The Valleys of the Assassins: and Other Persian Travels

by Freya Stark | Travel | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingAzukiwing of Miami, Florida USA on 3/5/2011
Journal Entry 1 by wingAzukiwing from Miami, Florida USA on Saturday, March 05, 2011
Found at the library book sale.

First published in 1934, Freya Stark's classic tale of her travels through Persia has been reprinted once again and is just as much a gem now as when first published. At the age of 37, Stark shocked her fellow Brits by moving to Baghdad, befriending the locals, studying Arabic and the Koran, and then setting out on expeditions to remote and uncharted areas of the Islamic world by foot, donkey, camel, and car. With her fascination for secret Islamic societies, she resolved to travel to the former home of the Cult of the Assassins and locate an ancient fortress described by Marco Polo. (The founder of the cult inspired his recruits to murder through the use of hashish, hence their name Hashishin, from which we get assassin.)

This book is reserved for TheGoalieGirl, aka TheTravelQueen.

Journal Entry 2 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Monday, April 11, 2011
I have to say the book is rather more slow paced than the title would lead you to expect. The author is an accomplished narrator though, managing to make one village sounds different from the next, one person unique from the others. It's also refreshing to see her respect of the culture.

I'm somewhat surprised about her relative ease to move around on her own. It sure sounds like the Middle East of yesterday was a much safer place. I wonder if a woman was freer to travel on her own then, the countries not powered by Fundamentalists, or if it was purely due to the fact that she was a white women, giving her a status above native women and almost equal to male.

I finished this today in the Read-a-thon so now it's ready to go to the next reader!

Journal Entry 3 by wingthegoaliegirlwing at Spokane, Washington USA on Saturday, April 16, 2011
Thanks for bringing this wishlist book to the convention for me azuki!

Journal Entry 4 by wingthegoaliegirlwing at Vancouver, Washington USA on Monday, March 23, 2020
I have been struggling with this book for several years. Since I have a lot less time to read now that I have kids, that hasn't helped. I would pick it up and struggle with it for a few months before setting it aside for several more months. It was interesting but it wasn't. I wanted to love this book so much but sadly, I just never got into it. I have had this one for way too long. At the rate I'm reading it, will have it for a lot longer, so the time has come to admit defeat and move it along to another reader.

Journal Entry 5 by wingthegoaliegirlwing at By mail, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Monday, March 23, 2020

Released 2 mos ago (3/23/2020 UTC) at By mail, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Off in the mail to mrsjones to continue traveling. Had enough to send a box of books her way to enjoy, as I'm taking a break from hosting a bookbox for a bit. (My TBR shelf is way too big)

Journal Entry 6 by mrsjones at Hamilton, Ohio USA on Monday, March 30, 2020
Received this in a box of books from thegoaliegirl. I look forward to reading and releasing it sometime soon!