The Fat Woman Next Door Is Pregnant

by Michel Tremblay | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 0889221901 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingherchellewing of Calgary, Alberta Canada on 3/11/2011
Journal Entry 1 by wingherchellewing from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, March 11, 2011
Reserved for the 2011 Canada Day Release!

Welcome to BookCrossing! This is a site for catching and releasing books and spreading the good karma of reading! Please make a journal entry when you FIND this book and let previous readers know how you came upon it. You may remain Anonymous if you like but it's very safe and spam free. Bookcrossers leave FREE books around for others to stumble upon...they read, and then re-release in a public place for someone else to enjoy. Of course you're welcome to keep the book if you prefer but it's more fun to watch them travel and to hear from them
once in a while. I hope you enjoy the book and I especially hope you enjoy BookCrossing as much as I do. Bookcrossers are amazing!!

Many thanks, herchelle
Calgary, Alberta CANADA

Journal Entry 2 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, May 15, 2012
I picked this up at the May meeting. Sounds interesting - I have a feeling it will remind me of growing up in my small hometown.

Journal Entry 3 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, February 09, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (2/9/2013 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking this to the February meeting at the Joshua Cafe. I had trouble with this book. AMybe I am just not in the right frame of mind.

Journal Entry 4 by wingfraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, February 09, 2013
Picked up at the February meet-up of Calgary BookCrossers at the Joshua Tree Café.

Journal Entry 5 by wingfraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, February 20, 2013
The Fat Woman Next Door Is Pregnant, the first volume of Michel Tremblay's immense Chroniques du plateau Mont-Royal, finds him abandoning much of the bleakness and anger that sustain his plays in favour of a more benevolent mode of storytelling. Without relinquishing his favourite themes--the social and spiritual poverty of working-class Quebec--Tremblay brings a lovingly comic approach to the inhabitants of la rue Fabre. The result is a rarity, a novel that realistically and (almost) unsentimentally portrays the family life of the working poor without drowning in misery.

Misery is, of course, everywhere on the plateau Mont-Royal. The Fat Woman Next Door Is Pregnant will be immediately recognizable to followers of Tremblay's plays, in which many of the same characters and stories appear. The women of la rue Fabre (with the exception of two prostitutes, Mercedes and Béatrice) are trapped in their marriages, families, and religion; the men (again, with the exception of the half-mad fiddler Josaphat-le-Violon and the homosexual Uncle Edouard) work at uninspiring jobs and lead uninspired lives. Children are granted a slight reprieve from this fate, but their coming adulthood is a looming menace.

There is very little plot in The Fat Woman Next Door Is Pregnant. It simply takes the community of the plateau Mont-Royal through a single eventful day, and even as it rambles from story to story it remains compulsively readable. Every character, from the tomcat Duplessis to the foul-mouthed but impeccably skilful streetcar driver Mastaï Jodoin, to the three knitting Graces on the porch next door (who are only visible to cats and crazy people), is rendered with great compassion and understanding. The remaining five volumes of the Chroniques du plateau Mont-Royal will look extremely tempting to anyone lucky enough to become involved with the tenants of la rue Fabre.

Journal Entry 6 by wingfraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, February 20, 2013
I am not sure if I would have read the entire book, if it was not to be counted as my Quebec entry for the Canadian Reading Challenge.

As the above journal notes, it is not so much a story as it is a bleak telling of the la rue Fabre inhabitants of Montreal, in 1942.

Journal Entry 7 by wingfraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, March 09, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (3/9/2013 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

I trust this book will find a new reader at the March meet-up of Calgary BookCrossers at the Joshua Tree Café.

Journal Entry 8 by wingherchellewing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, March 10, 2013
Ok, sorry to have passed this book around without reading it, the reviews weren't that favourable. So I will either read it myself or save it for the Canada Day release challenge.

Released 6 yrs ago (7/5/2013 UTC) at 1 of the Lil Lib.s NW ( Happy Hunting! ) in Calgary, Alberta Canada

Heading out to the two Little Free Libraries that I found yesterday and I have a box full of books to add!

The only clues I will give you are
19th St NW