Swallowing Grandma

by KATE LONG | Other |
ISBN: 033041934x Global Overview for this book
Registered by rainbow3 of Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on 3/29/2011
Journal Entry 1 by rainbow3 from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 29, 2011
Found this is January and despite having no need to buy any books swiped it up with glee recalling what a hoot Long’s The Bad Mother’s Handbook had been. Such is the life of a bookcrosser, always feeling sure the answer to the question, can one have too many books is - daft question!

BOOK COVER & FANTASTIC FICTION SYNOPSIS COMBINED: Katherine Millar is eighteen, and desperate for lots of things - to be thinner and less swotty, and to have cooler friends. But most of all she wishes that she had two parents instead of one grandma, Poll.

Poll is pushing seventy, half-blind and utterly poisonous. She has looked after Katherine since she was a baby, when Katherine's father Rodger, Poll's adored only son, was killed in a car crash. According to Poll, the crash was the fault of Katherine's mother, who disappeared shortly afterwards and hasn't been seen since. Poll's ambition is for things to stay exactly the same for ever, and for Katherine never to leave their pit village of Bank Top; indeed for her to leave the house only when strictly necessary.

Katherine has other ideas, especially when on her birthday she receives a mysterious parcel of glamorous, grown-up clothes - so unlike the ones Poll makes her wear. And then the handsome and self-assured Callum turns up, claiming to be a cousin she never knew she had. Katherine can feel that change is coming; the omens are all around her. In the meantime, she cleans up after Poll, revises for her exams, watches daytime television and surfs the net at the library trying to find out how to be bulimic. What she doesn't quite realize yet is that life won't always wait for you to catch up.

SWALLOWING GRANDMA is a perceptive, vivid and painfully funny novel about the ties of love and loathing, and the ways in which our versions of the past can thwart our visions for the future. In Katherine and Poll, Kate Long has created two unforgettable characters locked in an epic battle over whose side of the story will prevail.

'Wise, warm and witty... Will keep you reading until the every last page' RED, Book of the Month

Journal Entry 2 by rainbow3 at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 29, 2011
Funny with decidedly acerbic notes, Long’s acutely observed social interactions are a real treat. With her sharply honest reactions to her world, Katherine Millar makes a memorable character as she stumbles forward into the unknown while Poll struggles with the effects of aging and continues adamantly entrenched in her unexamined view of the past.

There’s a twin narrative, though the sad, stunned voice that intertwines with Katherine’s is for the greatest part of the book much less distinct. Needless to say why that is the case is understood and fits brilliantly into place by the books end.

Callum’s appearance is at first a breath of fresh air and coincides with the potential for great change in Katherine’s life. The difficulty is whether Katherine is going to feel able to fight for these great changes. Before Katherine even starts to question Polls version of the past it’s become clear there could be greater revelations and conflict to come, greater than even Katherine could have conceived of.

In creating the daring and compelling voice of Katherine Millar, a voice that has such stellar resonance, Long has yet again woven a breath-taking and compassionate spell. What a treat on ending this had delivered me to a destination I would never have guessed at. Swallowing Grandma is subtly captivating tale and very moving.

Journal Entry 3 by rainbow3 at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (3/29/2011 UTC) at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

I am popping this into a book package for my partner Vespa in celebration of the UK BookCrossing, Yahoo Groups Not So Secret EASTER BUNNY Surprise 2011.

Vespa, your enjoyment of Kate Long’s The Bad Mothers Handbook has inspired me to include Swallowing Grandma in this package despite it not being on your wishlist. I do hope it amuses you too. By Thursday 31 March 2011, I am planning getting this into the post, via a Post Office somewhere in Edinburgh, once the making of my Easter Bunny Bookmarks is done and the Easter and postal wrappings are complete!

Journal Entry 4 by Vespa at Weymouth, Dorset United Kingdom on Sunday, April 24, 2011
Thank you for thinking of me with this book, sadly, I have already read this one, so I will see if I can find another person to pass it on to x