If Morning Ever Comes

by Anne Tyler | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by BookGroupMan of Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on 9/5/2003
Journal Entry 1 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, September 05, 2003
Her first book...

(23/12) Review to follow

Journal Entry 2 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 04, 2005
Despite Tyler only being in her early twenties when she wrote this, and the book’s age (written in 1964), it shows a mature touch and surprisingly timeless & lasting appeal. The book follows the twenty-something Ben Joe Hawkes home from college for an impromptu visit, facing a coming of age dilemma (or even an early mid-life crisis?) Typical of Tyler, its all very subtle - a brilliantly observed, character-based kitchen-sink drama. And, also typical, you care for the main characters; Ben and his many sisters, his hard-working widowed mother, his grandmother facing her own mortality, to name but a few of the dozens of human stories packed into 187 pages.

(ex lib copy)

Journal Entry 3 by BookGroupMan at on Saturday, January 15, 2005

Released 14 yrs ago (1/15/2005 UTC) at

Released at our 2nd Ipswich meet-up

Journal Entry 4 by winglelliewing from Trimley St Mary, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, January 15, 2005
Picked up at my first ever BC meet-up.

Journal Entry 5 by winglelliewing from Trimley St Mary, Suffolk United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 18, 2005
I finished this last night, thanks so much bookgroupman for giving me the chance to read it, I almost missed it in the heap on the table!
I discovered Anne Tyler only last year when I picked up Patchwork Planet from a charity shop, and I have Back When We Were Grownups and Amateur Marriage on my massive tbr shelf.
I read this one first as it was her first novel and I thought it made sense.
Her writing is just brilliant, almost deceptively simple but with great depth and a superb sense of place.
I really cared about Ben Joe, he reminded me of my younger son.
I don't know if this will stand a wild release as it is literally falling apart. I'll see if I can do a repair job before I let it go.
Thanks again.

Journal Entry 6 by winglelliewing from Trimley St Mary, Suffolk United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 12, 2005
Sending to veganknitter, a trade.

Journal Entry 7 by veganknitter from Bolton, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Saturday, July 16, 2005
Received from redhouse - thanks!

I love Ann Tyler; thought the book was excellent.

It had all her usual trademarks, the dysfunctional / eccentric family, a sensitive narrator and bitter sweet romance.

Released 14 yrs ago (10/3/2005 UTC) at == by post or by hand == in Richmond upon Thames, Greater London United Kingdom

My mum claimed this out of my case.

She's a big Ann Tyler fan and hadn't read this one.

She is also under strict instructions to pass on via a local charity shop so who knows where it will end up next.