Rebecca

by Daphne du Maurier | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Shahrun of Dagenham, Essex United Kingdom on 3/5/2011
Journal Entry 1 by Shahrun from Dagenham, Essex United Kingdom on Saturday, March 05, 2011
Found this amoungst the books on offer selection in Morden Train Crew Mess room a couple of days ago. Took it as it ticks off another read from The Top 100 Reads I'm trying to read my way through. Plan to read and release.

Journal Entry 2 by Shahrun at Elephant & Castle, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 13, 2011
I was not too sure what to expect with this book. The name 'Daphne du Maurier' creates images of trashy romance in my mind. This book was totaly not that. I think it is a well crafted Thriller.

I could sence through out the whole book a build up to an uncertain ending. I did feel quite frustrated with the charachters lack of communication. But that is pretty accurate of a lot of relationships, I think. The charachters and their situations are believable. As annoying as I found the New Mrs de Winter, I could understand where she was coming from.

It is quite interesting that the title of the book, and the person who is a key player in the plot is dead. Not sure I've read another book like it.

Another thing that struck me is how well this book has stood the test of time. It could just as easily have been written today.

Random thought, but do we actualy find out the name of the narrator? I don't recall reading it. Perhaps I'm wrong. I only remember reading Mrs de Winter - no first or maiden name.

I will most definatly be looking out for more books by this author.

Journal Entry 3 by Shahrun at Elephant & Castle, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (9/13/2011 UTC) at Elephant & Castle, Greater London United Kingdom

This is going to RedFox5 along with The Lovely Bones to complete our RABCK Swap.

Hope You enjoy them both!

Safe Travels little Books.

Journal Entry 4 by redfox5 at Sandhurst, Berkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, September 15, 2011
Thank you! Look forward to reading it :)

Journal Entry 5 by redfox5 at Sandhurst, Berkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 29, 2013
I had this book on my wishlist as it was one of the books that was read in 'The Reading Group' by Elizabeth Noble. It's something I would have picked up regardless though as this is my type of book. At first you think this is a book about a second wife who lives in the shadow of the first wife who has died. I can't even recall the name of the second wife which is odd because the whole story was told from her point of view. Was her name ever mentioned? The only name that stands out in my mind is Rebecca, which gives the reader an insight to what the second wife is feeling. How can you compete with a dead woman who everyone remembers, when even the readers can only remember Rebecca's name?

There is a turning point in the book and that is at the ball, I had guessed what was going to happen and I felt so sorry for the new Mrs de Winter as she walked unaware into the situation. And then the book turns again as we find out what really happened to Rebecca and what she was really like. This is where the book gets really interesting and unexpected. I won't spoil it.......

The ending was a bit sudden, I would have liked some more information at the end, to tie it up with the start. Why are they living in a hotel room now? Why didn't Manderley get rebuilt? etc. Above average book but missing a little something to give it full stars.

Journal Entry 6 by redfox5 at International RABCK Sweepstake, Sweepstake Winner -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (11/5/2013 UTC) at International RABCK Sweepstake, Sweepstake Winner -- Controlled Releases

Enjoy the book :)

Journal Entry 7 by sarahmangan at Nottingham, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Thursday, November 07, 2013
Wow thank you! I have read this before but I loved it so will enjoy re-reading it! Can't believe I have won! :)

Journal Entry 8 by sarahmangan at Nottingham, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Sunday, February 02, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (2/3/2014 UTC) at Nottingham, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom

I have another copy of this so I'm sending this off to the winner of the International RABCK Sweeps for Jan as it's on her wishlist. I hope you enjoy it and congratulations for winning!

Journal Entry 9 by alexiapapa at Larissa / Λάρισα, Larisa Greece on Tuesday, February 11, 2014
Thank you so much for sending me this book! Hope I'll have time to read it soon! :)