A Touch of Dead (Sookie Stackhouse: The Complete Stories)

by Charlaine Harris | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingadrienne10wing of Seattle, Washington USA on 4/1/2011
Journal Entry 1 by wingadrienne10wing from Seattle, Washington USA on Friday, April 01, 2011
A Touch of Dead is the collection of Sookie Stackhouse short stories that have appeared in other anthologies at various stages of the series chronology.
In "Fairy Dust," Sookie finds her mind-reading talents in demand when a fairy from a set of triplets gets dusted.
"Dracula Night" may be the commemoration of the Prince of Darkness's birth, but it's Sookie who gets a tasty-looking present.
Learning that her cousin is dead is shocking enough for Sookie. Learning that her cousin was a vampire who got staked leaves her speechless in "One Word Answers."
When Sookie teams up with her witchy friend Amelia to discover who has it out for Bon Temps's most successful insurance agents, they get "Lucky."
A solo Sookie has the holiday blues in "Gift Wrap," until she has an expected encounter with someone who has bigger problems than loneliness.
With a southern charm all her own -- and a myriad of voices inside her head -- Sookie has quickly become everyone's favorite barmaid and the catalyst for all the supernatural goings-on in "a world that is both a wierd possibility and a wild ride" (The Anniston Star).

Some of the gaps I've been irritated with in the chronology and "what happened?" that occur in the main books are addressed in this anthology. The writing is of poorer quality than in the novels. I find it a little presumptive that the author and the publisher would expect readers of the books to also pick up all the random anthologies and follow the Sookie series so devotedly. Don't get me wrong, for my absolute favorite series, I do that. Sookie, unfortunately, does not rate that high for me. However, I'm pleased to have read these short, fast reads to tie up some tattered ends from the series.

Journal Entry 2 by wingadrienne10wing at Seattle, Washington USA on Tuesday, June 14, 2011
Thank you for joining this spiral. Each book has a different shipping order, based on who requested it. Please journal each book as you receive it and check who to ship it to. When the book has left it’s current person, the next book will be shipped.

This book is shipped in the following order:
Thegoaliegirl [WA, USA]
NMReader, [USA]
Elissamay [NY, USA]

Adrienne10 [WA, USA]
(Vilda [Sweden])
Esme-Weatherwax [Ireland]

Some guidelines to help the book on its journey:

1 On receiving the book write a journal entry so we can all keep track of where it is.
2 I will note people who already have had the book and its current location in colored type.
3 The person with the book PM's the next one on the list for their address and sends it along.
4 The goal of a spiral is for no one person to have several in the series at once. Please try to read the book as soon as possible and send along so that you do not end up with many at once. The exception is the person at the end of the spiral.

Thank you so much for participating!

Journal Entry 3 by wingadrienne10wing at -- Mail or by hand-ring, RABCK, meetings, Washington USA on Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (6/14/2011 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-ring, RABCK, meetings, Washington USA

Sending off to thegoaliegirl. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by wingthegoaliegirlwing at Spokane, Washington USA on Saturday, June 18, 2011
Book has arrived safely in Spokane, WA

Journal Entry 5 by wingthegoaliegirlwing at Spokane, Washington USA on Wednesday, June 22, 2011
In general this collection a bit of a let-down. Short stories aren't her thing, as the writing in her novels is much better. These stories did help to fill in some of the gaps in the story line. Starting a new book I'd be confused and wonder what I was missing, as I didn't recall what was being mentioned. Now it all makes sense. Overall, I enjoyed this book, it helped to clarify a few things.

Journal Entry 6 by wingthegoaliegirlwing at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (6/22/2011 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sent off to NMReader

Journal Entry 7 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Friday, July 08, 2011
This book arrived a little while ago and I thought I had journaled this book. I am almost halfway through the book.

I hope to finish this weekend

Journal Entry 8 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Tuesday, July 12, 2011
I enjoyed this collection of short stories about Sookie. I have had a bit of a break in reading about her as I have been waiting for the ring/ray of the 9th in the series.

Journal Entry 9 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (7/11/2011 UTC) at Herndon, Virginia USA

Dropped at the PO on the way back to sister's house after taking niece to lunch.

Journal Entry 10 by elissamay at Brooklyn, New York USA on Saturday, July 23, 2011
Thanks for sending this along! Kinda nervous that other readers have thought this is poorly written in comparison with the novels, since I'm not exactly reading this series for the quality of the prose, but I'm happy to fill in gaps in the series anyway.

Journal Entry 11 by elissamay at -- Wild, somewhere in Brooklyn in Brooklyn, New York USA on Friday, December 21, 2018

Released 11 mos ago (12/21/2018 UTC) at -- Wild, somewhere in Brooklyn in Brooklyn, New York USA

After a long Bookcrossing absence and many many life events, I'm sorry to say that I no longer have this book and I released it into the wild instead of continuing the book ring. There isn't a way to indicate that you let go of a book some time ago (that I can see), but I no longer have this... I believe I left it on the free shelf in my apartment building's lobby two or three moves ago. I'm so sorry to the other participants... I hope you got to finish the series through some other means and that this book shows back up on BookCrossing some day.