Tall Story

by Candy Gourlay | Children's Books |
ISBN: 1849920397 Global Overview for this book
Registered by curioustan of San Fernando, Romblon Philippines on 3/27/2011
Journal Entry 1 by curioustan from San Fernando, Romblon Philippines on Sunday, March 27, 2011
Read my review: http://mgakuwentongbuhayatnobela.blogspot.com/2011/03/miracles-happen-every-daylet-us-pray.html

The book is categorised as a children's story, but honestly, there are underlying messages that the author would like to convey, not only for those kids who love to play basketball, who believe in myths/tales, but also for adults (like me) being captivated by Filipino hero characters (like Bernardo Carpio, Darna, Ang Panday, and many others) and supertitious beliefs. And most importantly, the story rekindles the human spirit, hope, faith and courage - having them could bring miracles in our lives, especially in time of calamities and family problems. In particular, the story also provides a glimpse of Filipino culture like: the struggles among Filipinos working abroad (aka OFWs) to bring a bright future for their families left back in the Philippines. On the lighter side of it, the author shows the comical side in the lives of Bernardo and Andi with their loved ones and friends. Cultural differences and individual expectation among siblings also bring sense of humor and entertainment in the story.