Tender at the Bone: Growing Up at the Table

by Ruth Reichl | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by mrsjones of Hamilton, Ohio USA on 4/1/2011
Journal Entry 1 by mrsjones from Hamilton, Ohio USA on Friday, April 01, 2011
This was the first Ruth Reichl memoir I read and I immediately sought out the other two afterward (Comfort Me With Apples - and - Garlic & Sapphires). Reichl was the editor-in-chief of GOURMET Magazine and food critic for the New York Times. This book is wonderful, though I enjoyed "Garlic and Sapphires" even more.

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 2 by mrsjones at Hamilton, Ohio USA on Friday, May 20, 2011
Adding this to the "Remember the Memoir" bookbox. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by wingmaryzeewing at Taneytown, Maryland USA on Tuesday, August 09, 2011
I was so thrilled to find this book from my wishlist included in this box. So of course, I snagged it :) And funnily enough, one of my additions to the box - her later book, Garlic and Sapphires. Hope someone enjoys that one, and I'm looking forward to reading more of Reichl. Thanks, MrsJones!

Journal Entry 4 by wingmaryzeewing at Taneytown, Maryland USA on Sunday, February 26, 2012
Ruth is a wonderful storyteller. I was amused at the beginning to hear her admit that although not all of her stories are true, they all "happened." I'd read her later book, Garlic and Sapphires first, and was thrilled to be able to read her first book.
This was interesting, to be able to read of Ruth growing up, learning to cook from a variety of influences, her "grandmother"'s cook, Alice, her mother's cook, Mrs. Peavey, her French-Canadian friend's family (when she's forced to move to Canada to go to boarding school), various jobs as waitress, cocktail waitress, and through her travels to Europe, northern Africa, and around the U.S., and cooking for large groups while living in a commune (dumpster-diving??). And as she finishes her tale, we see her starting out as a restaurant critic and foodie. And always there are "wonderful" recipes throughout.

This book will soon be going out as a surprise RABCK. Hope the next reader enjoys it as much as I did.

Journal Entry 5 by wingmaryzeewing at A fellow BookCrosser, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Friday, March 02, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (3/2/2012 UTC) at A fellow BookCrosser, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Sent this wishlist book off to a new home today. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by wingvalpetewing at Walnut Creek, California USA on Friday, March 09, 2012
Wow! What a nice surprise! Thanks so much!

Journal Entry 7 by wingvalpetewing at Walnut Creek, California USA on Monday, May 21, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (5/21/2012 UTC) at Walnut Creek, California USA

I found that I have 2 copies of this book on my TBR shelf, so am sending this along to a BookMooch pal.

Journal Entry 8 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Dunlap, Iowa USA on Saturday, July 14, 2012
The second of her books (comfortable me w/ apples) I've read, really enjoy her writing...