Selected Poems

by Thomas Hardy | Poetry | This book has not been rated.
Registered by rainbow3 of Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on 4/1/2011
Journal Entry 1 by rainbow3 from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, April 01, 2011
The New Wessex Selection of Thomas Hardy’s Poetry – Ed. John and Eirian Wain ~ Bought for my partner Vespa in celebration of the UK BookCrossing, Yahoo Groups Not So Secret EASTER BUNNY Surprise 2011.

Book cover: Hardy’s poetry is a drama as ironical as any of those her chose to write about. His greatest love poems – ‘one of the glories of English literature’, John Wain calls them – were written to his first wife, with whom his marriage had been by no means easy, only after she was dead. The greatest of these, the ‘Poems of 1912-13’ are included in their entirety. Before and after them are generous selections of Hardy’ lyrics, humours, impassioned, ironical in the their view of human strengths and weaknesses, rich is the lore of the Dorset countryside he loved so well, and strongly in the tradition so firmly established by the nameless poets of the middle ages.

This selection had been made by John and Eirian Wain. The introduction is by John Wain, and the text of the poems is that established by James Gibson in the authoritative New Wessex Complete Poems of Thomas Hardy.

Cover picture: Flower fringed Cornfields, a view fro Abinger Hammer towards Hawkhurst Downs by E. W. Waite (1854-1924) Bridgeman Art Library, London.
-----------------------------------------------------

Journal Entry 2 by rainbow3 at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, April 01, 2011
Poetry is something of a frustration with me as when I love it, it’s a delight beyond words that sets a light off my inside my head, but most often I find the meaning so illusive I get utterly exasperated, feeling comprehension will only arrive if someone explains what is meant. I’ll admit though that even when comprehension is elusive I can find phrases that are absolutely mesmerising. There’s lots here to wonder at and the introduction, what little of it I read as I whipped through it in unseemly haste was, very helpful towards understanding.

Journal Entry 3 by rainbow3 at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, April 01, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (4/1/2011 UTC) at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

I am popping this into a book package for my partner Vespa in celebration of the UK BookCrossing, Yahoo Groups Not So Secret EASTER BUNNY Surprise 2011. I am planning getting this into the post, via a Post Office somewhere in Edinburgh, once the making of my Easter Bunny Bookmarks is done and the Easter and postal wrappings are complete!

Journal Entry 4 by Vespa at Weymouth, Dorset United Kingdom on Sunday, April 24, 2011
This was one of the first Hardy books I read when I was about 11 years old. Mr Jones the head teacher read us poetry by Hardy then softened it with Edward Lear's the Jumblies or the Pobble who had no toes. He had a lovely welsh accent (which is totally wrong for reading Hardy lol) and I was entranced. I lived for those lessons and as I glanced through this book this morning,I can hear his voice 30 something years later. Thank you Mr Jones for giving me a lifelong love of poetry and thank you Rainbow3 for giving me this book