Breaking Dawn (The Twilight Saga, Book 4)

by Stephenie Meyer | Teens |
ISBN: 031606792x Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 3/4/2011
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, March 04, 2011
I found this somewhat-battered hardcover at a local charity shop; there's a tear in the inner spine and the tops of quite a few pages appear to have taken some water damage. I can't tell whether someone accidentally dropped the book in the bathtub or hurled it into a puddle in a fit of pique {wry grin}, but in any case the damage is light enough that, with a few repairs, the book should still be readable.

Well, inasmuch as this series is ever readable, anyway - I admit I'm not a fan. [If I'd read the series when I was the age of the intended readers, maybe 13 or so, I might have liked it very much, but we'll never know!]

While I've enjoyed many vampire (and werewolf) novels over the years, I never got into this series. When it first came out I recall thumbing through the book and then putting it back, and nothing I've heard about the series since has made me want to read it. (I did look through this book a bit just to see if my feelings about it had changed, but I kept running into phrases and descriptions that made my teeth ache. Oh, there were a few bits I found amusing, mostly bits of mundane chat between secondary characters, but honestly, the pages and pages of Bella reveling in how beautiful she is now, and how beautiful Edward is now, and how beautiful everything is now - make it stoooopppp!! And I really couldn't stand the cheerful way in which the hero and heroine of the book blithely devour a mountain lion - I mean, if, as they said, they really want prey that tastes as much like humans as possible, they should be eating pigs, not endangered meat-eaters. But that wouldn't have been as cool, I guess. Bears would be OK, much better than mountain lions, and not nearly as endangered, but our so-perfect couple can't be bothered with all that... Grrr.)

Anyway. Some vampire-themed books that I have enjoyed:

Chelsea Quin Yarbro's "St. Germain" series, including Blood Games - good-guy vampire in many different places and times, more historical fiction than straight-up vampire novel

Bram Stoker's Dracula, the daddy of 'em all (well, the first vampire novel - there were some stories and quite a few myths that actually came first).

For vampires and werewolves, there's Tanya Huff's Blood Trail, with a modern-day setting and some nice interpretations of the traditional monsters.

And, for a slight change of pace, Brothers of the Night, an anthology of gay-themed vampire stories.

There's a film adaptation of half of the book due out this year, with part 2 coming along later. I haven't seen the previous films and don't plan to watch this one, mainly because the lead actors don't appeal to me in the slightest (obviously, people's mileage varies here!), and none of the previews piqued my interest.

The most fun I've had from this series so far is via Dan Bergstein's blogs; you can see the "Breaking Dawn" entries here, and there are links to the blogs on the earlier books as well. He went into the series with a relatively open mind, but by the time he reached the final book the poor guy was clearly starting to crack {grin}; I've been thoroughly enjoying his comments.

I also enjoyed the detailed and more-than-a-little-snarky TV Tropes page on this series.

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Transit Center, Elm St in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, March 05, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (3/5/2011 UTC) at Transit Center, Elm St in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left the book propped up on a window ledge inside the waiting area at the bus stop. While the book wasn't to my taste, I know it's quite popular, and I hope that it finds a reader who will enjoy it!