Blind Your Ponies

by Stanley Gordon West | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingbookczukwing of Charleston, South Carolina USA on 4/2/2011
Journal Entry 1 by wingbookczukwing from Charleston, South Carolina USA on Saturday, April 02, 2011
Audio version (CD) received from HighBridge Publishers and LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Thank you so much. Have heard mixed reviews on this one, however am looking forward to a good "ear-read" of the book. :)

Journal Entry 2 by wingbookczukwing at Charleston, South Carolina USA on Sunday, May 15, 2011
Let me start out by offering an apology to the people that bought over 40,000 copies of this book when it was originally published in 2001, to Algonquin Press (one of the publishers I trust the most) who republished the book in 2011, to HighBridge Publishers who very generously sent me an audio copy of the book, and last, but certainly not least, Stanley G. West, author of Blind Your Ponies. The book just didn't do it for me. It wasn't the basketball play by plays (there were a lot, or the hard luck overcoming adversity that peppered the lives of so many of the townsfolk in Willow Creek, that town even further than the end of the pavement. And honestly, it wasn't the flourishing overuse of adjectives. It just didn't gel for me. I'm sorry. But I did listen to the very end -- all 15 disks (aka 574 pages.) And at the end, I came away liking a 6'10 Norwegian and a three-legged cat.

True, I'm not a huge basketball fan, but I am a people observer, a lover of good characterizations and the chance to people watch in Willow Creek was too good to pass up. But there was too much of a Hallmark movie in the plot for me, a little too much scrappy-band-of-losers overcomes all odds. (Keep in mind that I've been accused of being too optimistic, so if it was too much for me, I can't help think I'm not alone.) Mr West did bring together some interesting characters, and give them backgrounds, mysteries and story arcs that would have made many a creative writing teacher proud. The end result was that the dimpled leather sphere kissed the backboard, took a lazy roll around the rim of the well, but didn't let the crowd, holding its collective breath in hope and anticipation, head the gentle swish, like a mother brushing her child's hair as she watches it sleep, of the ball slipping into the well.

PS I wasn't too keen on the audio actors voice depictions of some of the younger characters.

Journal Entry 3 by wingbookczukwing at Charleston, South Carolina USA on Friday, August 05, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (8/5/2011 UTC) at Charleston, South Carolina USA

For Indygo88's CD Audio Bookbox.. Happy travels.

To the future finder of this book:

Welcome to BookCrossing, a unique community of book lovers, sharing their libraries with the world. This book is now yours to read, enjoy, keep or pass on to another reader. The BookCrossing ID, which you entered in the "Enter a BCID" box on the website, is unique to this copy of this book. If you make a journal entry (either anonymously, or as a BookCrossing member) all previous readers of this actual book will be notified by email, and can follow the book as it travels. BookCrossing is free to join, completely confidential (you are known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address) and a heck of a lot of fun. Be on the lookout for other books left in the "Wild"!

PS And if you find yourself liking BookCrossing, there may be local BookCrossers who meet regularly in your area. Come join us!

Journal Entry 4 by tostle at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Wednesday, August 17, 2011
I am taking this from indygo88's CD Audio Bookbox. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 5 by tostle at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Saturday, July 27, 2013
B enjoyed reading this book. He said: "This is a really good book!! I found myself cheering for the boys, mad at other teams who beat them, and crying at the end of it!"

Journal Entry 6 by askmargaret at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Wednesday, October 02, 2013
I liked this book. It was an engrossing story. W & S also listened to this and enjoyed it!

Journal Entry 7 by tostle at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Sunday, January 19, 2014
This book is reserved for iwillrejoice's audiobook vbb

Journal Entry 8 by tostle at Immokalee, Florida USA on Saturday, February 08, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (2/8/2014 UTC) at Immokalee, Florida USA

This book is on the way! Part of iwillrejoice's vbb.

Journal Entry 9 by wingiwillrejoicewing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Thursday, February 13, 2014
It's here! Thanks for sharing. I'm looking forward to it!

Journal Entry 10 by wingiwillrejoicewing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Friday, January 11, 2019
I enjoyed this. Listened to on an extended road trip last year. Loved the feisty grandma & her parrot & 3-legged cat, Tripod. Loved the grit of the boys. Good story!

Journal Entry 11 by wingiwillrejoicewing at Guadalupe Center of Immokalee in Immokalee, Florida USA on Friday, January 11, 2019

Released 9 mos ago (1/11/2019 UTC) at Guadalupe Center of Immokalee in Immokalee, Florida USA

Happy to discover a Little Library Box in Immokalee. Happy travels, little book!

To the finder: If you find this book, it is yours to read, keep, or release! Please leave a journal entry so that I can follow this book's journey. Happy reading!