Snow Crash

by Neal Stephenson | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by midwinter of Tucson, Arizona USA on 9/6/2003
Journal Entry 1 by midwinter from Tucson, Arizona USA on Saturday, September 06, 2003
Neal Stephenson is the heir to William Gibson's cyberpunk throne. This book is a witty, goofy romp through a dark modern reality - a pizza delivery boy by day, hacker god by night, Hiro Protagonist steals the show in this book.

Full bookring shipping order:
starbytes, Malaysia
minx2012, England
tiggsybabes, England
tiggmtl, Quebec, Canada

Journal Entry 2 by midwinter at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/ring, Rabck in Tucson, Arizona USA on Monday, September 15, 2003
Released on Monday, September 15, 2003 at US mail in Tucson, Arizona USA.

The ring has begun - on its way to quorcester - ETA, one week.

Journal Entry 3 by quorcester from Chicopee, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, September 24, 2003
Yay! I just got this in the mail today. :-) I have a book ahead of this that I need to finish, and then I will get started on this book. It will be my first cyberpunk novel ever read.

Journal Entry 4 by quorcester from Chicopee, Massachusetts USA on Sunday, October 05, 2003
I finished this book Friday, I just haven't been around to journal it until now. So...Snow Crash was so cool! Ok, admittedly I thought some parts of it were a bit far-fetched (like the viruses), but overall it was a lot of fun! But the ending -- I wanted to know what happened to all the other characters. *sigh* Oh well, can't have everything. Snow Crash did start off slow, but it picked up at around chapter 3, and it seemed like it just kept picking up the pace until it ended. So, very good book, an excellent way to get me into the cyberpunk genre, I think, since I enjoyed it so much.

I'll be passing it on to Sherria once I get her address.

Journal Entry 5 by quorcester at USPS in -- BookRing, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Thursday, October 09, 2003
Released on Thursday, October 09, 2003 at USPS in Bookring, postal release USA.

This is going out in the mail today.

Journal Entry 6 by Sherria from Bethel, Connecticut USA on Wednesday, October 15, 2003
This arrived today. I have one book to finish, then one more to read before I can start it. I"ll try to get to it quickly so that I can pass it on soon. Thanks for sharing it!

Journal Entry 7 by Sherria from Bethel, Connecticut USA on Tuesday, October 28, 2003
Starting this one tonite. Sorry for the delay in getting to it. I'm really looking forward to reading it, and will journal my thoughts when i've finished it.

Journal Entry 8 by Sherria from Bethel, Connecticut USA on Saturday, November 15, 2003
Finally finished this one. Wow, I had a really hard time getting through it, and I'm not sure why. The story was ok, but I kept falling asleep whenever I read it. It just didn't capture my attention, I don't think. Perhaps I'm just not cut out for cyberpunk?

I'll send this book on it's way as soon as I get the address of the next participant. Thanks for sharing it midwinter!

Journal Entry 9 by jamieh2003 from Wiley Ford, West Virginia USA on Wednesday, December 03, 2003
Received this in the mail today. Thanks midwinter, I've heard a lot of good things about this book. I'll be starting this one tonight.

Journal Entry 10 by jamieh2003 from Wiley Ford, West Virginia USA on Saturday, December 06, 2003
While I liked the story concept and the characters I seemed to have a heck of a time getting through this story. I was getting distracted by the vocabulary and generally having trouble keeping my focus on the storyline. Thanks for the opportunity to read it though. For some reason (and it could be I'm busy getting ready for the holidays) It just could not "hook" me.

Journal Entry 11 by jamieh2003 at on Saturday, December 06, 2003
Release planned for Monday, December 08, 2003 at Mailed to a fellow Bookcrosser in n/a, n/a Controlled Releases.

via surface mail to Neena11

Journal Entry 12 by Neena11 from Melfort, Saskatchewan Canada on Friday, December 19, 2003
Picked this up at the post office this morning. Will try to get to it as soon as I can. Thanks Jamieh2003. :)

Journal Entry 13 by Neena11 at on Wednesday, January 21, 2004
Release planned for Thursday, January 22, 2004 at Post office in By post, Sent to another BookCrosser Controlled Releases.

It took me awhile to get into this book, but once I did I really enjoyed it. I'm sending it on it's way to thescreaming next. :)

Journal Entry 14 by thescreaming from Cumberland, Maryland USA on Saturday, January 31, 2004
This came in the mail today. I have another bookring book to finish, then I'll get to this one.

Journal Entry 15 by thescreaming from Cumberland, Maryland USA on Tuesday, March 16, 2004
I had a hard time getting into this book (thus why I've had it for a month and a half). This isn't a genre that I normally read. There were too many acronyms, too many characters to keep track of, and the storylines kept shifting around. Maybe if I had had more time to devote to this book, instead a half hour sitting here and there, then I would have enjoyed it more. My husband would probably enjoy it though.

Will be shipped off to Suzen this weekend.

Journal Entry 16 by suzen from Montreuil, Ile-de-France France on Sunday, September 05, 2004
I just came across this today as I was clearing off my desk. Apparantly it arrived just after I left for the summer at the end of June and my husband just tossed it on the desk with all the other stuff that was there. Anyway, sorry it took so long for me to journal it. I'll try to start it next week as I'm in the middle of some other book rings now. Thanks!

Journal Entry 17 by suzen from Montreuil, Ile-de-France France on Sunday, October 10, 2004
I really enjoyed reading this and found myself looking forward to the times I'd be using public transportation just so I could read a little more. I love all the speculative stuff about language and also enjoyed this 1992 vision of virtual reality.
I'm curious to know if anyone else thinks there's any significance to the fact that "nam-shub" is "bush-man" in reverse.
I'll definitely be on the look-out for other Stephenson books. Thanks for the ring midwinter!!

Journal Entry 18 by midwinter from Tucson, Arizona USA on Monday, November 28, 2005
After several failed attempts to PM people and re-start this stalled ring, it appears to be travelling again. You can follow the future travels here - http://bookcrossing.com/journal/2052507

Journal Entry 19 by lostbookisland on Tuesday, December 06, 2005
With no new journal entries for over a year this book appears to be lost and came dragging up onshore at the Lost Book Island. It is always sad to hear of Bookrings that go astray as there is much hard work into organizing and maintaining them.

The Lost Book Island hopes to comfort this book in its travels and give it a pleasant place to lay down and get some rest and allow it to relax. It is hoped that soon this book will be out and about and playing with the other books.

It is hoped that this book will one day get a journal entry that tells of its current location and that this book will be able to continue the journey that it once set out on.