CODE BLUE - EMERGENCY! (A Sector General Novel)

by James White | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by JudySlump612 of Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on 3/4/2011
Journal Entry 1 by JudySlump612 from Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Friday, March 04, 2011
Anyone who thinks about medical treatment in the future will think very quickly of James White's Sector General series. I can't think of another author who's put as much thought into the details of running an inter-species hospital. This book deals more with psychological (or alien equivalents) problems and treatments, and a main character with a very interesting background and set of issues. I hope future readers will enjoy this as much as I did.

Journal Entry 2 by JudySlump612 at by mail, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Friday, March 04, 2011

Released 10 yrs ago (3/4/2011 UTC) at by mail, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Placed in Medicine Chest Bookbox

Journal Entry 3 by Minerva101 at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, March 26, 2011
I picked this book out of the bookbox. If it is anything like StarDoc by S. L Viehl I am sure I will enjoy it a lot! Thanks for including some sci-fi in this box :)

Journal Entry 4 by Minerva101 at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, July 10, 2011
Well, I finally got around to reading this one, mainly because I want to include it in Erishkigal's Sci-Fi Bookbox. I like it, but I don't love it the same way I do the StarDoc books.

****SPOILER ALERT******
Read no further if you don't want spoilers

It was a bit of an exercise in frustration because the entire problem faced by Cha Thrat could have been solved by some education prior to attending "school" at Sector General. The poor alien went in blind with zero knowledge of the ethics of other species and clung very stubbornly to her own. I also wish there was a bit more character building. On the positive side I found the medicine aspect of the entire book to be very satisfying and have to admit that I laughed when Cha Thrat cut her own arm off after amputating a limb from a sick old alien. Weird logic that one was - I doubt Spock would approve - hahahahahahaha
:D

Thanks for sharing this one with me JudySlump612 :)

Journal Entry 5 by Minerva101 at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, July 11, 2011

Released 9 yrs ago (7/11/2011 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Added to Erishkigal's Sci-Fi bookbox. I hope the next reader enjoys it - kind of a fun book :D

Journal Entry 6 by k00kaburra at San Jose, California USA on Thursday, September 15, 2011
This book enjoyed a brief visit in San Jose, California before continuing its travels in Erishkigal's SF Bookbox!

Journal Entry 7 by wingerishkigalwing at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Saturday, November 26, 2011
What great fun to find this in my box-come-home ~~when I found StarDoc in judyslump's Medical Bookbox, I pulled it out because it made me think of of the Sector General books I had enjoyed a few decades ago~~and now I have one to enjoy again. Thanks!

Journal Entry 8 by wingerishkigalwing at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Sunday, January 15, 2012
And fun it was ~~ No wonder I remember these fondly ! I found myself especially appreciating that this variety of beings is working together, learning from and helping one another. Especially, as it seems a number of the SFs I have been pulling out recently are xenophobic testosterone-laden war stories. This was like a breath of fresh air :-)

Then at the end of the book, I read that White was lived in Belfast, and couldn't help but wonder if the violance and hatred of "the troubles" influenced him in creating a world where 'people' worked to understand one another....

Journal Entry 9 by wingerishkigalwing at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Monday, November 12, 2012

Released 8 yrs ago (11/13/2012 UTC) at Salt Lake City, Utah USA

This is now going back into the (current edition of) the Medicine Chest BookBox.

Journal Entry 10 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, March 03, 2013
I'm claiming this well-traveled book from the Medicine Chest bookbox. (The cover-art is delightfully goofy; how can an a being with that many hands appear to be about to drop the baby-or-whatever-it-is?)

Later: I'm enjoying this very much; it's a kind of "Grey's Anatomy"-IN-SPACE (or "ER"-IN-SPACE, depending on how you like your interns-in-training). Some very deft handling of a multi-species setup where, while everyone is (theoretically) aware of the communication and cultural issues, they still tend to fall foul of them now and then. (Amusingly enough, those TV shows I mentioned often dealt in culture-clash and communication problems too - but they didn't have to cope with patients for whom basic air and water might be toxic!)

I enjoyed the way the author let us see things through Cha Thrat's eyes, while simultaneously tipping us off as to what the humans were thinking. And I liked seeing them all learn more about each other, forging ways to get past the caste/culture/species boundaries. And the climax - what a lovely change of perspective on several classic SF plots!

[There's a TV Tropes page on the series, with some entertaining tidbits.]

The series, in order of publication:

Hospital Station
The Galactic Gourmet
Final Diagnosis
Mind Changer
Double Contact

Journal Entry 11 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, June 22, 2013

Released 7 yrs ago (6/24/2013 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm adding this book to the Otherworldly bookbox, which will be on its way to its next stop on Monday. Hope someone enjoys the book!

Journal Entry 12 by k00kaburra at San Jose, California USA on Monday, November 04, 2013
This book enjoyed a brief stop in San Jose, CA before continuing its journey in the Otherworldly Bookbox!

Journal Entry 13 by emmejo at Trumansburg, New York USA on Monday, May 19, 2014
This book came home with The Otherworldly Bookbox.

Journal Entry 14 by emmejo at Trumansburg, New York USA on Friday, November 07, 2014
When Cha Thrat heals a crewmember of a crashed Earth-human spaceship, it sets her on a path she never wanted to go on. She is shipped off-world to Sector General Hospital, where she receives an alarming crash-course in multi-species medicine.

I really enjoyed this book and am going to have to start looking for others in the series. I enjoy the storytelling devices, which strike a solid balance between alien and understandable. The idea that different planets would evolve drastically differently and result in beings and customs that would appear bizarre and even horrifying to others is handled nicely and with a touch of humor, such as everyone trying not to look what anyone else is eating in the lunch room, lest they be too revolted to finish their own meal.

I also enjoyed the view of an everyday life in multi-species space. Epic battles and wars can be fun, but they don't offer much chance for culture-building.

Journal Entry 15 by emmejo at Trumansburg, New York USA on Saturday, December 20, 2014

Released 6 yrs ago (12/19/2014 UTC) at Trumansburg, New York USA

Added to lane88's Sci Fi and Fantasy bookbox

Journal Entry 16 by lane1088 at Charlotte, North Carolina USA on Saturday, March 07, 2015
This came to me in the Sci Fi bookbox. Not sure if I will keep it or release it.

Journal Entry 17 by lane1088 at Airport in Charlotte, North Carolina USA on Friday, September 25, 2015

Released 5 yrs ago (9/11/2015 UTC) at Airport in Charlotte, North Carolina USA

I left this at the charlotte airport.

Journal Entry 18 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Monroe, North Carolina USA on Wednesday, November 23, 2016
Found this Sector General book at a used bookstore in Monroe, NC while on a car trip and have brought it back to Minnesota whence it started in 2011. My son read it while we were still in NC. I've just finished reading it here in MN. I enjoyed it (though perhaps not as much as earlier SG books) and am releasing it to my daughter, who will take it with her to Chicago.