The Sandman Vol. 3: Dream Country

by Gaiman | Graphic Novels |
ISBN: 156389016X Global Overview for this book
Registered by LilyKlip of Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on 2/26/2011
Journal Entry 1 by LilyKlip from Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Saturday, February 26, 2011
This one is more of a collection of short stories that are only connected by Dream or one of his siblings somehow getting involved. An ok read but I found it a little disappointing compared to the others.

Still hope you enjoy the book. ... And Book 4 is one of my favourites in the series ;)
________________________________________________________

- Please keep the books for a maximum of three weeks. They are all graphic novels and don't take that long to read. If you are too busy once it is your turn please PM me and I will move you further to the end. I cannot do this too often though as that would mess up the spiral system.

- It kind of goes without saying but please please handle the books with great care. Thank you!

- As this will be a long term commitment if you want to read all 11 books please consider carefully before signing up. If you change your mind along the way please let me know.

- I'm afraid I will have to cancel the spiral though if one book gets lost. I can afford to replace one book but don't want to pay for more.

participants (order will slightly change for each book in the series):

1. SerendipityN (Germany)
2. Xirxe (Germany)
3. Tsjara (Netherlands) please post to Nr. 5: KiwiinEngland!
(4. Esme-Weatherwax (Ireland) only Season of Mists (Book 4), World's End (Book 8) and Endless Nights (Book 11))
5. KiwiinEngland (Ireland/UK) kindly offered to take the books across the UK/Ireland border
6. Vekiki (UK)
7. MKtiny (UK)
8. Nell-Lu (UK)
9. Lunacia (Norway)
10. Appelsiini (Finland)
11. vedranaster (Croatia) will send it home in late January; Thanks for holding on to it over Christmas!

and back to me

This Spiral is listed in the BookRing Directory

Link to: Sandman Volume 4: Season of Mists

Journal Entry 2 by LilyKlip at Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Released 10 yrs ago (3/16/2011 UTC) at Leipzig, Sachsen Germany

And off goes Volume 3!

Journal Entry 3 by SerendipityN at Wuppertal, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, March 21, 2011
Arrived today, thank you!

Journal Entry 4 by SerendipityN at Wuppertal, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, April 04, 2011
I agree, this wasn't nearly as good as the previous volumes. I quite liked the Shakespeare story.

It was interesting to see the script for Calilope. I didn't read it, though.

Thanks for the ring! Now I'm looking forward to the next volume.

Journal Entry 5 by SerendipityN at Wuppertal, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Thursday, April 07, 2011

Released 10 yrs ago (4/7/2011 UTC) at Wuppertal, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

On its way to Xirxe.

Journal Entry 6 by Xirxe at Hannover, Niedersachsen Germany on Wednesday, April 20, 2011
I got it :-) Even I'm not at home, I got the information that it arrived safely. Fortunately the Easterweekend is imbending - plenty of time for reading.
Thanx a lot to LilyKlip for this third part of the Sandman. And also thanx to SerendipityN for sending it.

1. Mai 2011
Sandman Vol. III is composed of four stories, which have nothing to do with each other except their theme - dreaming. Maybe that's one of the reasons why this book is not in the same way fascinating than the first two ones. Also some of the tales are not that impressive: The cats dreaming is enjoyable - but no more. And the Shakespeare-story is more puzzling than awe-inspiring or entertaining. However this could also be due to my poor command of English :-) Anyway, the drawings are still inspiring and I'm looking forward for the next volume.

Yet a word to the German Post: I posted the book at thursday, 28th of April with a large sticker 'Büchersendung'. And found it again in MY postbox two days later with the remark: too less postage. They ignored my sticker! So tomorrow I'll make a new attempt to send it to Tsjara.

Journal Entry 7 by Xirxe at sent to a fellow bookcrosser, Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, May 01, 2011

Released 10 yrs ago (5/2/2011 UTC) at sent to a fellow bookcrosser, Bookring -- Controlled Releases

My second try to send it to Tsjara. Enjoy reading it!

Journal Entry 8 by Tsjara at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, May 08, 2011
Yay book 3 is here ^_^ (it actually arrived yesterday). Thanks for sending Xirxe and the lovely goodies you included! (strange that the German Post didn't see the 'Büchersendung' sticker.. it is quite large :p) Oh and there are again some funny cartoons on the back, I love the one about Ginger haha..
Thank again LilyKlip for sharing these books :)

Journal Entry 9 by Tsjara at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, June 02, 2011
I agree with the others that this one was a bit less compared to the previous book. The one about the cats I liked most I think. And not knowing the story of A Midsummer Night's Dream, I sometimes found that a bit hard to follow.. (trying to figure out what was going on, and who is who). But I do like the drawings. The last one gave me the creeps :p

Will send this to KiwiinEngland soon.

Journal Entry 10 by Tsjara at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Released 9 yrs ago (6/7/2011 UTC) at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands

Mailed it to KiwiinEngland today (sorry for the delay, couldn't get to the post office sooner)

Happy Bookcrossing!

Journal Entry 11 by wingkiwiinenglandwing at Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Monday, June 13, 2011
Hurrah, the third book is here. I do enjoy reading these, which are actually my first serious attempt to read comic style books since I was a child.

Journal Entry 12 by wingkiwiinenglandwing at Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Wednesday, June 15, 2011
Well that explains a lot about "A Midsummer Nights dream".

Other thoughts, Gaiman likes to have his illustrated women wearing very little clothes and appears to be a cat fan (I've read another of his graphic novels which features cats. In fact it's a bookring at the moment.)

I enjoyed seeing the script at the end of the book, and how much detail the writer suggests to the illustrator.

Looking forward to book four.

Journal Entry 13 by wingkiwiinenglandwing at Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Thursday, June 16, 2011

Released 9 yrs ago (6/18/2011 UTC) at Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom

This is heading off to the next in the ring, along with a button to be used for anything crafty (I've attached it to the top of the zip lock bag).

Journal Entry 14 by Vekiki at Greater London, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 21, 2011
Recieved, thankyou!

I likke gobbleing these up in one sitting, so will save this for my between shows break on Thursday to treat myself :)

Journal Entry 15 by Vekiki at Greater London, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, July 08, 2011

Released 9 yrs ago (7/8/2011 UTC) at Greater London, Greater London United Kingdom

hmm... I didn't really enjoy this one as much, but I was never a fan of short stories and this collcetion was much less connected than the previous
Don't get me wrong - it was still an enjoyable read, just not as outstanding as the previous

popped in the post today for the next reader

Journal Entry 16 by MKtiny at Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 12, 2011
Arrived today :D

Journal Entry 17 by MKtiny at Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 03, 2011
I enjoyed this read. It seemed much shorter than the other two though. My favourite was the cat story - weird, but compulsive! And I did like the take on A Misummer Night's Dream too. I can't wait for the next one :).

On it's way now to Nell-Lu.

Journal Entry 18 by Nell-Lu at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, August 04, 2011
This just arrived. Thanks MKtiny for passing it on and LilyKlip for sharing. I've just finished a book, so will start this one later today.

Journal Entry 19 by Nell-Lu at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, August 08, 2011
Fun, if a little short. I enjoyed the four stories and liked seeing the script for Calliope, although this did feel like padding to get the collection up to book length.

I've got Lunacia's address, so will send this on today.

Journal Entry 20 by winglunaciawing at Hammerfest, Finnmark fylke Norway on Tuesday, August 16, 2011
It has arrived! I will read it when the scent of perfume is gone. Still allergic...

Journal Entry 21 by LilyKlip at Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Tuesday, September 27, 2011
Just stepping in for a moment...

I received a message a few days ago in which one participant expressed her concern about the book being stalled. First of all: it is not! lunacia is reading the book at the moment, so it will be passed on soon.

On that note could you please make sure that the books do not get in contact with anything that has perfume in it, please. Thank you.

So far it looks as if about 6 months are needed per book which I think is pretty good considering 10 (or 11) people are reading them. Thank you all for reading and passing them on so fast.

So, I hope you keep enjoying them!

Stepping out again... ;)

Journal Entry 22 by winglunaciawing at Hammerfest, Finnmark fylke Norway on Tuesday, September 27, 2011
Even though life is crazy busy at the moment, I try to sneak in time to read this as often as I can, and am soon done. I have PMed the next on list for her address so that I can sent it as soon as I'm done!

Journal Entry 23 by winglunaciawing at Hammerfest, Finnmark fylke Norway on Thursday, September 29, 2011
I really love re-reading these albums! They are brilliant, and it has been such a long time since I last read them (1998, I think).

I will try to post it off to Appelsiini tomorrow.

Journal Entry 24 by winglunaciawing at Hammerfest, Finnmark fylke Norway on Friday, September 30, 2011

Released 9 yrs ago (9/30/2011 UTC) at Hammerfest, Finnmark fylke Norway

Sent off by mail today.

Journal Entry 25 by wingAppelsiiniwing at Valkeakoski, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Tuesday, October 04, 2011
This one arrived today! Thanks lunacia! I try to be quick with this one! :)

Journal Entry 26 by wingAppelsiiniwing at Valkeakoski, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Sunday, October 30, 2011
Like other readers, I also thought this was not the usual level of The Sandman. I liked the cat story (how many times I have been watching my cats while they are sleeping and dreaming! :) How wrong I have been when I have thought they dream about mice!) but three other stories were quite plain. I guess we have been spoiled with the firts two books! ;) Anyway, this one is now ready for vedranaster and will be off to Croatia as soon as I'm sure the address which I have is right. Thanks for sharing this one!

Journal Entry 27 by wingAppelsiiniwing at Valkeakoski, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Monday, October 31, 2011

Released 9 yrs ago (10/31/2011 UTC) at Valkeakoski, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

Sent this one to Croatia today! Hopefully it finds there well, the lady in post office wasn't sure if Croatia is an independent country... welcome to this century, Finnish Postal Office! *lol*

Journal Entry 28 by vedranaster at Zagreb: Donji grad (city centre), Zagreb City Croatia on Monday, November 07, 2011

Mr. Sandman arrived in my mailbox a minute ago. Thank you all for reading and sending on. I've got one ring book to finish, which will most likely be done by the end of the week, and then Sandman is next line.

Lol at the lady at the Finnish Post Office, but with understanding... Plenty of places in the world I haven't heard of or possibly think are part of something that they no longer are. It's a fast changing world out there. :)

Journal Entry 29 by vedranaster at Zagreb: Maksimir, Zagreb City Croatia on Sunday, November 20, 2011

Unlike most previous readers, I enjoyed this volume more than the first two. Maybe it's because life is hectic right now and short stories are more appealing. I liked how each story gave us a further glimpse into the Eternal's characters without being specifically centred around them.

I must admit, I skimmed over A Midsummer's Night Dream. To this day I find Shakespearian language difficult to master, and when it's in comic book form, mixed with Gaiman's weird imaginings, and I'm reading at half past midnight... Well, it's just a bit too much for me to wrap my brain around. ;)

Thanks to A Dream of a Thousand Cats, my cat dreaming, meowing, twitching and growling in her sleep will never look quite the same. ;)

I am now reading the last part, the script for Calliope. Very insightful.
Will soon be finished, and sending the book back home next week.
Thanks, LilyKlip, for sharing! :)

Journal Entry 30 by vedranaster at Zagreb: Donji grad (city centre), Zagreb City Croatia on Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Released 9 yrs ago (2/1/2012 UTC) at Zagreb: Donji grad (city centre), Zagreb City Croatia

The book is now in the care of the Post Office, on its way back home, to LilyKlip in Germany. Thank you for sharing!
Looking forward to part 4. :)

Journal Entry 31 by LilyKlip at Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Saturday, February 04, 2012
The book is back home. Number 5 is already on its way to SerendipityN.