toast

by Nigel SLATER | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by worldbooknight on 2/25/2011
Journal Entry 1 by worldbooknight on Friday, February 25, 2011
Dear Reader

Welcome to BookCrossing and thanks for being a part of World Book Night 2011, the largest book giveaway in history. 1,000,000 specially printed copies of 25 different books changed hands on March 5th 2011 and began their journey from reader to reader. This book is one of them. World Book Night has joined with BookCrossing to help track these books as they travel. You can be a part of that journey by making a comment in the book's journal here on BookCrossing. Your journal entry can say how you got the book, what you thought of it, your plans for it or whatever else you might like to add.

On BookCrossing you may choose to remain anonymous or join (it's free). If you join, you’ll be alerted by e-mail each time someone makes another journal entry for this specific copy of this book (other copies of the book are travelling with their own ID number. Every copy of every book has a unique ID). It’s all confidential (you’re known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address) and spam-free.

Thanks in advance for being part of World Book Night and BookCrossing. And happy reading and sharing.

Journal Entry 2 by worldbooknight at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, February 25, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (2/25/2011 UTC) at London, Greater London United Kingdom

This book is being released via BookCrossing on 5 March 2011 as part of the inaugural World Book Night. With the full support of the Publishers Association, the Booksellers Association, the Independent Publishers Guild, the Reading Agency with libraries, World Book Day and the BBC, one million books will be given away by an army of passionate readers to members of the public across the UK and Ireland.

Read and release!

Journal Entry 3 by wingchamonix44wing at Brentwood, Essex United Kingdom on Friday, June 17, 2011
Whilst on a recent visit to the UK, I was delighted to find this World Book Night copy of "Toast" in the "Saint Francis Hospice" charity shop in Brentwood, for only 30p!! Although I have read this book before, I couldn't just leave such a great little book waiting there on the bookshelf for someone to buy it! A very special history-making World Book Night copy of it too! So I bought it and I intend to read it again and then hopefully to lend it out to others so that they can enjoy it too!

Journal Entry 4 by wingchamonix44wing at Almelo, Overijssel Netherlands on Saturday, June 18, 2011
Loved this book! I gave it a rating of 9 out of 10. It lost one point because there were some parts of it which I would rather not have read, and which had nothing to do with food! The descriptions of food from Nigel's childhood brought back lots of memories of the way we lived in the 60's, the brand names of foods, school dinners,(and how we were treated by the dinner ladies and dinner monitors at that time, if we ate school dinners),and expressions people used at the time etc.The humour is great! It is also a very moving book and I felt very sorry for this poor little boy who really did suffer from neglect at one point in his life, and then loneliness. I think you need to be a British person who lived in GB during the 60's to really get the most out of this story! I will now see if I can lend it out.

Journal Entry 5 by wingchamonix44wing at Apeldoorn, Gelderland Netherlands on Sunday, June 19, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (6/19/2011 UTC) at Apeldoorn, Gelderland Netherlands

I passed this book on to Pauline today, who is a member of our church congregation and lives in Apeldoorn. Pauline is not a member of bookcrossing, (yet), but who knows what the future holds!!!

I hope you enjoy this book as much as I did, Pauline.

Journal Entry 6 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Apeldoorn, Gelderland Netherlands on Wednesday, July 27, 2011
I've rated this 'average' - as I'm afraid after recently watching his life story on BBC TV recently - which I absolutely LOVED - it was too soon after to read the book. I too had total sympathy for the loneliness that he felt but full of admiration for his strength and achievements.

Journal Entry 7 by wingchamonix44wing at Goor, Overijssel Netherlands on Monday, August 01, 2011
After church today, Pauline returned this book to me. I will now put it in my WBN book box and try to lend it out to another friend.

Journal Entry 8 by wingchamonix44wing at Almelo, Overijssel Netherlands on Saturday, August 06, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (8/6/2011 UTC) at Almelo, Overijssel Netherlands

I delivered this book to my friend, Ieke, today!
I hope you enjoy it Ieke.

Journal Entry 9 by wingchamonix44wing at Almelo, Overijssel Netherlands on Sunday, August 14, 2011
I received the book back from Ieke a couple of days ago. She wrote her review on a piece of paper and inserted it inside the book. This is what she wrote:

"Dear Nicole,
'Toast', a wonderful book, funny and sad and wonderfully written.
I've watched many of Nigel's programmes on TV, and reading his book was just as if he was talking to me.
Brilliant, 10 out of 10!! Thank you for lending it to me.
Ieke"

Journal Entry 10 by wingchamonix44wing at Almelo, Overijssel Netherlands on Saturday, February 25, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (2/24/2012 UTC) at Almelo, Overijssel Netherlands

Yesterday I had an expat meet-up and I showed my World Book Night box of books to all these friends from English speaking lands, who live here in The Netherlands. The result was amazing. Every single book got taken home by someone, (to be returned at a later date, so that I can lend them out again). I know English books are hard to come by here, but these friends are all apparently STARVED of English books!!!!

Most people made a "catch" journal entry here before they left, using my computer, with me standing over them to make sure we got those journal entries!!! There was a computer here .....so why not!!! So many release notes to be made and so many JE's afterwards that I got too tired. So left some Almelo people until today, as the Almelo expats are coming together again today for coffee!!

This book went home with June from Windmolenbroek, Almelo.
Enjoy!

Journal Entry 11 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Almelo, Overijssel Netherlands on Saturday, February 25, 2012
Great book. Reading it now!

Journal Entry 12 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Almelo, Overijssel Netherlands on Monday, August 06, 2012
Really good book. I read it quite quickly, but I didn't see Nicole again until now to give it back. I found the book funny in places and sad in other places. It was lovely to read about memories of foods from my own childhood in the UK. I like Nigel Slater's cookery shows on tv.
I don't usually read but I think I will take another book today and see how it goes.
From June

Journal Entry 13 by wingchamonix44wing at Almelo, Overijssel Netherlands on Monday, August 06, 2012
Well we have yet another expat group meeting and lots of books that I lent out are coming back to me now, and lots are going out again. I might just retire this 2011 WBN book box for now until all my 2012 WBN titles are lent out, although I dont have them all yet. They are so hard to get.