charging issues). Thanks for making it a ring, Mikame, and for sending it on to me, TomHl

Journal Entry 19 by wingerishkigalwing at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Wednesday, January 18, 2012
OMG~~I am so sorry for holding this up for so long! It arrived when I was swamped with two shows, so I didn't get right into it, then I read "Somewhere A Band is Playing" and started Leviathan before Holiday swampings began, and the book was buried amidst all....( and alas, these days, once out of sight it's out of mind...) but it surfaced I started over on Leviathan, and have pm'd emmmersss for her/his address.

I enjoyed both stories, but then I am a major fan of Bradbury's, and am well aware that the journey is the thing :) OK, sometimes I lose the thread of a story, but that's irrelevant, because always it's lyrical, evocative....poetry.

An added note to whoever said they would like to hear the radio play of Leviathan 99~~ long ago (and far away) I had the joy of directing and designing "Kaleidoscope" as my BFA project. And I've always wanted the opportunity to do "The Veldt" or "Pillar of Fire" ...who knows, maybe I'll yet convince some one to produce one of those on a small stage....

Mikime, thank you for sharing this delight!

Journal Entry 20 by emmmersss at Clarksville, Tennessee USA on Wednesday, February 08, 2012
Received this book on Friday or Saturday. Already half way through the book and almost done with "Somewhere a Band is Playing." Loving the book so far but I love everything by Ray Bradbury. PMing next person on list as I'm sure I'll be finishing it up soon and mailing it out by next week! Thanks for sharing this book, mikime!

Journal Entry 21 by emmmersss at Clarksville, Tennessee USA on Thursday, March 08, 2012

Released 8 yrs ago (3/8/2012 UTC) at Clarksville, Tennessee USA

On it's way to Austrailia to davemurray!

Sorry about the delay, I tried to get it out before traveling across country but couldn't make it to the post office on time!

Hope this gets to you fairly quick and thank you for being so patient! (:

Journal Entry 22 by davemurray101 at Maryville, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, April 01, 2012
received in the post today, should get to this one soon. Thanks to mikime and emmmersss.

Journal Entry 23 by davemurray101 at Maryville, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, April 07, 2012
Two fantastic tales. The first in the style of 'Dandelion Wine', Ray Bradbury perhaps is the writer who best captures his childhood. The Second a re-telling of 'Moby Dick'. Thanks again to Mikime, posting to madpocky soon.

Journal Entry 24 by davemurray101 at To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, April 09, 2012

Released 8 yrs ago (4/9/2012 UTC) at To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Posted to Madpocky.

Journal Entry 25 by madpocky at Manila, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Philippines on Wednesday, August 29, 2012
This book is with me and is in good condition. Will be traveling to the next reader soon. :)