Scourge: The Once and Future Threat of Smallpox

by Jonathan B. Tucker | Nonfiction |
Registered by wingJudySlump612wing of Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on 2/28/2011
Journal Entry 1 by wingJudySlump612wing from Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Monday, February 28, 2011
Doesn't this book have one of the most arresting first pages ever? It's an interesting story, both for the history and for the current issues. For me, the best part of the book was the incredible struggle to eradicate smallpox, pushing through just about every type of obstacle that could be imagined. After that, the discussions about what to do with the remaining virus seemed flat and bureaucratic - and yet that took up the majority of the book.

It's a good enough book that I'm glad I got to read it, yet not so good I have a hard time passing it on. I hope enough other readers will feel the same way that this book will travel and collect some good journal entries.

Journal Entry 2 by wingJudySlump612wing at by mail, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Friday, March 04, 2011

Released 9 yrs ago (3/4/2011 UTC) at by mail, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Placed in Medicine Chest Bookbox

Journal Entry 3 by wingjlautnerwing at San Luis Obispo, California USA on Sunday, May 08, 2011
Chose from the Medicine Chest Book Box.

Journal Entry 4 by wingjlautnerwing at San Luis Obispo, California USA on Monday, April 09, 2012
They refer to books like this as "cautionary tales". With good reason.

We learn the history of smallpox, the successful campaign to eradicate it, and finally the possible return of the disease if current supplies are not protected adequately. We meet the principals involved in each stage of the story, and in the case of World Health Organization eradication program director Henderson, we follow him into the events following eradication, when decisions are being made about what to do with the remaining caches of smallpox - in laboratories in Russia and the United States.

The story is interesting as a real-life thriller in a way, and also as an educational book on the nature of diseases. Smallpox has some features that allow its eradication, while malaria, for example, is far more difficult to contain.The book contains a substantial bibliography at the end for those who want to do further study.

Journal Entry 5 by wingjlautnerwing at San Luis Obispo, California USA on Friday, April 13, 2012

Released 8 yrs ago (4/13/2012 UTC) at San Luis Obispo, California USA

Sending to facebook friend Sarah C. Hoping she will make some notes here.

Journal Entry 6 by elizardbreath at Pendleton, Oregon USA on Friday, April 20, 2012
Hi! Thanks so much for sending this my way! I'm hoping to finish my current book in time to read this one and send it along in MaryZee's Biography of Things bookbox that I just received.

Journal Entry 7 by elizardbreath at Pendleton, Oregon USA on Tuesday, April 24, 2012
This book was interesting...and scary! I was very intrigued by the outbreak simulation laid out toward the end of the book. It's shocking to think of how quickly a smallpox outbreak could change the entire world---again! I was most interested by the historical descriptions at the beginning of the book. The most amazing part was when Tucker described how de Balmis vaccinated 22 orphans, in succession, all the way to Venezuela. What an awesome way to preserve a viable vaccine!

I will be releasing this book into MaryZee's Biography of Things bookbox.

Journal Entry 8 by elizardbreath at Bookbox in Bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Released 8 yrs ago (4/24/2012 UTC) at Bookbox in Bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Releasing into MaryZee's Biography of Things bookbox.

To the finder of this book:

Thanks, and Happy BookCrossing! :)

Journal Entry 9 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Tuesday, May 29, 2012
Taken from MaryZee's Biographies of Things box with thanks!

I *thought* this one would fit right into the Medicine Chest box, and I see it came from there... :)