toast

by Nigel SLATER | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by worldbooknight on 2/25/2011
Journal Entry 1 by worldbooknight on Friday, February 25, 2011
Dear Reader

Welcome to BookCrossing and thanks for being a part of World Book Night 2011, the largest book giveaway in history. 1,000,000 specially printed copies of 25 different books changed hands on March 5th 2011 and began their journey from reader to reader. This book is one of them. World Book Night has joined with BookCrossing to help track these books as they travel. You can be a part of that journey by making a comment in the book's journal here on BookCrossing. Your journal entry can say how you got the book, what you thought of it, your plans for it or whatever else you might like to add.

On BookCrossing you may choose to remain anonymous or join (it's free). If you join, you’ll be alerted by e-mail each time someone makes another journal entry for this specific copy of this book (other copies of the book are travelling with their own ID number. Every copy of every book has a unique ID). It’s all confidential (you’re known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address) and spam-free.

Thanks in advance for being part of World Book Night and BookCrossing. And happy reading and sharing.

Journal Entry 2 by worldbooknight at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, February 25, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (2/25/2011 UTC) at London, Greater London United Kingdom

This book is being released via BookCrossing on 5 March 2011 as part of the inaugural World Book Night. With the full support of the Publishers Association, the Booksellers Association, the Independent Publishers Guild, the Reading Agency with libraries, World Book Day and the BBC, one million books will be given away by an army of passionate readers to members of the public across the UK and Ireland.

Read and release!

Journal Entry 3 by teapot at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, July 12, 2012
I told someone at my work about Bookcrossing and he said 'hang on there's one of those sitting in a box at my office' and came back with this! I rarely make wild catches, most of my BC books come from swaps, rabcks or meetings, so I'm very excited to have nabbed this one. Will read & release soon.

Journal Entry 4 by teapot at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 14, 2015
The title should be Toast: The story of a boy's greed.
I don't think it's fair to talk about his "hunger" when really he was always reasonably well fed, even though he didn't always like what he was given and constantly complains about his poor mother's cooking skills. He never went truly hungry once, and the one single time there wasn't any supper he cried.
Nigel seemed so obsessed with food that he hardly had any other interests at all, and he didn't care about the people around him. He went to visit his dying grandma but was only interested in stealing her lemon drops. He only went to visit some lonely old lady because there was cake. He begrudged his best friend's lunches, hoping he would choke on them.

He seemed like rather a covetous and horrid child to be honest. Yelling "I hope you die!" to his mother who can barely stand up straight due to illness, and telling his dad to find himself a better wife who can cook, just because she burned some pudding or forgot to get mince pie filling is not normal behaviour, not even for someone near starvation. Nor is complaining how horrible it was that he was expected to put his dirty laundry in a hamper and pick up after himself, and bitching when his dad got him some sweeties thinking they were his favourites when in fact some other sweeties were.
It's not hard to see why his stepmother didn't like him much and in fact it just makes me think that he isn't representing her fairly, writing his own version of events while she can't defend herself.

Journal Entry 5 by teapot at Akva Bar in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, July 19, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (7/19/2015 UTC) at Akva Bar in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Bringing to a BC meeting this afternoon.

Edit: There were no takers for it this time so I brought it back home with me and it is available once again.

Journal Entry 6 by teapot at Filmhouse Cinema in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, August 17, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (8/17/2017 UTC) at Filmhouse Cinema in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Taking to the Filmhouse cafe this evening!

Journal Entry 7 by wingCassandra2020wing at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 26, 2017
I read this book many years ago and loved it. Felt so much sympathy for Nigel Slater growing up in such a loveless environment.

Anyway, picked up from the filmhouse and destined for my obcz

Journal Entry 8 by wingCassandra2020wing at The Glencorse Centre in Auchendinny, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 03, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (9/27/2017 UTC) at The Glencorse Centre in Auchendinny, Scotland United Kingdom

Released to obcz

Although this book is registered at www.bookcrossing.com, you don't have to be a member. It's perfectly OK to just take the book and enjoy it. Of course, if you can visit the website and let us know that you've picked it up, that would be even better - you don't even have to join, you can add your comments anonymously - you can also post your review when you've read it, then return it or pass it on to someone else.

If you do join Bookcrossing, you'll be able to see what happens to it afterwards - for ever!