Dune

by Frank Herbert | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by JudySlump612 of Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on 3/28/2011
Journal Entry 1 by JudySlump612 from Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Monday, March 28, 2011
I regret that this book isn't in the topnotch condition I should like it to be for an exchange from a charming and generous English BookCrosser I haven't met. But the contents certainly need no apology! Beyond question, this is the best book Frank Herbert ever wrote. Any time the pages fall open, I'm at risk of being pulled in. My favorite parts are probably the Imperial scheming, but the detailed construction of Arrakis always blows me away. Jax, the strongest endorsement I can give for this book is: may you enjoy it as much, and as many times, as I do!

Journal Entry 2 by JudySlump612 at A BookCrosser, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Monday, March 28, 2011

Released 10 yrs ago (3/28/2011 UTC) at A BookCrosser, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Mailed to jax987654321 as part of an exchange

Journal Entry 3 by wingjax987654321wing at Ealing, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, April 21, 2011
This is on the BBCtop100 list, which I have been trying to read for a couple of years. thanks for sharing it with me.

Journal Entry 4 by wingjax987654321wing at Ealing, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, September 29, 2012
I read this as it is on the BBC top 200 (2003) I am very glad I did and it deserves its place at around number 30. It is a long book and I believe it has sequels, although I am unlikely to read the rest for some time as I have so many sequels to finish. It ended quicker than I expected as it has appendices, so I wasn't aware I was on the last page until I read the last line. The imagination that went into this book and the skill at writing it is fantastic.

The condition of the book didn't bother me, although it limits what I do with it. I have taped the cover back on and it seems to be holding out well since then, so it still has some life in it.

Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 5 by wingjax987654321wing at Ealing, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, November 17, 2012

Released 8 yrs ago (11/21/2012 UTC) at Ealing, Greater London United Kingdom

This will be going on its way to my secret santaess in a few days time. it is all packed up and ready to go. It will be sent as an unwrapped bonus due to its condition, however it is on her wishlist and its still readable and needs a home.

Journal Entry 6 by wingLittleSuzwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, December 29, 2012
Thank you Jax! Looking forward to reading this. I don't mind the condition, for as you say, it's perfectly readable.

Journal Entry 7 by wingLittleSuzwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, October 25, 2020
Apologies for the length of time this book sat on my shelf. I confess that after receiving it, my husband mentioned how much he hated Dune and that put me off starting it for many years!

I did eventually begin and for the first 50 pages or so enjoyed the unraveling of such a complex fantasy world. The Bene Gisserit, etc sounded fascinating. But gradually the pace of my reading slowed and my interest waned. By the time I got halfway through I found myself making excuses not to read further and so reluctantly decided to give up. There are simply too many books on my shelves to force myself through something I'm no longer enjoying. I guess that, similar to my husband, the Dune series is just not for me. It's a shame!

Journal Entry 8 by wingLittleSuzwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Released 3 wks ago (4/13/2021 UTC) at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Sent away as part of the virtual convention book buffet

Journal Entry 9 by wingdutch-bookwing at Heerenveen, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Wednesday, April 21, 2021
Thank you! This arrived today and the book is lovely - no matter the state it is in. I'm more charmed by a well read book than a new one anyway. But I love both kinds.
Thank you for sending. I'm looking forward to the read.