The Da Vinci Code

by Dan Brown | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by Fire-Dragon of Sydney, New South Wales Australia on 9/9/2003
Journal Entry 1 by Fire-Dragon from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, September 09, 2003
John (aka Drjohn99) and his wife Gayle gave this to me at the Sydney September meetup at Bill & Toni's. I'm looking forward to reading it as I've heard a lot about it. I've already promised it to Bookfrog when I'm done and may organise it as a bookray.

Journal Entry 2 by Fire-Dragon from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, September 17, 2003
This is going to be a bookray when I'm done. I'm not collecting any more names - it's up to Lijay whether she wants to keep the bookray going when she's done or release it in another way. Here are the participants:
1. BookFrog, Australia
11. MarianFrench, UK
12. Lijay, Northern Ireland
13. Silkina, Germany
14. Secotyne, Switzerland
15. After that, who knows? (It's a ray, not a ring).

Journal Entry 3 by Fire-Dragon from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, September 27, 2003
This book has it all - mystery, action, European arty glamour and even a Grail quest. I read it compulsively and finished it within a day. It's a little heavy on the goddess worship stuff but it's all interesting. The buzz is definitely justified.

From the back: Harvard professor Robert Langdon receives an urgent late-night phone call while on business in Paris: the elderly curator of the Louvre has been brutally murdered inside the museum. Alongside the body, police have found a series of baffling codes. As Langdon and a gifted French cryptologist begin to sort through the bizarre riddles, they are stunned to find a trail that leads to the works of Leonardo Da Vinci - and suggests the answer to a mystery that stretches deep into the vault of history.

My boyfriend is going to read this - he studied medieval history and semiotics (study of symbols) at university so I'll be interested to see what he thinks. After that, the bookray!

Later: I should make clear that the high rating is in its context as a potboiler. The book is a ripsnorter of a page turner but it's also deeply silly and sometimes the writing is awful. If you're expecting a literary book, you'll be disappointed.

Journal Entry 4 by BookFrog from Albion Park, New South Wales Australia on Monday, October 20, 2003
Received at meetup.

Started and enjoying. For some reason I am trying to avoid the blurb to find out just what I am reading about. Is it a murder mystery? What is it? Will write more when I find out more (hrm does that mean I have to avoid the journal entries below??)

Journal Entry 5 by BookFrog from Albion Park, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, October 29, 2003
I managed to read this without reading fire-dragon's comment or the blurb on the back. I think I wanted to read this with no help. Usually I am all for reading blurbs and studying cover but I wanted this to be a complete mystery. Who knows why sometimes my brain works like it does?

Anyway I had to start carrying it around because I wanted to read it. Being a large book I was leaving it at home but then it started coming on the train with me as I got more and more into it and more and more annoyed at the fact I had caught a fast train and my stop was here and I had to get off and stop reading just when it got exciting.

So basically yes a hunt for the answer, the book riddled with clues and mysterious and answers. A little heavy of the goddess thing for me to but still intriguing. They travel through Paris and England, the police on the tail. Can they trust the police or can they trust others around them? It twists and turns, not knowing who to listen to or trust or are all people really as they seem?

A very good read. I was going to send it out today but forgot the address to send it to while at post office. Will address envelope tonight and send out. Will have a heavy bag tomorrow.

Journal Entry 6 by BookFrog from Albion Park, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, November 20, 2003
Sent to Girltiger today. Sorry finally! Also sent with another bookring book if I could only remember its name.

Journal Entry 7 by Girltiger from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, November 23, 2003
Thank you Book frog!!!!!

Journal Entry 8 by Girltiger from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, November 23, 2003
Thank you Book frog!!!!! I am going to send this straight onto the next reader......I am off to work in Afghanistan for the UN and will not be able to read this in time before I go...thank you anyway!

Journal Entry 9 by Girltiger from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, November 26, 2003
Sadly I have to pass this book back to bookfrog.....I can't read it as I am about to head overseas on a long assignment!!!!! Thank you bookfrog, you are a dream!

Journal Entry 10 by twinmaker from Winthrop, Western Australia Australia on Thursday, January 08, 2004
Arrived in the letterbox today - will read asap and pass on to the next on the list.

Journal Entry 11 by twinmaker from Winthrop, Western Australia Australia on Wednesday, January 21, 2004
I enjoyed this book and could see it being made up on the big screen. Probably upset some though. Forwarding to kellyhp. Oops, no I'm not, forwarding to next on list tzurriz.

Journal Entry 12 by Tzurriz from Flossmoor, Illinois USA on Thursday, January 29, 2004
I just got this book in the mail. i had no idea it was coming all the way from Australia! Wow! I don't think I've ever held anything in my hands from Australia before. I can't wait to get started on this one. Thanks so much!

Journal Entry 13 by Tzurriz from Flossmoor, Illinois USA on Wednesday, February 18, 2004
Wow. This is the best book I've read in a long time. It grabbed me by the throat and would not let go.

I thought the ending was a little weak, but the story itself, yowza.

If you are looking for something that is amazingly well-written, and a joy to read, this is it!