toast

by Nigel SLATER | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by worldbooknight on 2/25/2011
Journal Entry 1 by worldbooknight on Friday, February 25, 2011
Dear Reader

Welcome to BookCrossing and thanks for being a part of World Book Night 2011, the largest book giveaway in history. 1,000,000 specially printed copies of 25 different books changed hands on March 5th 2011 and began their journey from reader to reader. This book is one of them. World Book Night has joined with BookCrossing to help track these books as they travel. You can be a part of that journey by making a comment in the book's journal here on BookCrossing. Your journal entry can say how you got the book, what you thought of it, your plans for it or whatever else you might like to add.

On BookCrossing you may choose to remain anonymous or join (it's free). If you join, you’ll be alerted by e-mail each time someone makes another journal entry for this specific copy of this book (other copies of the book are travelling with their own ID number. Every copy of every book has a unique ID). It’s all confidential (you’re known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address) and spam-free.

Thanks in advance for being part of World Book Night and BookCrossing. And happy reading and sharing.

Journal Entry 2 by worldbooknight at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, February 25, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (2/25/2011 UTC) at London, Greater London United Kingdom

This book is being released via BookCrossing on 5 March 2011 as part of the inaugural World Book Night. With the full support of the Publishers Association, the Booksellers Association, the Independent Publishers Guild, the Reading Agency with libraries, World Book Day and the BBC, one million books will be given away by an army of passionate readers to members of the public across the UK and Ireland.

Read and release!

Journal Entry 3 by Pookledo at Loughborough, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 22, 2011
Acquired through Bookmooch.com

Released 8 yrs ago (3/22/2011 UTC) at A Not-So-Secret Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Sending to my NSS partner. hope you like it!

Journal Entry 5 by wingLittleSuzwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, April 24, 2011
Thanks very much Pookledo! I'm chuffed it's a WBN copy too.

Journal Entry 6 by wingLittleSuzwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, September 22, 2011
I really liked this. It's such a great idea, and so brilliantly written. The story is sad, but also warm and nostaglic. Food evokes memories for all of us, and I couldn't help but think of my own associations to many of the foodstuffs and sweets he mentioned.

I also empathised with his frustration at the arbitrary rules grown ups impose about how chocolate bars should or should not be eaten :-)

Journal Entry 7 by wingLittleSuzwing at Biblos, Chambers Street in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, February 02, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (2/2/2012 UTC) at Biblos, Chambers Street in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

If you are new to bookcrossing - welcome and congratulations for finding a book! Please leave a journal entry to let me and any other readers know where it has gone and what you thought of it.

Journal Entry 8 by kinedi at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, February 15, 2013
Many many apologies ! It appears I never logged having picked up this book at the Meet Up, yet it's been in my possession ever since and only just got round to reading it.

It was a total pleasure to read and give us an insight into a different era (and certainly different sweets, many of which I didn't know). I did feel a bit sad for him having lost both his mother and father at such an early age and struggeling to find love and understanding from ''Auntie Joan''. A great book !

Journal Entry 9 by kinedi at Biblos, Chambers Street in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (3/7/2013 UTC) at Biblos, Chambers Street in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

March Meet Up

Journal Entry 10 by bookfrogster at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, March 09, 2013
Caught at the Edinburgh meet up. I loved the TV programme of this book, so think I will like the book even more.

Journal Entry 11 by bookfrogster at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, March 10, 2013
I love the way Slater talked about food and the feelings he associated with different meals and sweets. As the previous readers have also said, some parts are really sad, but don't let that stop you from reading this.

Journal Entry 12 by bookfrogster at Biblos, Chambers Street in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, May 04, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (5/2/2013 UTC) at Biblos, Chambers Street in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Set free at the Edinburgh meet up. Happy reading!