Gone with a Handsomer Man

by Michael Lee West | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingAceofHeartswing of Mississauga, Ontario Canada on 3/31/2011
Journal Entry 1 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Thursday, March 31, 2011
Take one out-of-work pastry chef . . .

Teeny Templeton believes that her life is finally on track. She’s getting married, she’s baking her own wedding cake, and she’s leaving her troubled past behind. And then? She finds her fiancé playing naked badminton with a couple of gorgeous, skanky chicks.

Add a whole lot of trouble . . .

Needless to say, the wedding is off. Adding insult to injury, her fiancé slaps a restraining order on her. When he’s found dead a few days later, all fingers point to Teeny.

And stir like crazy!

Her only hope is through an old boyfriend-turned-lawyer, the guy who broke her heart a decade ago. But dredging up the past brings more than skeletons out of the closet, and Teeny doesn’t know who she can trust. With evidence mounting and the heat turning up, Teeny must also figure out where to live, how to support herself, how to clear her name, and how to protect her heart.

Journal Entry 2 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Thursday, April 07, 2011
Teeny is an out-of-work pastry chef who is affianced to Bing. He has given her a present of some cake decorating lessons but when Teeny arrives home because of a canceled lesson, she finds Bing playing naked badminton with 2 also naked women. Teeny being a woman of heated passions climbs a peach tree and begins lobbing peaches. Teeny is arrested and given a restraining order.

The setting is Charleston. Teeny moves into one of the historic homes downtown courtesy of Bing's aunt Dora whom he dislikes. One of Bing's girlfriends is selling the historic house and Teeny needs to both find a job and find new accommodation.

When Bing is found dead, Teeny is the prime suspect for all sorts of reasons. A chance encounter leads to Teeny meeting an old flame who dumped her 10 years ago. He also happens to be a lawyer and is more than willing to help Teeny and find out who the real killer is.

This is a funny cozy mystery. There are a bunch of inconsistencies and just plain unbelievable plot lines but the story grabs you and the humour fuels the need to keep turning those pages. Teeny is so naive but has the southern charm necessary for a great character. I loved reading about one of my favourite places, Charleston. The recipes included sound delicious but I will watch what ingredients I use.

The last sentence just shouts there will be a sequel and I for one will wait with baited breath.

Journal Entry 3 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Monday, May 16, 2011
mailed today to my birthday partner. a nice cozy mystery set in a great town

Journal Entry 4 by elsi at Sanger, Texas USA on Monday, May 30, 2011
Ahhhh! Set in the deep South -- my personal stomping ground. I'm definitely looking forward to reading this book. Thanks for sending it to me.